What is the Difference between Shaolin Kung Fu and Tang Soo Do?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just peakin around to see how many tao I can see. I have special kung-fu to discuss with someone but until I find the sun and moon, and jonah''s fish it would be irrelevant for anyone else. If someone understand's me they will already know what I'm talking about so it's pretty much a troll for the rest of you. But to the person who knows what I'm saying it will be like finding gold.

If you're looking for Taoist believers I think you came to the wrong place. Also you appear to be mixing up your religions a bit. The joining of the sun and the moon is a reference to a Taoist text which talks about the dawn of the new month where the sun and the moon join together and give birth to life, whereas the story of jonah getting swallowed by a fish is from the book of Jonah in the old testament of the bible.

So, are you a christian or a taoist? You can't really be both as the 2 philosophies contradict one another. Oh and on a side note, if you believe the story that all Kungfu was developed from the Shaolin monks starting with Lohan18, then you would also believe that Kungfu came from Buddhism not Taoism......Just FYI

Reaction score
And the face of God was opon the deep

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-17-13-35-46.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-17-13-35-46.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 151

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not particularly sayin but "Aliens". Joking five elements in hsing I is definitely 18 lohan, pa kua rou shu is kinda hard to do without the movement, tai chi fair lady weaves shuttle is the 4 diagonals, grasp sparrow is the four straights, which all have it in yang, I'm not saying it is all the same but would you agree the core movement is.

Nope, I've done 18 Lohan and I do Xingyiquan Wuxingquan not the same and not historically connected either and Xingyi 5 elements is not 18 lohan. There is no accepted history of Xingyiquan to even support that. As Bagua there it may be influenced by 18 lohan, Dong Haichuan trained a lot of stuff, but the main historically accepted view is it mainly comes from Daoist circle walking qigong form. Similar names of forms/postures does not prove a link.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep taoist, I'm slowly bringing everyone to understanding what 18 lohan, and sil lim tao. Is

Now suddenly we're talking about Sil Lim Tao which is the name of the first taolu of Wing Chun, which according to legend was first developed by a Buddhist nun. Again, not Taoist is the slightest.....Keep trying and eventually you'll hit the mark.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not particularly sayin but "Aliens". Joking five elements in hsing I is definitely 18 lohan, pa kua rou shu is kinda hard to do without the movement, tai chi fair lady weaves shuttle is the 4 diagonals, grasp sparrow is the four straights, which all have it in yang, I'm not saying it is all the same but would you agree the core movement is.
There are only so many ways to move the human body. That two bits share the same movement is far from being evidence of one being the foundation of the other, or any other relationship. It would take far more evidence of provenance to establish that.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
THIS IS NOT AN RELIGUSE DISCUTION FORUM.
I honestly feel that we have gone so far off the actual question that this thread was meant to talk about.
:facepalm:

Agreed, If "Grandmaster" Yue men quan wish to discuss religion and 18 Lohan I suggest he start a thread about it. As for me, I apologize for the thread derailment, but when I see gross misrepresentation about things Chinese martial arts and Chinese martial arts history I tend to respond.

I do however wonder if "Grandmaster" Yue men quan has any idea what it means to be called a "Grandmaster" in martial arts circle on mainland China, talking Chinese to Chinese marital artist

Reaction score
Katate has a central movement hidden in the 8 compulsory forms it's the I pattern for the feet and a specific hand movement for the hands. When you learn them it's your transition from apprentice to journey man. There in every martial art. There pretty much the same in all martial arts. That is why I am spending the time to actually write this because I keep hearing are these the same as this or that, and should I study form A or B on a lot of sights. Stick with it one day it all falls into place. Regardless of where you study or the art. It's worth it everyone who came before that understands knows it grows in you like a plant. You water it nurture it, by teaching it's parts but the transformation happens individually.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear on my end, I am not trying to hate on any religion or philosophical ideal, just please have enough courtesy to start a thread about it. At least then people can actually stay on topic. I only care because 1) Tang Soo Do is the martial art I have trained in for years, and 2) it is just respectful to the OP.

Katate has a central movement hidden in the 8 compulsory forms it's the I pattern for the feet and a specific hand movement for the hands. When you learn them it's your transition from apprentice to journey man. There in every martial art. There pretty much the same in all martial arts. That is why I am spending the time to actually write this because I keep hearing are these the same as this or that, and should I study form A or B on a lot of sights. Stick with it one day it all falls into place. Regardless of where you study or the art. It's worth it everyone who came before that understands knows it grows in you like a plant. You water it nurture it, by teaching it's parts but the transformation happens individually.

That is fine, just realize that you look at what you post before you post it. Sometimes things can derail the conversation. Mistakes happen from time to time, but there are other threads where that and be the focus. Then you will be able to find like-minded people and a chance for a valuable discussion.

So far this thread has goth through more styles and history than I can pronounce or can remember.
:confused:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear on my end, I am not trying to hate on any religion or philosophical ideal, just please have enough courtesy to start a thread about it. At least then people can actually stay on topic. I only care because 1) Tang Soo Do is the martial art I have trained in for years, and 2) it is just respectful to the OP.

That is fine, just realize that you look at what you post before you post it. Sometimes things can derail the conversation. Mistakes happen from time to time, but there are other threads where that and be the focus. Then you will be able to find like-minded people and a chance for a valuable discussion.

So far this thread has goth through more styles and history than I can pronounce or can remember.
:confused:
Welcome to the Martial Talk Swerve. It's a dance craze here.

Reaction score
Sorry all the notifications come up on the same list pane must be a technical issues I've been responding to 4 different posts on this same feeday I'm bowing out for the day.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only care because 1) Tang Soo Do is the martial art I have trained in for years, and 2) it is just respectful to the OP.

No one is disrespecting TSD, something I have also trained in.
Now the OP, well, if he is going to wax lyrical with nonsensical ramblings of ersatz religion and faux spiritual ramblings as well as pretending he has the 'Way' while we don't you are going to have to expect the thread to go off topic PDQ.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No one is disrespecting TSD, something I have also trained in.
Now the OP, well, if he is going to wax lyrical with nonsensical ramblings of ersatz religion and faux spiritual ramblings as well as pretending he has the 'Way' while we don't you are going to have to expect the thread to go off topic PDQ.

Not only that but he can't seem to decide whether he is Taoist, Buddhist or Christian. It's quite comical in a way, but I do wish he would make up his mind and stick to one religion rather than quoting from all 3 when they contradict each other.

Latest Discussions