What clothes do you train in

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the days. Some days require formal uniform (ie: dobok). Other days can be pants & t-shirts.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai Shorts, Sleeveless Shirt, Along with Hand Wraps, Gloves and Shin Guards and Ankle Wraps.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF you have an informal dress policy at your school then I would suggest wearing clothes that are at least similar to what you normally wear. I usually wear worn out t-shirts and some shorts, Wearing something similar to what you usually wear is a good way to get a feel for the techniques in casual clothes.
I occasionally conduct "street clothes" classes, to give folks a chance to see how this changes things. I picked up the habit from my instructor, and it always bugged me when most folks would show up in shorts and t-shirts, or sweats, or whatever - when that wasn't how they usually dressed. I prefer to wear something at those times that approximates clothing I wear more often - or, something that I think presents an interesting challenge to me or my partner/opponent.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I occasionally conduct "street clothes" classes, to give folks a chance to see how this changes things. I picked up the habit from my instructor, and it always bugged me when most folks would show up in shorts and t-shirts, or sweats, or whatever - when that wasn't how they usually dressed. I prefer to wear something at those times that approximates clothing I wear more often - or, something that I think presents an interesting challenge to me or my partner/opponent.

You need to throw an op shop party.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, and actually in line with a recommendation I've made to folks. Go to a thrift shop (I think that's the same thing) and buy some cheap stuff that's close (in fit and feel) to what you'd normally wear to work. That way, if it gets ripped and stretched, there's no problem. Of course, I keep hoping they'll come back with some ****-ugly outfits, in keeping with the absolute formality I uphold in all my classes.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is that?
Sounds like fun, and actually in line with a recommendation I've made to folks. Go to a thrift shop (I think that's the same thing) and buy some cheap stuff that's close (in fit and feel) to what you'd normally wear to work. That way, if it gets ripped and stretched, there's no problem. Of course, I keep hoping they'll come back with some ****-ugly outfits, in keeping with the absolute formality I uphold in all my classes.
Hehe yeah may be an Aussie term op shop, we have them everywhere. And some of the gold you find there, I quite like them! :)

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At class, I wear my dobok, with a tight fitting base layer and Technical boxer briefs underneath. I have different ones I use' Craft, Pearl Izumi, Under Armour, Champion, Reebok for the shirts. For the underwear, Jockey, Champion, Under Armour, and suprisingly, Kirkland (Costco). As far as shirts go, they all fit about the same. The Craft is just a hair better than the other brands, but it really isn't all that noticeable. For the underwear, Under Armour is clearly the best, IMO, but the others are pretty close for less than half the price of the Under Armour.

For lifting weights, I mostly wear technical shirts and shorts, usually not as tight as the base layer shirts, but made of the same fabric, and from the same brands. . Champion makes decent technical wear for about half the cost of, say, Nike and it is almost identical in fit and comfort. And for riding my bicycle, either indoors or out, I wear road shorts and cycling jerseys, usually with a technical base layer underneath.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At class, I wear my dobok, with a tight fitting base layer and Technical boxer briefs underneath. I have different ones I use' Craft, Pearl Izumi, Under Armour, Champion, Reebok for the shirts. For the underwear, Jockey, Champion, Under Armour, and suprisingly, Kirkland (Costco). As far as shirts go, they all fit about the same. The Craft is just a hair better than the other brands, but it really isn't all that noticeable. For the underwear, Under Armour is clearly the best, IMO, but the others are pretty close for less than half the price of the Under Armour.

For lifting weights, I mostly wear technical shirts and shorts, usually not as tight as the base layer shirts, but made of the same fabric, and from the same brands. . Champion makes decent technical wear for about half the cost of, say, Nike and it is almost identical in fit and comfort. And for riding my bicycle, either indoors or out, I wear road shorts and cycling jerseys, usually with a technical base layer underneath.
I've become a fan of Champion stuff. Inexpensive, and uniformly decent.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am really focused on my LE training (Krav now). We train in 5.11/BDU/Jeans type pants and a t-shirt for the most part. Sometimes it is sweatpants and a t-shirt.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m just curious on what everyone is using as training gear. Right now I just use some Addis sweet paints and whatever shirt I feel like putting on. I would like to get some clothes strictly for training. I’m thinking about some compression shorts and dry fit shirt. What do you guys wear? Right now I train him n Kajukenbo, but I would like to do some BJJ competitions so I’m going to start training in BJJ and Hayastan grappling soon.
Street clothes and boxing shoes or if in a dojo, Gi pants or muay thai shorts and boxing shoes. When I train outdoors I just wear normal street wear.

Latest Discussions