Weightlifting for martial arts

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We hear people complain that they see no change in their body

This is very true. I can count myself in that, too many McMuffins and all that. Thinking rather than doing. Good to see you post this snippet of the post.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is very true. I can count myself in that, too many McMuffins and all that. Thinking rather than doing. Good to see you post this snippet of the post.
Perhaps you should cut down on the McMuffins.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sir, Im supposed to be facepalming you, not the other way around.

When I start posting complete and utter nonsense, you may do so.
Until then, your complete and the utter nonsense will be face palmed.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. We hear people complain that they see no change in their body, yet those same people fail to remember that there's more to it than just lifting. You can do 1000 sit ups a day, but if you eat like crap, well.....

In the end, it all comes down to hard work. How hard are you (not YOU, just a figure of speech) willing to work? If you eat right, lift right, and put in the hard work and dedication, you'll see results. If not, well, you won't see results.

Absolutely and as most know, the same applies to anything, just like martial arts. If you just turn up to class once or twice a week and simply go through the motions, don't put thought into your training and analyse what you are doing and don't put in crucial out of class time or take advantage of that weekend training the sensei may offer, well, it shouldn't be surprising if you're not at the top of your game.

Reactions: MJS

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually it won't. In 'professional' body building, the elite competitors all juice. That's a gimmie and common knowledge. That is why there is a difference between professional and natural contests. The natural contests are tested, usually with a poly and perhaps as far as blood work. However, as DD mentioned, a LOT can be masked and you'll have juiced competitors that have been off the sauce for a while compete in the naturals as well. But in the big leagues it is common practice.

If you look at the photo of the natural guy I posted, I know him. He's 100% natural and never juiced. About 4.5% body fat when he's competing. He met Arnold back in the day and Arnold told him candidly that if he ever wanted to compete on the big stage that he'd have to be willing to juice. Turned Michael off and he became an all-natural competitor winning a plethora of natural competitions.

It's a shame really that some folks jeopardize their health to look like a freak. And sorry, that's what thy look like. A natural body builder has an awesome physique. A steroid mutant is bloated and ridiculous. When you have to put maxi pads on the insides of your thighs to keep them from chaffing because their too damn big they constantly rub together....you're too damn big.

I'm biased though, I'm a natural body builder and proud of it.

Not meaning to derail the topic but I would say the likes of Arnold's physique when he was competing is probably just passable as aesthetic and in proportion, sure a massive amount of muscle but not something that had gone beyond the bounds of "reality". For that reason, I would still state Arnold's physique is in some ways superior to the likes of more modern body builders such as Dorian Yates etc.

I agree that these days (and don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort and ability of the likes of Coleman and Cutler etc) the elite pro body builders are pretty horrific to look at and the issues that go with being that size go on and on.

I have done a lot of lifting over the years and these days are more inclined to go with the natural/aesthetic approach, I am not as big as I used to be but am more ripped and feel much more healthy and athletic and actually that works better with my martial arts (and also while it took a while for my "ego" or self-perception to get used to not being one of the biggest/strongest guy's in the gym, the birds for whatever reason seem to prefer a less monstrous, muscle bound physique, go figure). : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quite, but by golly they do tatste good. Sometimes though, a bit of rubbish food is needed. I had a convo with a power lifter at Cheetahs Gym] and he eats it. Different food at different times.

Gosh, you really like the taste of those things?

For some reason I can't stand them. The only thing I can stomach out of McDs and, to be honest, that I actually enjoy the taste of is a BigMac (as long as a fresh, piping hot one).

I can do the chicken nuggets also if I don't want to chew on any bun but I know while they are "100% chicken" that's McD-speak and = 100% "rendered" chicken (ie chicken fat, chicken gristle, chicken skin, bone)(actually the chicken fat is too good for the nuggets, they hold that back and pump it all into those thick shakes they churn out. : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quite, but by golly they do tatste good. Sometimes though, a bit of rubbish food is needed. I had a convo with a power lifter at Cheetahs Gym] and he eats it. Different food at different times.
yes power lifting or strength training is completely different, if you are all about power and strength, then asthetics are not the key, strongmen and lifters often consume everything under the sun, it all goes to building more mass and strength. An old bodybuilding saying, which is more appropriate as a powerlifting saying (depending on your weight category), goes something like: "if you see something, eat it." :)

And your mate is absolutely right, the time of day (and depending when you have trained) has a massive effect on the impact certain foods will have on you, if you give a damn about that kind of thing.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes power lifting or strength training is completely different, if you are all about power and strength, then asthetics are not the key, strongmen and lifters often consume everything under the sun, it all goes to building more mass and strength. An old bodybuilding saying, which is more appropriate as a powerlifting saying (depending on your weight category), goes something like: "if you see something, eat it." :)

And your mate is absolutely right, the time of day (and depending when you have trained) has a massive effect on the impact certain foods will have on you, if you give a damn about that kind of thing.

Right okay. That makes sense. That power lifter was a bit chunky in the midrift.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I took a couple years off of MA's due to a knee injury, but was able to keep lifting weights with mostly 300 type workouts during that time. A few months ago, at the ripe old age of 43 with lots of injuries, I joined an MMA gym.

By my unofficial count, out of 200 students, there are < 10 of us over the age of 30 (most are probably 20 - 25). I can tell you that I have no problem staying right in the middle of the pack in terms strength, cardio, explosiveness, etc. and would attribute it to the training Ive done for the last couple years.

FWIW

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I took a couple years off of MA's due to a knee injury, but was able to keep lifting weights with mostly 300 type workouts during that time. A few months ago, at the ripe old age of 43 with lots of injuries, I joined an MMA gym.

By my unofficial count, out of 200 students, there are < 10 of us over the age of 30 (most are probably 20 - 25). I can tell you that I have no problem staying right in the middle of the pack in terms strength, cardio, explosiveness, etc. and would attribute it to the training Ive done for the last couple years.

FWIW
Good for you, although, you're really not that old. Some people reach their prime in their 40s.

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Resistance training is good, it will give strength and power. Will give your body more strictural integrity. Add it to your training regimen.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FWIW

Yeah that's cool man. Continued good luck with it. Maybe I should look at joining a MMA gym.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to throw in another snippet: I also think that progressive calisthenics can be very valuable both in terms of strength gains and overall body awareness/balance etc. I did the Stronglifts program for 3 months or so and made good strength gains but it got to the point that the weights got heavy enough that I would slightly injure myself every time I lost a bit of focus. I switched mostly to bodyweight training now, working up to muscleups, handstand pushups, one armed pushups and pistol squats. I really like the balancing aspect, especially with the pistol squats ( which so far look like I just consumed a fifth of bourbon) and I hope this is going to help my TKD. However, I will still keep weighted backsquats in my rotation because I really like what they did for my hip mobility.

I will also have to say that doing Stronglifts 3x per week on top of cardio and 2-3 TKD classes was too much for me to recover from. I am after all oldish......

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calisthenics is something that I should really delve into. I don't have a clue what it is. That is a strange situation to me

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im a big fan of strength training, I also am a big believer in jogging/running. My favorite routine is pull ups, shadow boxing and a three mile jog.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im a big fan of strength training, I also am a big believer in jogging/running. My favorite routine is pull ups, shadow boxing and a three mile jog.

Me, I absolutely hate running! The strength training, I would like to ask some questions on that at some point :)

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This weight lifting topic pops up on another forum Ive been a member of for the past couple of years, and it never fails to carry mixed opnions. On a personal note I would like to offer my own personal experience. Without strength training I would feel lostt in the world, it dosnt just make me physically healthier but it keeps me mentally healthier as well.

Latest Discussions