What drink do you take to training?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its obvious that you have no idea what you're talkin about.
During vigorous exercise (which martial art ppl do) people lose critical minerals through their sweat, the most important being magnesium. Research suggests that even small shortfalls in magnesium intake can seriously impair athletic performance. As the concentration of hydrogen ions and acidity increases in the muscle cells optimal functioning of enzymes will be disturbed and energy production will decrease. Just 25min of exercisin is enuff to create free radical damage, lactic acid build up and magnesium lost durin sweatin. The human body goes from an alkaline state to an acid state. The replenishment of electrolytes is necessary after a workout. But at your school I guess yall dont train that hard.
Your post makes a good deal of sense, thank you. Though I think there is aggression in how you convey your point?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
During vigorous exercise (which martial art ppl do) people lose critical minerals through their sweat, the most important being magnesium. Research suggests that even small shortfalls in magnesium intake can seriously impair athletic performance. As the concentration of hydrogen ions and acidity increases in the muscle cells optimal functioning of enzymes will be disturbed and energy production will decrease. Just 25min of exercisin is enuff to create free radical damage, lactic acid build up and magnesium lost durin sweatin. The human body goes from an alkaline state to an acid state. The replenishment of electrolytes is necessary after a workout. But at your school I guess yall dont train that hard.

I'll ignore the vitriol and insults and just respond to the claims...

http://www.academicjournals.org/ajpp/pdf/pdf2011/jan/Koç.pdf

Results:
Although increasing or decreasing differences were observed in BC and AC blood electrolyte levels of participating subjects, variables were found to be within regular limits, which makes us consider that acute competition-condition exercises do not have any effect on blood electrolyte levels. In order to further describe the correlation between blood electrolyte level and exercise,such studies should be repeated on more subjects, which​
will also provide more realistic interpretations.

Yes, exercise leads to sweat, and sweat contains electrolytes. No, you're not, during the average training class, going to significantly alter your electrolyte levels.
Showing me a study that Gatordade (tm) paid for that says you ought to drink electrolye fluids is really not going to be convincing.

Incidentially, do you know how we treat lactic acidosis (which is quite common in septic and trauma patients)? Water. Couple liters of saline to hydrate them and it resolves. Saline, as I'm sure you know, is just about as inert as it is possible for a substance infused into the human body can be.

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,

Lets keep things civil please. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Its possible to disagree with someone and not be rude about it. If someone disagrees with what someone else has said, provide some proof, but again, lets keep the shots out of it please.

Thanks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you support that with medical studies or research? I've looked into this many times, and received the same advice from doctors and coaches that Dirty Dog gave: Most people don't need anything stronger than water during or immediately after workouts, as a general rule. You get enough vitamins, minerals, etc. through a decent diet to make up the loss. If your workouts are very long, or very tough -- yeah, you may need something more.

Here are a couple of quick articles I found:
Drinking water during exercise
Sports drinks: vital for hydration or a waste of money?
What to drink for proper hydration during exercise

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I think some people are just overstating the fact that after a workout, You feel tired and worn out. Because, Youre tired and worn out. Not because Chemicals X and Y have been lost somehow, and need to be replenished or else.

Its similar to overphilosophying. Overthinking the outcome of exercise as being anything more than the result of exercise and exertion, is needless.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends really, but for me it's generally water during workouts and either chocolate milk or a protein shake after. Full training day I use half and half Gatorade and water, 2 hour sessions aren't really enough to need the sports drinks, regardless of what a Gatorade study says :rolleyes:.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I've had a long day and feel like I'm dragging a bit after work I'll have a cup of coffee before I go train.

Water only during class.

After class, if I feel like I worked hard and could use a recovery drink I'll have milk and whey protein powder.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll ignore the vitriol and insults and just respond to the claims...

http://www.academicjournals.org/ajpp/pdf/pdf2011/jan/Koç.pdf

Results:
Although increasing or decreasing differences were observed in BC and AC blood electrolyte levels of participating subjects, variables were found to be within regular limits, which makes us consider that acute competition-condition exercises do not have any effect on blood electrolyte levels. In order to further describe the correlation between blood electrolyte level and exercise,such studies should be repeated on more subjects, which​
will also provide more realistic interpretations.

