Wearing your gi and belt in public

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just have to get this out there and get everyone's opinion because it's been bugging me:

A few days a week when I drive to work I see a guy who is always leaning against a bus stop pole waiting for the bus in his karate gi with his black belt on. He's got a back pack on his back which tells me he's probably got cloths he can change into. I always try to keep to my own but everytime I see this guy I want to honk at him and shake my fist - or stop and at least talk to him. It's not my business so I take a deep breath and keep driving
wink.gif

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Instructors - how would you feel if you saw one of your black belts all posed up in public leaning on a pole like John Wayne?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just have to get this out there and get everyone's opinion because it's been bugging me:

A few days a week when I drive to work I see a guy who is always leaning against a bus stop pole waiting for the bus in his karate gi with his black belt on. He's got a back pack on his back which tells me he's probably got cloths he can change into. I always try to keep to my own but everytime I see this guy I want to honk at him and shake my fist - or stop and at least talk to him. It's not my business so I take a deep breath and keep driving
wink.gif

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Instructors - how would you feel if you saw one of your black belts all posed up in public leaning on a pole like John Wayne?
Honestly, I have no philosophical objection. But I do find this dorky on an epic scale. Even just gi pants is pretty nerdy, but to wear the entire ensemble in public is cheesy to the nth degree.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I ask my student's not to wear their gi in public. Its tacky and inappropriate.

The closest I ever come to it is wearing my gi pants and tee shirt on the way to and from a workout. I don't wear the gi jacket and belt in public unless I'm doing a demo or at a tourney.

Mark

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done it. I normally take off the belt and wear a sweatshirt overtop or change out of my top into a t shirt....but I used to train at a place with no locker room and I had to stop to get things on the way home sometimes. honestly, I see no reason not to and I don't really get embarrassed. Plus, I'm so used to walking around in uniform all day....I guess I kind of think of it just like my regular uniform.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no philosophical objection. But I do find this dorky on an epic scale. Even just gi pants is pretty nerdy, but to wear the entire ensemble in public is cheesy to the nth degree.

+1.

Though I admit I usually change into my gi pants when I leave home so that I can change into my gi jacket in the dojo. The reason is that the changing rooms are usually occupied by the soccer guys, or have been occupied by the soccer guys. In one case it's overcrowded, in the other the floors are dirty with mud.

That said, I park my car right next to the building inside the sporting grounds, so it's not like I am in public.

Wearing gi and belt in public is fairly dorky, and likely to attract unwanted attention. But as you said, there are no philosophical objections. It is against Genbukan dress code though. We only wear our belt inside the dojo.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose that I might just assume that he is on his way to class, does not own a car, and wants to keep his street clothes fresh for after class.

Honestly, who cares? Given some of the hideous things I have seen people wear in public, a gi is fine by me. I'd rather see that than openly offensive "message" tee shirts.

Now, he certainly opens himself up to hecklers, but I figure that that is his own affair. Who knows? Maybe he just thinks that it is comfortable. It isn't as if a gi is some kind of mystical holy garment. My main concern if I were him, hecklers aside, is damaging that gold stitched belt, as those are generally more costly than the gi. Also, unlike the gi, the belt does have a fair amount of significance in that it was awarded by the school represents his hard work and effort. If he's wearing the 7.95 Karatedepot.com plain black belt, then those issues are negated.

I figure its no worse than a guy who rides the bus in a three piece suit. He's not hurting anyone.

Daniel

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, although I always preach the mantra of "each to their own" I've got to admit that this is something which I find ridiculous. Maybe I'm just plain shy, but the idea of leaning against a lamp post at a bus stop while dressed in a gi sends shivers through me, and I don't even practice anything which involves wearing a hakama!

When I go caving I get changed into my suit and put on the hard hat once I've arrived at the location. Seems like the same thing to me.

Regards,
William

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally... If you're not a 10 year old, it's dorky. At least take off the jacket and belt and carry them separately.

Generally, even if I'm at a full day seminar or tournament, and going out for some lunch or something, I'll at least take off the jacket and belt. Day to day -- I change before class, and encourage my students to do the same. Why draw silly attention to yourself outside of class?

But, then, of course... there's the whole Leroy Brown thing from The Last Dragon!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

wink.gif

Me personally, I dont like to wear anything MA related out in public. Things like demos are different, but to walk around, say, after a class, to the store, waiting on the street for a ride, etc., no, I would not do that. Why? Too many people out there, who thrive on seeing stuff like that, and use that as an excuse to challenge you, start saying stupid stuff like asking if you thought you could kick their ***, etc.

