Water is your friend.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I rarely - if ever - cramp in a hard workout. It's more likely to happen during kneeling for a bow, moving into a Yoga pose, or something like that. I'm not good at staying hydrated - somewhere along the line, I lost my "thirst" cues. So, it's possible my cramping is from dehydration. I also wonder if they're due to some deficiency (why I hope, but don't trust, the electrolytes might help).
Quite likely. Potassium and Magnesium a vitally important to prevent cramping. Part of why bananas and leafy greens are good pre-workout. I take a potassium supplement 2-3 times a week.
My wife has us "both" on a keto diet so anything with high carbs is off the list. But the list is confusing because things like bananas and carrots are discouraged. I keep telling her to give it a year and everything keto will kill you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I rarely - if ever - cramp in a hard workout. It's more likely to happen during kneeling for a bow, moving into a Yoga pose, or something like that. I'm not good at staying hydrated - somewhere along the line, I lost my "thirst" cues. So, it's possible my cramping is from dehydration. I also wonder if they're due to some deficiency (why I hope, but don't trust, the electrolytes might help).
I don’t think I’ve ever cramped up during a workout. That includes wrestling practice where I was wearing multiple layers and hadn’t drank nor ate anything all day in order to cut weight.

The only time I’ve cramped up is a few hours or so after a workout. Most of those times were laying in bed, move the wrong way, and my hamstrings spasmed up.

But yeah, I get some cramping, not severe by any means, doing little things. Most often when I’m “cold.” Foot cramp kneeling in seiza to start class is common. On the couch, turn and bend the wrong way will give me some cramping in my ribs every once in a while, stuff like that.

When I was at Fordham, our star basketball player started cramping during 2 games in a row. Fans online were bashing me a bit, saying how can I not know how to prevent them, stuff like that. My colleagues and I got a kick out of the comments. One fan had the only intelligent comment - (paraphrasing) “they’ve had 4 games in 5 days, and he played the entire 40 minutes in every one of them. It’s not as simple as drinking Gatorade or eating a banana before the game.”

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever cramped up during a workout. That includes wrestling practice where I was wearing multiple layers and hadn’t drank nor ate anything all day in order to cut weight.

The only time I’ve cramped up is a few hours or so after a workout. Most of those times were laying in bed, move the wrong way, and my hamstrings spasmed up.

But yeah, I get some cramping, not severe by any means, doing little things. Most often when I’m “cold.” Foot cramp kneeling in seiza to start class is common. On the couch, turn and bend the wrong way will give me some cramping in my ribs every once in a while, stuff like that.

When I was at Fordham, our star basketball player started cramping during 2 games in a row. Fans online were bashing me a bit, saying how can I not know how to prevent them, stuff like that. My colleagues and I got a kick out of the comments. One fan had the only intelligent comment - (paraphrasing) “they’ve had 4 games in 5 days, and he played the entire 40 minutes in every one of them. It’s not as simple as drinking Gatorade or eating a banana before the game.”
Yeah, what I find confusing and frustrating is that I don't cramp (usually) during exercise. It's far more likely while bowing the class in - cold muscles, no exertion yet, at all. Same with Yoga - most likely relatively early in the class. Often, it's when the muscle in question isn't really involved. So, when in seiza (Japanese seated kneel, in case you guys use a different word), just as I'm getting into the position, a foot may cramp. Hard to maintain decorum when the instructor suddenly mutters "ow, damnit!" under his breath and drops sideways to rub his foot before bowing in.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, somehow it didn't post last time. This ad:

