What clothes do you train in

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
People swear by a lot of things that are absolute nonsense. That's why advertising exists.

True, but it's very premature to discount something because people 'swear by it' and therefore it must be a hokey moneygrabbing scheme. Some things are nonsense for sure, some things are not.

What you're describing IS placebo effect.

No I was describing subjective qualities and conscious recognition which actually have tremendous benefit. Placebo to me is more related to a belief structure in which someone believes that a certain thing will have an effect and it therefore produces that, even though the thing wasn't really designed to fulfil what they believed. What I'm describing is very different. Something having a real feeling of support and comfort will usually feel better and help the body move better. These are not measurable, but it doesn't mean it's a 'placebo'.

Except there isn't any real benefit. Your actual performance will be exactly the same. It's only different in your mind.

Convincing yourself that you're the fastest person on earth won't actually make you fast. It'll just make you delusional.

And in this case, you'll be delusional with a lot of very expensive underwear.

To me, to deny the subjective quality of life is delusional.

Placebos have shown time and time again to improve performance, in alot of cases quite dramatically. The mind is an incredibly powerful thing.

I'm not necessarily promoting placebos, and I'm not saying that we go on 'fooling ourselves' and being delusional by just forcing ourselves to believe things not in accord with reality (quite the opposite I tend to go actually). Placebos don't really work that way anyway, the person has to genuinely believe in the thing. If we just try to convince ourselves of something, consciously or subconsciously we know we're bullshitting.

But anyway, I was describing moreso the subjective attributes which can help, not so much placebos.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Except there isn't any real benefit. Your actual performance will be exactly the same. It's only different in your mind.

I know people who put magnets on their fuel lines, turbo intake fans in their intakes and other things like that and are convinced they're running quicker. I personally know one guy who was absolutely convinced that his car was running 11's because of all the crap he'd done to it. Got him to go to the track, and he ran low-15's. Exactly what a stock car like his would run. Because all that crap he'd bolted to it, just like compression clothing, did absolutely nothing. Except convince him he was quicker than he really is.

Except that's not a valid analogy.

Give a group of people a sugar pill and tell them it'll make them run faster, some will rin faster (their potential was held back by the mental attitude they were giving their all when they were actually at 80%).

If you could convince the car it'd be faster, and it was faster, that'd be a placebo...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there's a placebo effect, then there's an actual benefit - it's just not due to the thing we think it is.

Makes me think of Chuck Norris' Copper Fit compression products. I have never used them and doubt the validity of the copper really doing anything. That said, I have had cattle become mineral deficient, particularly copper. They will either get down and cannot get back up or get aggressive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Makes me think of Chuck Norris' Copper Fit compression products. I have never used them and doubt the validity of the copper really doing anything. That said, I have had cattle become mineral deficient, particularly copper. They will either get down and cannot get back up or get aggressive.
I had a soccer player with shin splints. Treatment went fine, then he plateaued. I taped a penny on his shins under his shin pads. I told him the copper and other minerals will diffuse into the area and help it heal faster.

He swore by it. He recommended it to teammates. There were several guys coming in to get the copper therapy. Gotta love the power of suggestion.

This was quite a while before the copper-fit gear came around. I wonder if the inventor was one of those guys? :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That pretty much jives with the mixed information out there. I get all mine on the cheap, so as long as it does what I need (comfort, shedding mud in mud runs, making my calves feel better and my belly look better), I'll probably keep using them regardless of the lack of good evidence for their efficacy.
So long as they’re comfortable, they’re doing their job IMO. It’s easier to perform when you’re comfortable rather than uncomfortable.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a soccer player with shin splints. Treatment went fine, then he plateaued. I taped a penny on his shins under his shin pads. I told him the copper and other minerals will diffuse into the area and help it heal faster.

He swore by it. He recommended it to teammates. There were several guys coming in to get the copper therapy. Gotta love the power of suggestion.
Placebo effect at its finest!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as they’re comfortable, they’re doing their job IMO. It’s easier to perform when you’re comfortable rather than uncomfortable.
And let's not ignore the fact that putting on compression clothing feels just a tiny bit like putting on "my super suit". If we're honest.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Placebo effect at its finest!
I’ve got an even better one that I’m not sure if I posted it here or elsewhere...

I had a soccer player hurt his elbow in the first game of the season. He was pretty soft, and wouldn’t stop complaining about it. Came in 2-3 times a day from treatment. And he’d get it taped every day.

After about 3 weeks of it, I was just done with it. I saw a can of Evian water spray sitting around from the women’s field hockey team. I picked it up and told him it was an analgesic spray that a former athlete gave to me, and we had to conserve it because we couldn’t get it in the US.

So before I taped him, I sprayed his elbow with the water. I told him to wait and let me know when it starts to tingle. About it minute later, it started tingling. Then I told him to tell me when it got warm. Another minute later it was warm. Then I taped him. It was a pretty small can, so I told him we needed to save it for games.

Everyone was in on it. They loved it. One guy gave him a bottle of Evian water while I was taping him to see if he’d make the connection. Nope. We were at another college for a game when their athletic trainer (who’s a good friend of mine) saw me spray him and asked what it was. I handed him the can without saying anything because I couldn’t keep a straight face. My guy tells him “That’s good sh!t, you should get it for your guys.” My buddy leaves the room and I could hear him laughing hysterically in the hallway.

We never told him. I wonder if he ever figured it out later on.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you all wear wrestling shoes or ankle support while doing BJJ? My hands and feet are always sweating. I’m thinking I will have a slipping issue.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you all wear wrestling shoes or ankle support while doing BJJ? My hands and feet are always sweating. I’m thinking I will have a slipping issue.

Wouldn't worry. You are not off your butt in BJJ long enough for it to be an issue.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMG_20180604_165455.jpg

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I’m really looking forward to the Hayastan grappling. I want to compete. I’m going to get a rash guard and compression shorts of I can find some in my size.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m really looking forward to the Hayastan grappling. I want to compete. I’m going to get a rash guard and compression shorts of I can find some in my size.

By the way if you are getting cheapies off eBay. Asian sizes are not European sizes.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m just curious on what everyone is using as training gear. Right now I just use some Addis sweet paints and whatever shirt I feel like putting on. I would like to get some clothes strictly for training. I’m thinking about some compression shorts and dry fit shirt. What do you guys wear? Right now I train him n Kajukenbo, but I would like to do some BJJ competitions so I’m going to start training in BJJ and Hayastan grappling soon.

IF you have an informal dress policy at your school then I would suggest wearing clothes that are at least similar to what you normally wear. I usually wear worn out t-shirts and some shorts, Wearing something similar to what you usually wear is a good way to get a feel for the techniques in casual clothes.

Latest Discussions