Yes, exercise leads to sweat, and sweat contains electrolytes. No, you're not, during the average training class, going to significantly alter your electrolyte levels.
Showing me a study that Gatordade (tm) paid for that says you ought to drink electrolye fluids is really not going to be convincing.

Incidentially, do you know how we treat lactic acidosis (which is quite common in septic and trauma patients)? Water. Couple liters of saline to hydrate them and it resolves. Saline, as I'm sure you know, is just about as inert as it is possible for a substance infused into the human body can be.

Handball......seriously?
Like I said IDK how yall train but for us handball doesnt compare or come close to our training. And most ppl I know train for two classes a day when they can and classes are 90min for us, so IDK what yall doin but handball would just be a warm up for us. Our pre warm up is a min of 500 jumping jacks, max 1000-1200, then you gonna do about 100 squats, 100 situps & push ups and still gotta do the kicks. We usually go thru about 300 kicks, doin 20 kicks each leg;cha olligi, ahp chagi, yup chagi. dolrya chagi, dwi chagi, gullgi chagi, nehryuh jeek gi and this is not including techniques & drillin exercises, this is just throwin kicks. And then you gotta do forms & SPAR! Times that by 2 if you gonna take two classes which would be 3hrs. So comparing handball to MA training, again IDK what yall do but for us, doesnt equal. On top of that GM Cheeks didnt give brakes. The only time we took a brake was right before the next class started. And in the summer time....no A/C! So you cant say just drinkin water is gonna replinish your body after a hard workout. Bottle water? With the BPA's? Come on now.

Dennis SC; Noakes TD; Hawley JA MRC/UCT Bioenergetics of Exercise Research Unit, University of Cape Town Medical School, Sports Science, Institute of South Africa, Newlands, South Africa.
J Sports Sci (England) Jun 1997, 15 (3) p305-13
While the presence of palatable (20 mmol l-1) concentrations of NaCl in drinks containing carbohydrate consumed during intense exercise would not be expected to promote absorption or significantly help maintain fluid balance, there is no doubt that athletes should ingest some from of carbohydrate (other than fructose) during moderate-intensity exercise lasting > 90 min. As only approximately 20 g of ingested carbohydrate is oxidized in the first hour of exercise, athletes should probably consume 100 ml every 10 min of a dilute (3-5 g 100 ml-1) carbohydrate solution and thereafter increase the carbohydrate concentration to approximately 10 g 100 ml-1 to match the peak (approximately 1 g min-1) rates of plasma glucose oxidation. Drinking more than those amounts of carbohydrate may increase muscle glycogen oxidation by attenuating the fall in plasma insulin concentration and thereby delaying fat mobilization, especially at relatively low (55% of peak oxygen consumption) intensity exercise. As carbohydrate ingestion does not slow the rate of glycogen utilization in working muscle, it is also advisable for endurance athletes to start exercise with an adequate supply of muscle glycogen, irrespective of whether or not they ingest carbohydrate during exercise. While carbohydrate ingestion 'spares' conversion of liver glycogen to plasma glucose and prevents hypoglycemia, it does not delay the fatigue associated with a low (approximately 20 mmol kg-1) glycogen content in working muscle. Conversely, increases in glycogen content of working muscle at the start of exercise have no effect on the rates of plasma glucose oxidation. Higher initial rates of glycogen utilization by active muscles in 'carbohydrate-loaded' subjects decrease the indirect oxidation (via lactate) of non-working muscle glycogen, rather than the conversion of liver glycogen to plasma glucose. Hence, athletes should ingest carbohydrate during endurance exercise even if they have 'carbohydrate-loaded' before exercise.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (2006) 5, 1 - 9[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ABSTRACT[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Competitive tennis is typically played in warm and hot environments. Because hypohydration will impair tennis performance and increases the risk of heat injury, consumption of appropriate fluid levels is necessary to prevent dehydration and enhance performance. The majority of research in this area has focused on continuous aerobic activity - unlike tennis, which has average points lasting less than ten seconds with rest periods dispersed between each work period. For this reason, hydration and temperature regulation methods need to be specific to the activity. Tennis players can sweat more than 2.5 L·h[SUP]-1[/SUP] and replace fluids at a slower rate during matches than in practice. Latter stages of matches and tournaments are when tennis players are more susceptible to temperature and hydration related problems. Sodium (Na[SUP]+[/SUP]) depletion, not potassium (K[SUP]+[/SUP]), is a key electrolyte in tennis related muscle cramps. However, psychological and competitive factors also contribute. CHO drinks have been shown to promote fluid absorption to a greater degree than water alone, but no performance benefits have been shown in tennis players in short matches. It is advisable to consume a CHO beverage if practice or matches are scheduled longer than 90-120 minutes.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KEY WORDS: Dehydration, heat stress, body temperature, electrolytes.[/FONT]

