Different types of Tang Soo Do?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master K,

Would you be willing to cite specific examples of the differences in philosohies? What in particular are you referring to that has made SBD and TSD so different?

I only ask because I personally have not seen them.

I fully understand the heartburn that many have over the name changes and trademark/copyright issues. I was on a "break" from training during tha time, so I wasnt' around to witness it, but I have seen the aftermath. Much of it is VERY evident in Korea, as it is still a VERY VERY sore subject with the older Masters there.

Aside from those legal issues and the emphasis of some hyung over others, I haven't seen any signification differences in my experience.

B.Redfield

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MasterK states
"one must keep in mind that the some of the Grandmasters that left the US Tang Soo Do Federation were sued or threatened to be sued by that organization and as a result these Grandmasters were forced to modify the forms in one way or another."

I disagree, to my mind, when you look at when these different Organizations were formed, the material that was current at the time is more in line with what they have as curriculum, with minor changes for some, evolving as it were, and others have created their own forms, to further identify themselves as separate entities.

TANG SOO!
redtandsoodo.com

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have noticed that most of the separated TSD organizations are very interested in maintaining their heritage and staying true to the original philosophies that they were taught. I see no problem with that. There are also a great deal of stories floating around out there regarding the circumstances under which the differnet older masters left the federation....I imagine that the true is somewhere in there, but in general, not as bad as people make it sound.

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
MasterK states
"one must keep in mind that the some of the Grandmasters that left the US Tang Soo Do Federation were sued or threatened to be sued by that organization and as a result these Grandmasters were forced to modify the forms in one way or another."

I disagree, to my mind, when you look at when these different Organizations were formed, the material that was current at the time is more in line with what they have as curriculum, with minor changes for some, evolving as it were, and others have created their own forms, to further identify themselves as separate entities.

TANG SOO!
redtandsoodo.com

Master Redfield,

I do not think that some of the Grandmasters of these other organizations would share your opinion. Some of it is a matter of public record, and some of it I have gathered through candid conversations with the individuals involved. Anyway...it really doesn't matter much. After all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and viewpoint on topics.

Respectfully,
Master K.

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
Master K,

Would you be willing to cite specific examples of the differences in philosohies? What in particular are you referring to that has made SBD and TSD so different?

I only ask because I personally have not seen them.

I fully understand the heartburn that many have over the name changes and trademark/copyright issues. I was on a "break" from training during tha time, so I wasnt' around to witness it, but I have seen the aftermath. Much of it is VERY evident in Korea, as it is still a VERY VERY sore subject with the older Masters there.

Aside from those legal issues and the emphasis of some hyung over others, I haven't seen any signification differences in my experience.

MBuzzy,

I haven't been here in quite some time. I will send you a PM regarding your question.

Respectfully,
Master K.

Gi1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dear MBuzy

Could you tel me what the 10 Ship Dan Kuhm are as I haven't encountered them as yet.

Thans

B.Redfield

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Master K,

After re-reading my post I see the way I wrote it was not how it was in my mind, as is the case many times on the web. I did not mean to imply that the MDK did not jump to sue or threaten, that was always their modus operandai, case in point, not long ago look what happened to a certain high dan I'm sure you know, who only made a video tape and was attacked my the MDK, to their great loss, he has left.
Anyway, This use of heavy handedness is of course what happened back in late 75 when became it nessessary to hold the famous meeting, really to take control of the US money wagon. Many very senior members were literally swept aside so the founder could place his son in the head position of the new ustsdmdkf inplace of the many much more seniors here who worked so hard to grow TSD it was after this that many left to form their own organizations. And being as it was his creation who could really blame him for keeping it in the family. I could go on and on

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dear MBuzy

Could you tel me what the 10 Ship Dan Kuhm are as I haven't encountered them as yet.

Thans

They are just another set of hyung. Chances are that you won't run into them either. They were published in the Hangul version of Volume 2 and there are some Koreans around that still know them as they were intended, but for some reason, they never made their way to the states or to other countries.

F

foggymorning162

Something that can be very revealing is the name of the organization. For example, some name the organization after the grandmaster (Cheezic), some name it based on some permutation of the name of the style (International Tang Soo Do Federation), some use Korean to convey the point (Ki Guk Kwan - American school); I personally feel that the name can reavel a lot about that particular organization or style.
I think you can read whatever you want into a name you just need to make the right arguements to make your point, but just for arguements sake if you were to start your own org. what would you name it and why?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you can read whatever you want into a name you just need to make the right arguements to make your point, but just for arguements sake if you were to start your own org. what would you name it and why?

I'm not quite sure that I follow you...It seems to me that the name of an organization should most certainly have something to do with the intent and specific permutation. For example, an organization who chooses to use the Moo Duk Kwan name, is this to honor their heritage, to indicate their lineage? Or Mi Guk Kwan, is obviously an American version or branch of the Korean art. An organization named after their grandmaster is obviously making a statement regarding the grandmaster's influence to their teaching. Each individual should examine this.

Personally, I would never start my own organization, but for argument's sake, the name that I would prefer to use, I would not be allowed to use due to copyright. Personally, if I were to name a TSD organization, I feel that I would owe credit to my lineage in the name.

Latest Discussions