Commonly found martial arts that are not sports based

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to gather a list of different kinds of martial arts that can be found in The United States which are not based on sporting and competition, and more focused on self defense. So far all I know of is Krav-Maga and Eskrima. As far as I know, karate, taekwondo, and muay thai are all based on competition for the most part.

I want this list so I can research into whats available and what would best be suited for me.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Karate and TKD are not all for sport purposes andmany schools don't push sport at all. As for Muay Thai, it does have a pretty heavy sport influence, but there are those that do it without the sport and are not sport focused.

And there are competitions for Escrima, it is called WEKAF. Plus there are a great many of the KM guys who compete in MMA competitons.

This may not be what you were looking for, but I thought it was important to bring these things up.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well of course I have to note my art, lol, though there are many others to add to the list. We are not sport or competition focused at all. Strictly self defense. Southern Praying Mantis.

Also, what Searcher said. :)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also support what searcher said...

Aikido (aside from the Tomiki style) is not sport/competition based. Most Hapkido, ditto. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and it's various offshoots.

Peace,
Erik

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okinawan GoJu, not for sport. But I suppose if someone tried hard enough they could make a sport out of it. But, with all the low kicks, after a while, there would be very few left to compete. J

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am trying to gather a list of different kinds of martial arts that can be found in The United States which are not based on sporting and competition, and more focused on self defense. So far all I know of is Krav-Maga and Eskrima. As far as I know, karate, taekwondo, and muay thai are all based on competition for the most part.

I want this list so I can research into whats available and what would best be suited for me.
You are looking at this from the wrong direction. The sport/competition is based on martial arts, not the other way around. Find a school that focuses on SD. The art is less important.

Daniel

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the school. There is no standard answer for any style or art. Check out a few schools, check out a few instructors. then you'll know.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As an Ignorant White Person who teaches a "bland art" and has practiced those bland arts since you were still sucking on your mothers tit, I have to invite you to either get some sleep and dream your little dreams of the ultimate contact martial art before you go to Math class in the morning or get off the computer and go gain some experience.

Having claimed to be a former Golden Gloves boxer, I can't imagine how in such a short time you've let yourself go to the point that you can't get off the couch, so I am led to believe that the only thing stopping you is...uhm...you.

I don't wish to be rude, but the tone of your posts almost exclusively sound like trolling. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, go pick a class and try it out. Good luck.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

<begin soapbox...>

What you need to do first is go to a local school, start taking lessons & grow a little bit in maturity within the MA world. You know jackshit right now except for aggrevating people with your comments & perceived attitude.<soapbox interuptus...>

<soapbox continuation...>
What's best suited for you is what's available for you to begin the trip down the road. After you've gone a couple of years down the road & you've spent time listening & learning, not spouting off at the mouth, then you'll be in a better position to see exactly what is suited best for you.</end soapbox...>

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as an ignorant white person who teaches a "bland art" and has practiced those bland arts since you were still sucking on your mothers tit, i have to invite you to either get some sleep and dream your little dreams of the ultimate contact martial art before you go to math class in the morning or get off the computer and go gain some experience.

Having claimed to be a former golden gloves boxer, i can't imagine how in such a short time you've let yourself go to the point that you can't get off the couch, so i am led to believe that the only thing stopping you is...uhm...you.

I don't wish to be rude, but the tone of your posts almost exclusively sound like trolling. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, go pick a class and try it out. Good luck.

qft!

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that all MA's are for self defense that eventually evolved to using them in sport, but they're still self defense. As far as TKD being sport based, did anyone tell that to the ROK guys!

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be rude man, but I seriously would do a little research before posting questions liek you have been. You come off as very ignorant. Is someone telling you this information that you half put into your posts ? It really sounds like you have some really distorted preconceptions of things. Try google first next time :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Commonly found martial arts that are not sports based...... list making you are.... checking twice are you :yoda:

hmmm....let me think...... there are a lot of MA styles out there.... pick one

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that all MA's are for self defense that eventually evolved to using them in sport, but they're still self defense. As far as TKD being sport based, did anyone tell that to the ROK guys!
Oh, come on! We all know that sport karate was such a huge thing in the late forties that the Korean military just had to jump in and create a new sport based martial art. They just had the army practice it in combat so that they'd be better when they competed during peacetime.:p

Daniel

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sport started as a way for MAists to test themselves against other MAists with some type of control and structure. It was about seeing if you could do to an unwilling person what you had been training to do against the BGs. Before the tourney, it was more of a "back-alley street brawl" that often hadpeople getting screwed up or worse. Not to mention, that it let you see what would and would not work.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sport started as a way for MAists to test themselves against other MAists with some type of control and structure. It was about seeing if you could do to an unwilling person what you had been training to do against the BGs. Before the tourney, it was more of a "back-alley street brawl" that often hadpeople getting screwed up or worse. Not to mention, that it let you see what would and would not work.

I know in the art of Kajukenbo, it was "street" tested first. I still see a lot of Kaju guys at tourneys and it doesn't mean it's a sport.

And what Searcher said.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, come on! We all know that sport karate was such a huge thing in the late forties that the Korean military just had to jump in and create a new sport based martial art. They just had the army practice it in combat so that they'd be better when they competed during peacetime.:p

Daniel

Touche, Daniel.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know in the art of Kajukenbo, it was "street" tested first. I still see a lot of Kaju guys at tourneys and it doesn't mean it's a sport.

I remember the days of bloody tourneys. It was not a big deal back then. If people whined about someone drawing blood they got ran out. The good ole days of full-force kicks(groin included), minimal protection(most was optional), and crazy, grimey bastards that would beat you down rather than look at you. I miss the old days.:vu: