What makes a Sensei?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, since Sensei is a Japanese term applied to you by someone else, and not used to refer to yourself, a sensei would necessarily require someone else to call them one...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was refering to experince, teaching style, etc. and not the literal translation

I think Kreth is right, if we are practising a Japanese martial art we should go with the customs too.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was refering to experince, teaching style, etc. and not the literal translation

Maybe, but then perhaps a better term would suit. "Sensei" is a Japanese term, understanding what it means too a Japanese speaking person I'd consider more important then the western twisting of it into a formal title people put on there business cards. (A big no-no by Japanese standards)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe, but then perhaps a better term would suit. "Sensei" is a Japanese term, understanding what it means too a Japanese speaking person I'd consider more important then the western twisting of it into a formal title people put on there business cards. (A big no-no by Japanese standards)

Yeah... if you think of Sensei as translating something like `honored sir', but with implications of teaching responsibilities, you get more of the idea. It's a term of address, and for other people to use to refer to you, as has been pointed out already.

Japanese and Korean both possess a system of honorific marking which identifies someone you are talking about as one deserving of a certain formal deference. And you wouldn't use those grammatical elements in connection with yourself, any more than you would use Sensei about yourself. It's not a title like `Professor'.

It definitely doesn't look good to a member of that culture, and speakers of that language, when you call yourself Sensei, or try to associate specific professional qualities with the term...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Take a look at the following article by Rob Redmond, who runs one of the more interestiing karate sites, has trained extensively and lived for extended periods in Japan, is reasonably fluent in Japanese and has taught Shotokan for many years. It covers about as much as anyone might want to know about what the term denotes, how it's properly used, who uses it, and where it actually appears (after the person's name, not before). Note in particular the following observations:

For example, I studied Karate under Katayama-sensei. I do not say “Sensei Katayama,” because the Japanese put titles after names. The Japanese speak names as family name first, given name next, and any title follows after that. Calling me “Sensei Rob” is backwards. It should be “Rob Sensei,” though I do not ask that anyone ever refer to me in that way. Here at home, “Rob” will be fine, thank you. Sensei is also a spoken title for another person. For example, I would never print business cards in Japan that said, “Rob-sensei” on them, because I would be referring to myself using an honorific expression, and in the Japanese language, that is considered very rude. Instead, I would refer to myself as “Rob” on my business card, and under that, as a title, I might put the name of the Karate club that I teach at. I could also use the word “kyoshi” toward myself, because it is a generic word meaning “teacher.”

(all emphases mine.)

And in particular, consider the following:

Sensei is usually translated to mean “teacher,” but it can be used also toward a doctor, lawyer, teacher, professor, or scientist as a way of saying “sir” very politely. In fact, some Japanese use the word to refer to male senior citizens when they are being very polite.

I'd strongly recommend reading the whole article carefully, Mr. Payne.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, HUMBELNESS...HONEST..TRUEFUL...LOYAL..AND DEDICATED TO THE STUDENTS LEARNING...and one with knowledge they are teaching...

Sensi is just a Japanese word for Teacher....any type of teacher.

Like calling someone..MR, Mrs, Docter, and so on...sign of respect..

Anyone can be a teacher...only a few will be a true "Sensi" ...one who earns the respect of their students!

All Sensi's /Teachers are role models for others...good or bad.

Aloha, ..a true Sensi...is UNSEFLFISHES..in sharing their knowledge with others...

PS: (anyone can be a "Sensi" for others...)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
And in particular, consider the following:

Sensei is usually translated to mean “teacher,” but it can be used also toward a doctor, lawyer, teacher, professor, or scientist as a way of saying “sir” very politely. In fact, some Japanese use the word to refer to male senior citizens when they are being very polite.
Sensei directly translated is "one who has gone before," which is why it can be used beyond just a "teacher." An instructor could refer to a pupil older than he as "sensei" should he choose to.

Lamont

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Sensei" does not mean teacher, it is a honorific suffix used when refering to someone of a higher level on the social structure. Teachers, Doctors, older people, etc.

A teacher would be refered to as "___-Sensei", but the suffix "-sensei" does not mean "teacher".

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[/indent]Sensei directly translated is "one who has gone before," which is why it can be used beyond just a "teacher." An instructor could refer to a pupil older than he as "sensei" should he choose to.

Lamont

Yup, I had a Japanese Kendo instructor, he always referred to students that where older then him as "sensei."

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the recipe for a Sensei, not just a teacher, but a Sensei in the martial arts...?

Back to what I think is the original spirit of your question, though in common parlance, there is not really an effective difference between "sensei" as used in the west, and "teacher."
But in my opinion; "Willing to teach, willing to learn, able to teach, able to learn."

Lamont

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Part of what I was getting at in my first post (aside from the incorrect use of the term) is that you can't make yourself a sensei. Others name you sensei.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, So far the best defination: "one who has gone before"

This still means anyone can be a "Sensi" .....if a child walk on the ice lake and falls in......he will teach us not to follow his path.....

"Hey (child) ...Sensi...you need help? ...he taught us not to walk this way?

Sensi, Instructor, Sempi, Professor,Sifu, and so on...are signs of respect

Aloha,

PS: A true teacher...shows more respect to his students...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[/indent]Sensei directly translated is "one who has gone before," which is why it can be used beyond just a "teacher." An instructor could refer to a pupil older than he as "sensei" should he choose to.

Lamont

"Sensei" does not mean teacher, it is a honorific suffix used when refering to someone of a higher level on the social structure. Teachers, Doctors, older people, etc.

A teacher would be refered to as "___-Sensei", but the suffix "-sensei" does not mean "teacher".

This is a common problem when translating from one language to another - especially from one language family to another language family. The connotations of "sensei" are, to my understanding, lost in the translation, and in addition to being a term of respect, also, if I understood what I was told, includes the idea of the mentor/student relationship, which is different than the Western conception of the teacher/student relationship.

OP
Sensei Payne

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
i was named Sensei, by my Sensei...I tested and trained for my tittle...yes I put the Sensei in front of my name first, but that was also before I learned more of the Japanese Language...

I would never call myself a Sensei unless the tittle where given to me, the tittle is a responsibility to teach and to preform to the best of my ability...not only do I have to push myself, but I have to push others as well, and there is only one way to lead, and thats by example.

Latest Discussions