What drink do you take to training?

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What's the best drink to take to training; water, Lucozade? Why?

Coconut Water!!!!

In most cases, the best way to restore your body's fluids and electrolytes after exercise is simply with water and food, particularly fruit. In cases of severe exertion or illness, however, a quick electrolyte boost may be necessary. For those reluctant to consume sports drinks with all their added colors, flavors, sweeteners and preservatives, nature has provided the perfect rehydrating drink: coconut water.

Coconut water is found inside the cavity of a young, unripe coconut (in contrast with coconut milk, found inside the mature fruit). The balance of electrolytes in coconut water is nearly the same as that in the human blood -- so close, in fact, that coconut water is the only natural non-blood substance that can be safely injected into the human bloodstream. Ancient peoples knew this, and sometimes used it as an emergency intravenous fluid.

Most of the time there's no need to go to such lengths: just drink it, and you'll be rewarded with 15 times as much potassium as a typical sports drink, along with potent antioxidants. And unlike sugary sports drinks or coconut milk, coconut water is low in calories and fat free.

OP
Grasshopper22

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Coconut Water!!!!

In most cases, the best way to restore your body's fluids and electrolytes after exercise is simply with water and food, particularly fruit. In cases of severe exertion or illness, however, a quick electrolyte boost may be necessary. For those reluctant to consume sports drinks with all their added colors, flavors, sweeteners and preservatives, nature has provided the perfect rehydrating drink: coconut water.

Coconut water is found inside the cavity of a young, unripe coconut (in contrast with coconut milk, found inside the mature fruit). The balance of electrolytes in coconut water is nearly the same as that in the human blood -- so close, in fact, that coconut water is the only natural non-blood substance that can be safely injected into the human bloodstream. Ancient peoples knew this, and sometimes used it as an emergency intravenous fluid.

Most of the time there's no need to go to such lengths: just drink it, and you'll be rewarded with 15 times as much potassium as a typical sports drink, along with potent antioxidants. And unlike sugary sports drinks or coconut milk, coconut water is low in calories and fat free.

Ah interesting, I live in the UK and you can't buy coconut water from the shops over here. Shame really, it sounds great!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Water.

But Im a terrible person to ask, because all I drink is Water, Tea, and Lemonade.

Tai-chi-kit-cat

White Belt
Reaction score
I second the coconut water! I drink that and im ready to go even after an hour, but if you can get a hold of coconut water you could try..tomato juice? It works just as good to replenish your body. I know farmers use it after working in the fields all day and im sure you can imagine how hard of work that is. Also after a night of a really hard workout I blend coconut water or coconut milk(canned) with fruits or sweet potato in a smoothie :D

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How long are you training for? If it's only an hour you won't find any more benefit from drinking anything but water. Unless you are already fatigued from previous exertion.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Water, unless I'm in need of electrolyte replenishment (serious workout). That's when I add a splash of juice.

Why? Because that's what the science currently tells us is best - water.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll 3rd Coconut Water. The only catch is, you have to watch out for the diluted ones that add sugar, which is most of them unfortunately. Read the ingredients, or try to get it straight from a young coconut. Some of the stores near me have started doing that, usually with heavy Hispanic or Asian customer bases.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah interesting, I live in the UK and you can't buy coconut water from the shops over here. Shame really, it sounds great!

You can get coconut water in Holland and Barrett, the health food shop in the UK. They do it in cartons and bottles.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can get coconut water in Holland and Barrett, the health food shop in the UK. They do it in cartons and bottles.

yup. my mum orders loads of this stuff. kinda sick of her telling me to drink it :p

as to the question. just water, its all i need. i drink plenty of water all the time so am always well hydrated

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pomegranite juice, coconut rum & ice... why fool around.

It's tasty, healthy & pain relieving all in the same glass!

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For a normal class, I just take water. If I know it will be a long class, I'll take water and a sugar free sport drink. Usually Powerade zero (cheaper and more convenient) or Nuun.

Post workout I drink a small glass of low fat or fat free chocolate milk, and then water, tea, or juice, depending on how I feel.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I also like coconut water. But plain old water is fine, too. I try to drink lots of water during the day so that I don't get dehydrated at class.

I prefer beer after class. Just saying.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Water...room temperature. I used to drink Gatorade until I found out too much of it is similar to running your car on pure antifreeze. After that unpleasant experience I learned that properly hydrating before class gets the best results.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

They sell it at Sam's Club here. I personally don't like the taste of it, but I do hear good things about it.

Latest Discussions