What is the Difference between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tang Soo Do?

ewright909

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been wondering a long time about this.

I cant find any good sources on the differences between these two arts.

What exactly are their fighting styles and how different are they?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

What similarities can you find between them? Because I'm not sure how you are failing to find differences...

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score

Umm...... they are quite different. The only similarity that I could assume you are referring to kung fu influence on Tang Soo Do. While TSD does have kung fu influences, It is still extremely different from Shaolin Kung fu.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You won't find much comparing these two, because they are quite different. Most comparisons you find will either be arts with something in common (e.g.: comparing throws and principles in Judo and Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu), comparing categories of arts (e.g.: mostly-striking arts vs. mostly-grappling arts), or comparing specific styles someone is considering (what's available at local schools).

Reaction score
Tang soon do, and shaolin, tae kwon do, Karate hsing I, Pa Kua, Tai Chi, Wing chun, praying mantis, etc..are all very similar, they are built on Ararat Hands form which started at shaolin. Progressions of this form create difference in the systems.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tang Soo Do is essentially Korean karate using Shotokan karate forms albeit slightly changed with regard to kicks and chambering motion. Depending on the lineage of the school, they may also practice a few Chinese art-influenced forms.

There are countless arts that can call themselves "Shaolin kung fu". A more qualifying term would be needed to begin to even approach discussing what you mean. Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Shaolin-do, etc...

Reaction score
Are you trying to say it's as old as the Ark?
The Ark was about 4300 years ago martial art claims are before that the time limit is 6700 years since the suns creation to block the garden. So someone in Noahs ark had to of known martial arts however history after about 7 years if not recorded properly starts to degrade, and change sometimes even if recorded properly. That doesn't change history which is a art of teaching how not to make mistakes.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Ark was about 4300 years ago martial art claims are before that the time limit is 6700 years since the suns creation to block the garden. So someone in Noahs ark had to of known martial arts however history after about 7 years if not recorded properly starts to degrade, and change sometimes even if recorded properly. That doesn't change history which is a art of teaching how not to make mistakes.
Noah and his ark is a story, it is not historical fact. Same for the garden. It's a story, it's a mythology, it is not historical fact.

Reaction score
Tang Soo Do is essentially Korean karate using Shotokan karate forms albeit slightly changed with regard to kicks and chambering motion. Depending on the lineage of the school, they may also practice a few Chinese art-influenced forms.

There are countless arts that can call themselves "Shaolin kung fu". A more qualifying term would be needed to begin to even approach discussing what you mean. Northern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Shaolin-do, etc...
Pretty much martial arts are like the yellow river in Chinese culture it's long sometimes turbulent sometime's serine. You just jump in and take a ride it's far to vast to cover everyour square inch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh good grief, that will teach me to be sarcastic!

I do like the idea though of a Jewish chap, Noah doing the first martial arts, wait for it...was it Jewjitsu? :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh good grief, that will teach me to me sarcastic!

I do like the idea though of a Jewish chap, Noah doing the first martial arts, wait for it...was it Jewjitsu? :D
No, Tez, nothing will teach you that lesson. :p

(Or me, apparently, for that matter.)

Reaction score
Noah and his ark is a story, it is not historical fact. Same for the garden. It's a story, it's a mythology, it is not historical fact.
Were you there? Holds as much water as any other stories or theory's. Sorry you failed religious studies, and history, western civilization, mathematics, english, literature, and physics, and hydraulic sience or any science feild. All with one fatal error. Perhaps you should rethink the equation.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tang soon do, and shaolin, tae kwon do, Karate hsing I, Pa Kua, Tai Chi, Wing chun, praying mantis, etc..are all very similar, they are built on Ararat Hands form which started at shaolin. Progressions of this form create difference in the systems.

There is documented history on Chinese martial arts that has nothing to do with "Ararat Hands" Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do and KArate all have Chiese martial arts roots. Pa Kua (aka Bagua) has its roots in Taoist Circle walking and Taoism is indigenous to China. Xingyi is documented as coming Form Dai family Xinyi with possible influences from Yue Fei and his spear technique. Taijiquan is a bit of a conglomerate that appears to be from some source outside of the Chen family combined with what the Chen family already knew and a bit of an influence from the I Ching (a Taoist text) Wing Chun has a few different possible origins, none even close to the origins of the other CMA styles you listed. As for Praying Mantis, I know little about the style other than there are a few different versions.