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KH I will bet money you do not need Gatorade during class and it's a placebo effect. Anything less than 3 hours or so and Gatorade is expensive pink water, as it is for most of us.

Most of the competitive athletes I know drink water during training and I promise you they train a lot harder than anybody else.

Theres also "train smarter not harder" but I won't get into that. AC doesn't actually make a difference for exertion either except for comfort, I don't think it helps hydration much at all. It also reduces air quality IMO.

Gatorade is great for fighting fatigue at a seminar all day though. Even a tournament I wouldn't bother with it

Last edited:

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i always drink a lot of water when taking class or even for a daily workout. if im feeling tired I'll usually buy a sugar free red bull to rev me up.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KH I will bet money you do not need Gatorade during class and it's a placebo effect. Anything less than 3 hours or so and Gatorade is expensive pink water, as it is for most of us.

Most of the competitive athletes I know drink water during training and I promise you they train a lot harder than anybody else.

Theres also "train smarter not harder" but I won't get into that. AC doesn't actually make a difference for exertion either except for comfort, I don't think it helps hydration much at all. It also reduces air quality IMO.

Gatorade is great for fighting fatigue at a seminar all day though. Even a tournament I wouldn't bother with it

I would never drink gartorade.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Nothing special.

I work nights. So it's not uncommon for me to come home, sleep 2-3 hours and then get up to head to the dojang. I'll drink a Diet Mt Dew for a little caffeine. But that's it. Other than that, it's water. :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
gatorade just makes me nauseous...

do any of you guys take protein after class? or a preworkout drink like musclepharm assault?

After a hard session I will take a protein shake. Pre workout only if I'm tired.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally, don't bring any drinks along... but then I'm a ninja in training so I usually just distract one of my friends with flash of motion and pretty colours while I steal her water if I'm really needing a drink ;)

Burnse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I drink this magical substance called water. At least I try to but SOMEONE keeps stealing my drink.
But before class I like a coffee for a number of reasons, the most important being that I like milk.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I drink this magical substance called water. At least I try to but SOMEONE keeps stealing my drink.
But before class I like a coffee for a number of reasons, the most important being that I like milk.

Huh? If you like milk -- why drink coffee? Of course, I don't take anything in my coffee, so I suppose it's possible you're one of those folks who have a little coffee with their cream & sugar...

Burnse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Huh? If you like milk -- why drink coffee? Of course, I don't take anything in my coffee, so I suppose it's possible you're one of those folks who have a little coffee with their cream & sugar...

Got it in one!

The second most important reason is that coffee wakes me up, but I reckon I got my priorities straight. :D

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I get home late I fix a protein shake. I do the vegan protein.
In the morning I do a energy drink.

Vegan protein, eh? Never heard of it. I'm a fan of whey. IF you're looking for a solid preworkout energy source check out musclepharm assault. 1st time I tried it, I noticed an improvement and much more energy!

Latest Discussions