Important topic this time of the year.

S

Satelite

Hey guys. I trained with two different instructors. One always told us to drink water. He is more modern. The other humiliated me for drinking. He is more traditional. Now it's hot and our work outs are 90 minutes a day. Please check out the links below and decide for you self.

http://www.elasticsteel.com/prv1new2

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/rejuvenation_essentials/article/0,1663,FINE_1422_1500436,00.html

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/getfit/strengtone/articles/0,9544,255_157342,00.html

All these people seem to be experts.

Let me know what you think.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drink water, "traditional" is not the word I would use to describe someone who humiliates a student for taking care of there body. "Abusive" maybe, but not "traditional".

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Drink water, "traditional" is not the word I would use to describe someone who humiliates a student for taking care of there body. "Abusive" maybe, but not "traditional".
Agreed. There is no valid reason to restrict someone's access to water. The only argument I can think of is that too much water may cause the student gastric discomfort and hinder their feeling for training for a bit, but, provided everyone is aware of the potential for that, they will portion their refreshments accordingly or live with the discomfort.

If someone tried to tell me that I couldn't have a drink of water, they'd be the one humiliated.

OP
G

goshawk

Satelite said:
Hey guys. I trained with two different instructors. One always told us to drink water. He is more modern. The other humiliated me for drinking. He is more traditional...Let me know what you think.
Drink water. Trust me, I've been through mild heatstroke and it is NOT a fun experience; it's also highly dangerous. 98% of North Americans are chronically dehydrated already (I can't remember where I found that stat, I'll try to look it up), so cutting back during strenuous exercise is a serious no-no. Honestly, your instructor may have the best intentions in the world, but that's just dangerous. Take care of your body.

As to what I think of an instructor humiliating students, for any reason, let alone taking care of themselves...No bloody way. There's no call for that. That's abuse of personal power. Keep in mind, though--he can only humiliate you if you allow yourself to be humiliated. And drinking water? Is a silly reason to be embarrassed. :)

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Absolutely, drink water. And for prolonged training, make sure you replace electrolytes and sugar.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drink water. Room temperature is better than cold. Small amounts at a time. Don't gulp. goshawk mentioned being dehydrated. Danger aside, I will second what a truly miserable experience that is.

Regards,

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great articles and good reading, worth making copies to show your teachers.

In our martial art school , we do take a couple of water breaks. At anytime you need to go drink just raise you hand and ask, everyone can go anytime.

To not let anyone go to drink water comes from OLD school thinking and that person needs to get NEW information about drinking water. Make copies and share with your Sensi's.........................Aloha

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heatstroke indeed! Drink water. At the JKD/BJJ class I train in, many people bring their own water bottles for use during class.

Drinking water is a definite good idea. Anything can be overdone, but you don't want to udnerdo this one.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drink water.

That instructor is misinformed.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I consider myself a traditionalist, but I would never tell a student to not drink water, that is carzy. I am also a trainer and I try to get people to drink a half to a whole gallon while training, this includes in the MA's. The "traditional" guy is a nut.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wrestlers cutting weight comes to mind ... and the cases heatstroke I've witnessed and the case of heat exhaustion I've experienced.

Drink Water and supplement electrolytes.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a one hour long class, I always tell the students to drink water at least 30 minutes before coming to class, and to take a couple of gulps before the class starts. The rest of the water can be drank after class is over.

If someone really needs a drink during class (coughing, looks weary), I'll allow them to take a quick break, but in general, I try to conduct the class in a continuous manner.

If the class is an extended one, say, 90 minutes, as opposed to 1 hour, then I'll break it into halves, and give everyone a mandatory water break after 45 minutes.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Satelite said:
Hey guys. I trained with two different instructors. One always told us to drink water. He is more modern. The other humiliated me for drinking. He is more traditional. Now it's hot and our work outs are 90 minutes a day. Please check out the links below and decide for you self.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/rejuvenation_essentials/article/0,1663,FINE_1422_1500436,00.html

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/getfit/strengtone/articles/0,9544,255_157342,00.html

All these people seem to be experts.

Let me know what you think.

Your health and well being should be the priority! If its hot, drink. Be carefull though..drinking too much and then going back to the class and continuing a hard workout could make you sick.

Mike

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have heard the same thing about not getting water breaks at some dojos thinking that this is a traditional way of training. While training in Okinawa last summer we were given a 10-15 minute water break around the 1/2 way point in our classes which were 2 hrs long. I also encourage our students to take a 5-10 minute break during our training to grab a drink. Just like some of the old medicine tales that you hear about I do not think some of the old instructors understood dehydration and how bad it is.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Drink Water

During class there are a couple of times (we go about 2 hours a class) that we break for water. In between there is always oppurtunity to grab a gulp.

I've got heat stroke twice, the first was from working out in the full august sun, and it sucked.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've encountered instructors who insist on not drinking, or allowing people to drink during the class. To a man I've found them to be obsessive egotistical people with image problems.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, when your body needs a drink, let it have one! We train for 2 hours at a time and i cant imagine sweating hard for 2 hours without a drink, we get one whenever we need one. I just don't go when a technique is being demonstrated or when the instructor is talking.

Don't let your instructor humiliate you about having a drink, he sounds like a bit of a tosser to be fair doing that

OP
F

first123class

Every one is not the same.

You may need water and he may not.

Or he just got used to being dehydrated.

Cool articles!

OP
M

Martialscientist

Yep, it's too bad that more senseis don't read modern view on karate training.