Reducing my sugar intake.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer sleep myself ;)
I envy people who can sleep on a plane. I'm a light sleeper, and I don't like crowds in any case, so it's not going to happen for me.

The only time I ever actually slept on a plane, I went straight from the airport to our ED. I had dengue fever (zero stars - would not recommend). After the ED did what they could, I was admitted with a fever of 105F, a heart rate of 140 and a BP of 80/40.

But hey, at least now I know what it takes for me to sleep on a plane, right?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I envy people who can sleep on a plane. I'm a light sleeper, and I don't like crowds in any case, so it's not going to happen for me.

The only time I ever actually slept on a plane, I went straight from the airport to our ED. I had dengue fever (zero stars - would not recommend). After the ED did what they could, I was admitted with a fever of 105F, a heart rate of 140 and a BP of 80/40.

But hey, at least now I know what it takes for me to sleep on a plane, right?
That sounds like a horrible trip. Were you passing out?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coffee is zero sugar, zero carbs, and zero calories. The perfect beverage.
I love my coffee in the morning. I make what is termed "the magic bullet"... Coffee, pad of butter, tablespoon of MCT oil. Put in blender and enjoy....:)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tip from our nephew, the vascular surgeon, who regularly amputates toes from diabetic patients: to lower your blood sugar levels and give your pancreas a break, build up the large muscles in your body. That's the legs, glutes, and back.

Why? Because they metabolize sugar.
It worked for me, but I need to keep it up.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water or genmaicha🤤

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like a horrible trip. Were you passing out?
The trip we'd taken was actually lovely. We had spent a week diving around Cozumel, and I had gotten in a couple days of cave diving on the mainland.

But I goofed. There generally isn't a mosquito problem at the resorts. Because there's pretty much always a breeze on the beach. But we had dinner with a local friend in the city and spent the evening in an enclosed courtyard. With mosquitos...

Dengue fever is also called "break bone fever" for good reason. Your entire body feels like someone just finished beating you with a bat.

I don't really think I was passing out, although the tachycardia and hypotension certainly makes that a concern.

I would have been infected fairly early in the trip, since Dengue Fever (and other flavivirus infections, like West Nile, etc) has a 5-7 day incubation period. Which matches our courtyard dinner, the day after we arrived. I make it a point to do any technical diving (like caves, or dives deeper than 130 feet) early in a trip, because the no-fly time is longer. Onset of symptoms for this class of virus is really quick, once it starts.

I was fine when we boarded on Cozumel. I was feeling a little blech during our layover at DFW. I slept from DFW to DIA and was utterly miserable by the time we landed.

Moral of the story. Wear your DEET!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I quit drinking even diet soda years ago already. I have been drinking plane water since. You get used to it. Just think how much goodies you can eat if you just quit sugar drinks.

Even when you are flying, you can ask for bottle water.

Think of it this way, if you drink water, you make up the calories from alcohol drinks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I quit drinking even diet soda years ago already. I have been drinking plane water since. You get used to it.
So this "plane water" you're talking about. Is that what you get from melting the "blue ice" that reportedly falls from planes?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So this "plane water" you're talking about. Is that what you get from melting the "blue ice" that reportedly falls from planes?
nah, you are making this up. They serve bottle water unopened. If you worry so much, what make you think they don't use blue ice in the soda also?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
nah, you are making this up. They serve bottle water unopened. If you worry so much, what make you think they don't use blue ice in the soda also?
You don't understand the difference between plane water and plain water, do you? 🤣

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I gave up all sugar drinks years ago, and I am all the better for it too
Me too. Sugar free drinks and sweeteners in teas and coffee. Got my blood sugar down from 420 to 100 in a few weeks. If I willingly eat anything risky I am sure to exercise more.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Me too. Sugar free drinks and sweeteners in teas and coffee. Got my blood sugar down from 420 to 100 in a few weeks. If I willingly eat anything risky I am sure to exercise more.
I don't use any sweetener. Only water, tea, coffee, almond milk, soy milk and milk

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm in to my first week off watered down sugary drink. One of the things I'm starting to notice is that I'm not finishing the glass so I'm hoping I can start off with less sugary drink at the beginning. This is happening naturally, and I'm happy about that. I'm not getting the cravings like I used to. I want to say that I dropped 3 pounds since I've started this. I'm consistently under 210 lbs. I hover around 207. I haven't worked out much since I hurt my arm. I'm hoping to at least get back to my cardio this week.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm in to my first week off watered down sugary drink. One of the things I'm starting to notice is that I'm not finishing the glass so I'm hoping I can start off with less sugary drink at the beginning. This is happening naturally, and I'm happy about that. I'm not getting the cravings like I used to. I want to say that I dropped 3 pounds since I've started this. I'm consistently under 210 lbs. I hover around 207. I haven't worked out much since I hurt my arm. I'm hoping to at least get back to my cardio this week.
I just cut meals. Lived on home made soups. The sugar gets stored in the cholesterol in your body so no significant change until you lose weight. Why not change to sweeteners? Bit of a weird taste but you get used to it. My partner even uses them to make food if sugar is required in the recipe. I like to think of the problem I had as a hyperglycemic episode not diabetes. We mainly don't use sugar anymore as we simply don't need it. Biggest thing is to go shopping and check the labels. We found one hot chocolate drink with "60 sugar". In the Philippines now and they love to dose up stuff with sugar. Even spaghetti sauce is sickly sweet.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't use any sweetener. Only water, tea, coffee, almond milk, soy milk and milk
The only milk we found with no additives was 1 to 3 years old baby milk powder. Funnily enough it tastes better than the watery fresh milk they sell in bottles.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not change to sweeteners? Bit of a weird taste but you get used to it.
Sweeteners give me headaches and I end up feeling like crap for the rest of the day.