What is a Sensei?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this day of instant everything, where, anyone can become a teacher, in just about anything, what does the title Sensei, mean to you?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sensei is the one who teaches class in a dojo. Sempai is his assistant.
I don't think any more of it than that.

My regular instructor is a kyu level, but on the mat we address him as sensei.
If the head sensei (renshi 5th dan) teaches class, then he is called sensei and our regular instructor gets called sempai.
If the head sensei is visiting Japan and trains with Tanemura sensei, he is just Filip.

It's all relative imo.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

The title "Sensei" translates as "one who has gone before", meaning that the Sensei has already been there, done that, gone through what they are guiding the student through, and, hopefully, made the same stupid mistakes before so they can better assist another in the exploration of a system/art/style/way. If the title is bestowed before the person has the requisite experience (in the case of young kids getting high ranking and then teaching without the maturity necessary), then I would personally be hesitant to use the term.

However, I do use the term for teachers other than my own (direct or indirect) as a sign of respect to their skills, knowledge, experience, and dedication. So you will see me use it even for (Japanese) arts I don't train in.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not The 23rd Psalm

Sensei is my teacher, I shall not whine.
He maketh me to do pushups.
He hurteth me with situps.
He correcteth my form.
He leadeth me in kata and bunkai for our art's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the dojo in the storefront next to the liquor store,
I will fear no kumite.
My sai and my bo, they comfort me.

Sensei prepareth a belt test for me in the presence of mine fellow karate-ka.
Sensei smacketh my head with a bo for failing to block; my brains runneth over.

Surely Ace bandages and Tiger Balm shall be applied to me all the days of my life,
And I will test for my next belt the day after never.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The merits of the study of Martial Arts goes beyond fighting and exercise, IMO. When we talk about respect, integrity, honesty, humility, where do they fit into MA study. Would we surmise or assume, that anybody that is leading a class would be on the right road to achieving these virtues? Would we expect the head of the dojo to have these as part of their teaching? Is it something that is, or should be important within out endeavors to learn MA?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes I think those are reasonable expectations.
Personally I think the word "mentor" is the closest possible english word to try and describe what a sensei is, or perhaps just a person to be held in high esteem.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone that points the way. Sometimes they have to push, or pull you as well. And sometimes they carry you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me the sensei/sifu is the teacher. Pretty simple.

He is the one that others look to for guidance and knowledge. Pretty simple.

He is one of about a hundred other titles that come up at varying times. Not so simple.

Latest Discussions