Never heard of, can't find any legitimate reference to Ararat Hands and doubt it has any connection to Chinese Martial arts.

What I find amazing in such claims that are attempting to connect all martial arts to one source, be that Shaolin, Ararat hands or some guy named Sid in Babylon is that it seems to be based on the thought that humans are incapable of coming up with things, even similar things, independently from one another. But yet Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz can come up with Calculus at roughly the same time independently of one another and no one bats an eye. So why can't humans, all by themselves, figure out ways of beating the living daylights out of one another with out any external influence at all.

And with that I will end with Shuaijiao, the oldest serving martial at today comes from "jiao di" which is know to have existed in 2697 BC which is over 4700 years ago

Problem here is Sima Qian, the Yellow Emperor Classic and jiao di. Not arguing biblical history or Noah or the ark. Frankly I think that there is a lot of history in the Bible, but over the centuries it has been written and rewritten and changed more than once in the name of religion. And although I believe there are important things in the book, the dates and times are not to be taken to literally. But this is my opinion of the Bible.

And Sima Qian (Chinese historian of the Han dynasty) holds a lot more water than what you are claiming and to respond with things like "Were you there?" and "Sorry you failed church and history." is not going to cut it of you are going to make claims about things that have no historical support, and I am talking the "4300" claim and the "6700" claim as to the creation of the sun. That is so easily refuted by astrological and archeological records and discoveries it is ludicrous to even make such a claim.

Now I am not questioning God, religion or any thing of the like. I am simply saying what you are claiming is incorrect.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Were you there? Holds as much water as any other stories or theory's. Sorry you failed religious studies, and history, western civilization, mathematics, english, literature, and physics, and hydraulic sience or any science feild. All with one fatal error. Perhaps you should rethink the equation.
Oh I get the water joke, with Noah and all. Now THAT is funny.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is documented history on Chinese martial arts that has nothing to do with "Ararat Hands" Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do and KArate all have Chiese martial arts roots. Pa Kua (aka Bagua) has its roots in Taoist Circle walking and Taoism is indigenous to China. Xingyi is documented as coming Form Dai family Xinyi with possible influences from Yue Fei and his spear technique. Taijiquan is a bit of a conglomerate that appears to be from some source outside of the Chen family combined with what the Chen family already knew and a bit of an influence from the I Ching (a Taoist text) Wing Chun has a few different possible origins, none even close to the origins of the other CMA styles you listed. As for Praying Mantis, I know little about the style other than there are a few different versions.

Never heard of, can't find any legitimate reference to Ararat Hands and doubt it has any connection to Chinese Martial arts.

What I find amazing in such claims that are attempting to connect all martial arts to one source, be that Shaolin, Ararat hands or some guy named Sid in Babylon is that it seems to be based on the thought that humans are incapable of coming up with things, even similar things, independently from one another. But yet Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz can come up with Calculus at roughly the same time independently of one another and no one bats an eye. So why can't humans, all by themselves, figure out ways of beating the living daylights out of one another with out any external influence at all.

And with that I will end with Shuaijiao, the oldest serving martial at today comes from "jiao di" which is know to have existed in 2697 BC which is over 4700 years ago

Problem here is Sima Qian, the Yellow Emperor Classic and jiao di. Not arguing biblical history or Noah or the ark. Frankly I think that there is a lot of history in the Bible, but over the centuries it has been written and rewritten and changed more than once in the name of religion. And although I believe there are important things in the book, the dates and times are not to be taken to literally. But this is my opinion of the Bible.

And Sima Qian (Chinese historian of the Han dynasty) holds a lot more water than what you are claiming and to respond with things like "Were you there?" and "Sorry you failed church and history." is not going to cut it of you are going to make claims about things that have no historical support, and I am talking the "4300" claim and the "6700" claim as to the creation of the sun. That is so easily refuted by astrological and archeological records and discoveries it is ludicrous to even make such a claim.

Now I am not questioning God, religion or any thing of the like. I am simply saying what you are claiming is incorrect.
Oh and just to be clear, I DID fail church. Yup, that much is true! :)

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This whole dialogue is ridiculous.
I'm going to guess that the OP, who hasn't been back since his initial question has been watching sparring videos on YouTube and based on that, can't tell the difference between Tang Soon Do and things calling themselves Shoalin Kung Fu.

This whole thing is a custom rathole.

Latest Discussions