What martial art compliments Judo better Taekwondo or Hapkido?

Reaction score
What martial arts do you think would compliment or blend better with Judo TKD or Hapkido? Also what other martial arts in your opinion blend well with Judo?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The preying mantis system is good to blend in with Judo. The preying mantis is famous in fast hand combo. If you can use fast hand combo to set up your clinch, you can then apply the Judo throw after that.

For example,

- You throw a right back fist, your opponent blocks it with right arm.
- You slide your right hand to his right wrist.
- You move you left hand onto his right elbow joint.

You then have established your sleeve grip that's needed for your Judo throw.

In the following clip, when his left hand has controlled on his opponent's right elbow, he uses right punch at his opponent's head.

When your left hand has control on your opponent's elbow, if you use right hand to push on his right shoulder, use your right leg to cut his right leg, that will be a judo throw Osoto Gari.

With that right elbow control (Judo sleeve hold), you can apply almost any Judo throw that you like.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What martial arts do you think would compliment or blend better with Judo TKD or Hapkido? Also what other martial arts in your opinion blend well with Judo?
My primary art is more similar to Hapkido, so I tend to prefer it. I think you'll find that's true of most folks' responses here. If I was looking at a "roundedness" approach, there's an advantage in each direction. Hapkido will provide some small locks and aiki-based throws that Judo doesn't have in the curriculum, plus strikes. TKD will (if you find the right school) provide a better striking base (though it might be weak on hands, but you've got a great base there, so I'm not sure how much that matters).

I trained Judo and Shotokan Karate at the same time. I rather like that mix, because Shotokan (as it is often taught) isn't great up close, and the grappling of Judo isn't great from a step and a half away, so they balance well.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. OP has experience in that one, and is looking for a TMA, per his posts in the other thread.
<shrug>
He asked, "Also what other martial arts in your opinion blend well with Judo?" That's my answer. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say TKD as there will be less overlap (making it harder to learn, but will give you more breadth).

If you're a beginner, I would suggest sticking with one art until you get your black belt before you add on your second art.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
My answer to all these type of question....who cares.

Go for one you enjoy not one you think you have to do. It's about enjoyment more than anything. If you train a style because it compliments another style then you may not enjoy it as much as another that doesn't compliment it. Just try out the styles find one you enjoy

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a number of good options for blending with Judo. Okinawan Karate would seem to be a good choice to me if you can find a good school that trains with resistance. However, something like Thai Boxing would probably work well also.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hapkido could help enhance your Judo, or Taekwondo could give you a more well-rounded experience and give you something to use when you're at a further range.

Both Judo and Taekwondo can be a sport or a self-defense art, while Hapkido is pure self defense, so if you like the sport aspect in the training Taekwondo would definitely be the way to go.

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What the heck is Hapkido? lol

This is my first time hearing that. I think I'll go google it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What the heck is Hapkido? lol

This is my first time hearing that. I think I'll go google it.
Really? I can't tell if you're serious.

I guess I'll just reply as if you are.

Hapkido (HKD) is one of the more popular/famous Korean based martial arts, following, of course, Tae Kwon Do (TKD). While there are various "histories" promoted for HKD the most entertaining (and least likely) of which is a direct interpretation of Daito Ryu Ju Jutsu. The physical expression of HKD is usually a sort of blending of the general long range kicking associated with TKD and Joint Locking associated with Aikido-like martial arts. A few decades ago, it was common for HDK to be taught in the same school as TKD, often billed as a supplement to TKD.

This is, of course, a laughably over-simplified description which misses many variations of HKD which might include boxing-like techniques, Judo-like grappling, and/or BJJ-like ground work.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? I can't tell if you're serious.

I guess I'll just reply as if you are.

Hapkido (HKD) is one of the more popular/famous Korean based martial arts, following, of course, Tae Kwon Do (TKD). While there are various "histories" promoted for HKD the most entertaining (and least likely) of which is a direct interpretation of Daito Ryu Ju Jutsu. The physical expression of HKD is usually a sort of blending of the general long range kicking associated with TKD and Joint Locking associated with Aikido-like martial arts. A few decades ago, it was common for HDK to be taught in the same school as TKD, often billed as a supplement to TKD.

This is, of course, a laughably over-simplified description which misses many variations of HKD which might include boxing-like techniques, Judo-like grappling, and/or BJJ-like ground work.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I vaguely recall a moment in my life when I read the word "Hapkido". But outside of that, I've never heard of it until now.

Thanks for the information.