\
upload_2018-10-26_15-44-34.png

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Off topic question: when I have a hangover, I tend to drink gatorade (along with an egg sandwich on a bagel), and I find that the gatorade helps. Is it actually doing anything, or is that just placebo?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Off topic question: when I have a hangover, I tend to drink gatorade (along with an egg sandwich on a bagel), and I find that the gatorade helps. Is it actually doing anything, or is that just placebo?
The only thing that ever worked for me when I was hung over - do a shot. I used to do Southern Comfort or Stoli, whichever I had on-hand. It was tough going down, but somehow I always kept it down. I did the shot over the garbage every time though, just in case.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing that ever worked for me when I was hung over - do a shot. I used to do Southern Comfort or Stoli, whichever I had on-hand. It was tough going down, but somehow I always kept it down. I did the shot over the garbage every time though, just in case.
That's the only thing I refuse to do. I've seen so many people start with 'do a shot to avoid hangover', leading to 'keep drinking to avoid hangover' lead to 'keep drinking to avoid withdrawal' and then they end up talking to me 3-5 years later after getting pancreatitis, or liver issues, or arrested.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Oh man, I remember trying to make weight. I wrestled 152 and 160. I would bulk up as much as I could for football then we the season ended we were already in wrestling season. We had another guy who was really good at 160 but had a hard time making weight so my coach would encourage me to drop down to 152. I just couldn't do it my senior year and ended up wrestling up in the 160 or 170 class.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh man, I remember trying to make weight. I wrestled 152 and 160. I would bulk up as much as I could for football then we the season ended we were already in wrestling season. We had another guy who was really good at 160 but had a hard time making weight so my coach would encourage me to drop down to 152. I just couldn't do it my senior year and ended up wrestling up in the 160 or 170 class.
Same here, but different weight classes. I played defensive line, and going from almost 190 to 177 wasn’t fun at the start of the season. My senior year was the first year NYS had weight certification. You got certified about 2 weeks into preseason, which meant I just ended football about 2 days beforehand. I made 167. Good thing they didn’t check hydration levels back then like they do now :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, but different weight classes. I played defensive line, and going from almost 190 to 177 wasn’t fun at the start of the season. My senior year was the first year NYS had weight certification. You got certified about 2 weeks into preseason, which meant I just ended football about 2 days beforehand. I made 167. Good thing they didn’t check hydration levels back then like they do now :)
I remember a movie (Vision Quest, maybe?) back in the 80's that really inspired my best friend, who was a wrestler. So much of that movie was about cutting weight by dehydration.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
But yeah, I get some cramping, not severe by any means, doing little things. Most often when I’m “cold.” Foot cramp kneeling in seiza to start class is common.

Yeah, what I find confusing and frustrating is that I don't cramp (usually) during exercise. It's far more likely while bowing the class in - cold muscles, no exertion yet, at all. Same with Yoga - most likely relatively early in the class. Often, it's when the muscle in question isn't really involved. So, when in seiza (Japanese seated kneel, in case you guys use a different word), just as I'm getting into the position, a foot may cramp. Hard to maintain decorum when the instructor suddenly mutters "ow, damnit!" under his breath and drops sideways to rub his foot before bowing in.

Ahhhh yep...... dem seiza cramps..... [emoji109]

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wow really... unreal. It's funny/ridiculous how much is put on the coaches, just the idea that they're responsible for absolutely everything and every biological/physiological function within every player too... golly gosh.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember a movie (Vision Quest, maybe?) back in the 80's that really inspired my best friend, who was a wrestler. So much of that movie was about cutting weight by dehydration.
Vision Quest is the Karate Kid of wrestling. Matt Modine was the main character.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahhhh yep...... dem seiza cramps..... [emoji109]
They’re no joke, man. I think the worst part of them is you can’t complain about them. Complaining about them makes you look and feel like the softest guy ever.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the one. Rob loved that movie. I wasn't a wrestler, but even I thought it was pretty cool.
Every team came out for warmups to Vision Quest’s main song - Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider. That’s how popular that movie was. I hear the song every now and then, and the intro where the guitar starts still gives me goosebumps. More than a few wrestling teams still use it as their warmup song. Like Eye of the Tiger to boxing, only more popular :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
They’re no joke, man. I think the worst part of them is you can’t complain about them. Complaining about them makes you look and feel like the softest guy ever.
Yep haha, have had enough of them, feel it coming on and the leg shoots straight out to the side [emoji1787]

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also do the same thing. I also dring after finishing my training. I totally focus on my training and after fishing that I do all other kinds of stuff.

Latest Discussions