What makes a Sensei?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the thing though, it isn't a title, not in proper usage anyways. I think the closest comparrison would be claiming "Mister" as a title, or awarding it as one. Except that "sensei" is used towards people higher up on the social ladder, and never used towards yourself. There really is no direct comparisson in English.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the thing though, it isn't a title, not in proper usage anyways. I think the closest comparrison would be claiming "Mister" as a title, or awarding it as one. Except that "sensei" is used towards people higher up on the social ladder, and never used towards yourself. There really is no direct comparisson in English.
I usually use "Sir" as a comparison. You might refer to someone you respect as Sir, but you would never use it as a title for yourself, unless you've been knighted... :lol:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually use "Sir" as a comparison. You might refer to someone you respect as Sir, but you would never use it as a title for yourself, unless you've been knighted... :lol:

So.. "Sensei, Please step out of the vehicle and place your hands on the hood."

or, "Excuse me Sensei, I'm going to have to ask you to vacate the premises."

I like it :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor was my sensei and yes I called him that. He helped to guide me not only in the martial arts but also in some other parts of my life. I thought of him as a friend, instructor, and someone I could go to with questions beyond the martial area.
I have never allowed, nor will I my students to call me sensei. Fist off i teach a primarily Filipino system not a Japanese or okinawian one, secondly to me there will only be one sensei in the system I came up in at that was my instructor.
Now I have seen many new black belts put a label on their uniforms that says SENSEI and watched them strut around like they have accomplished something. To me this has always seemed wrong as they have not earned the right to be called SENSEI yet. After years of training students if the students call them sensei thats fine but I do not feel the title, name, recognition comes just by becoming a black belt

and don't even get me started on those that call themselves JR SENSEI

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most 'Sirs' here don't use the title for themselves,it's what they are referred to by other people usually as a mark of respect, to get knighted these days means you've usually done something worthy of respect ( despite the recent scandal about honours for cash lol)

I'm afraid I tend to look upon people who put titles with their usernames on a martial arts forum as being a bit pretentious, sorry just my opinion! I guess I miss the point really.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the recipe for a Sensei, not just a teacher, but a Sensei in the martial arts...?

I was refering to experince, teaching style, etc. and not the literal translation

* Understanding of the term.
* Respect for the cultural attachment.
* Humility
* Open Mindedness
* Respect for others
* Respect for self, but not to the point of egotism

For a more martial aspect,
* Depth of knowledge. By this, true knowledge, not just warm ups from 20 different arts (see 'soke')
* A respect for tradition, specifically a traditional Japanese art. If you study a different cultural system, or have "mixed n matched" your own system, use a different term, and not 'soke' as that one is even more blatantly raped.

To me, a "sensei" would be less a teacher and more of a respected roll model or peer. They would most probably be older than I, by some years, and will rarely if ever be younger than 50.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Sifu. Most of my students refer to me as "sifu" though I never do, some address me as "Mister" or simply "Sir" some use the term "Guro" depending on which art they are training. When asked how am I to be addressed my answer is by my name. If and when I have earned your respect you will probably address me in some other manner but it will come from you and not from me requiring it. Sifu means 'Father-teacher' and is not a title but a term of endearment.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sensei literally means "one who has gone before"

True in Japan Doctors, Lawyers, teachers of all types are referred to as sensei. It is not a title to be awarded it is a title of respect that must be earned.

Teaching Titles are
Shihan
Renshi = Polished Person like a masters degree
Kyoshi = Professor or Philosophy equivalent of a college professor
Hanshi = han meaning example or model, one to follow their example / lead

and in some cases some use Shihan after renshi also. But Shihan also refers to a person who is very proficent (master level) in their art no matter the art. It is not equivalent to Menkyo Kaiden though.

Those that call themselves Sensei tells me they do not truly understand the title.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor was my sensei and yes I called him that. He helped to guide me not only in the martial arts but also in some other parts of my life. I thought of him as a friend, instructor, and someone I could go to with questions beyond the martial area.
I have never allowed, nor will I my students to call me sensei. Fist off i teach a primarily Filipino system not a Japanese or okinawian one, secondly to me there will only be one sensei in the system I came up in at that was my instructor.
Now I have seen many new black belts put a label on their uniforms that says SENSEI and watched them strut around like they have accomplished something. To me this has always seemed wrong as they have not earned the right to be called SENSEI yet. After years of training students if the students call them sensei thats fine but I do not feel the title, name, recognition comes just by becoming a black belt

and don't even get me started on those that call themselves JR SENSEI

Do you think not allowing your students to call you sensei robs them of the opportunity to show you the same respect, honor, whatever you want to call it, that you got to show your teacher by calling him sensei? I wonder if we feel so inadequate at taking "titles" like this (I know I do) that we may take away that experience from those below us. If my instructor did not allow me to refer to him as "sahbonim" I would feel like I was restricted and not able to adequately show him the position I feel he has earned with me (just as how you feel about your sensei).

Do you think in the future you will have relationships with students that would make them WANT to call you sensei and at that time will you allow it?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think that anyone that thinks respect comes from a Japanese word is not likely someone I want to train with ;)

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would think that anyone that thinks respect comes from a Japanese word is not likely someone I want to train with ;)
I agree those who are truly sensei are not given the title, nor do they demand the title, nor do they refer to themselves as such. It is a "term" that is used to show respect to those who truly exhibit the qualities of a true sensei. My first Shorin Ryu instructor truly is a Sensei as is his sensei. There are 2 men I am training under now that are the same way. One of which always signs emails with only his first name except with business emails and that he uses Kyoshi but not sensei. These are men I highly respect. Seifuku Nitta, Hanshi / 10th Dan from Okinawa recently was visiting the USA. Nitta Sensei is direct student of such notables as Hohan Soken and Seiki Toma. He never referred to himself as other than Nitta Seifuku and prefered to be called Nitta Sensei and nothing more coming from a true okinawan 10th Dan that was impressive to me.