If someone else wants to wear their uniform outside, thats fine with me.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me personally, I dont like to wear anything MA related out in public. Things like demos are different, but to walk around, say, after a class, to the store, waiting on the street for a ride, etc., no, I would not do that. Why? Too many people out there, who thrive on seeing stuff like that, and use that as an excuse to challenge you, start saying stupid stuff like asking if you thought you could kick their ***, etc.

If someone else wants to wear their uniform outside, thats fine with me.

I'm with you MJS....

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Full Karategi and black (or any) belt leaning on a light pole at a bus stop (or going to Walmart, Wendy's or the post office, for that matter)...IMHO = massive tool bag.

Wearing karategi pants while carrying top and belt, wearing a tshirt and jacket...no different than sweatpants.

My choice and own personal practice...only the tshirt, socks and drawers that I am going to be wearing under my karategi and workout shoes are acceptable as out-of-practice wear. They usually go well with jeans and boots anyway...

School related t-shirts or jackets or hats...wear with discretion and know that folks judge your school by your actions and you by the reputation of that school. I also would recommend against wearing anything that is clearly emblazoned "BLACK BELT," "FUTURE BLACK BELT," or "MY [insert relative here] IS A BLACK BELT (especially when walking with said relative).

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score

Ditto.

I wouldn't walk around in my motocross boots, gloves and goggles either.

Some people just are dying to be recognized for something they are involved in. Dorky on an epic scale sums it up perfectly.

Of course, I hate wearing a gi even in class.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually wear my gi pants or grappling shorts in public if I'm in a hurry, right before class. They're super comfy.

But I try not to, if I can. I don't want to track dirt into the gym with my just-sat-in-a-funky-pee-stained-train-seat pants/shorts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I usually roll up my gi and wrap it in the belt. Finding a dressing room/locker room isn't a big deal for me. I'll change clothes pretty much anywhere, as long as it's got room to breathe. In fact, because I'm claustrophobic, I'm more likely to change in public than in a bathroom stall or changing room, just because I get panicky within seconds if I don't have at least arms' length around me to move.

Of course, I'm sensitive to kids and won't drop trow just anywhere. I try to be aware of the females, too, but we share a changing room at my BJJ school, and while I try to look out for the women, it's not enough of a priority to get me to step into one of the windowless coffins my school calls changing stalls.

All of this simply to say, I'll change clothes pretty much anywhere rather than wear my gi around town, although we all get caught unprepared from time to time. I had to wear my Gameness gi pants into a grocery store once and was very self conscious.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ditto.

I wouldn't walk around in my motocross boots, gloves and goggles either.

Some people just are dying to be recognized for something they are involved in. Dorky on an epic scale sums it up perfectly.

Of course, I hate wearing a gi even in class.
I went with my son to eat hot wings on his birthday. This is one of those places that has the typical hotwing challenge. If you can eat 7 of their #7s (their hottest wings) in 7 minutes, you get a t-shirt and your picture on their wall. My son got it in his head that he wanted to try this so for his 14th birthday he and I went for it.

Well, it was only after doing this that I realized there were a few people in the wing place wearing these shirts. One came up before we started to give us pointers. It was clear that this was the most important thing he'd ever done in his life. Pretty sad.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
They guy is just inviting a fight. I have no objection to what people choose to do or dress, but I question how far he thought this through. There are plenty of people out there looking for reasons to "prove themselves," why paint a target on your back with a flashing neon sign saying "taking all comers!"?

To each their own, but you wouldn't catch me where my Gi and/or obi in public.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Knowing the kind of time, effort etc. it will take to get a black belt, it's not something I take lightly. I will be proud someday to earn it. However, I would never consider wearing the belt in public because it would invite all the wrong kinds of attention, even to the point of the odd whacko challenging me to "karate". This sort of thing has been known to happen to others, even when wearing colored belts.

So, if I see an adult habitually wearing a gi and black belt in public, my first instinct is that he is sending a message loud and clear,"I WANT ATTENTION!" Maybe he wants somebody to try to pick a fight with him so he can show off his skills. Maybe he wants the ladies to swoon. Maybe he has a superhero complex? Who knows, but it screams of juvenile ego. At least, that's how I would see such a person.

Not cool. Like somebody else pointed out, you could at least carry the top and belt if you have nothing else to change into.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Certainly not my style. For starters, where do you put the money to pay the fare? In what orifice do you store the coin ... or do you just carry a handbag?
icon5.gif
icon5.gif
icon10.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a fan of people wearing there uniform outside except for demo's and such. Every school should have restrooms or a changing area for there customers.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its foolish, and simply not needed. He can wear the gi pants with any casual shirt and change into gi top at the dojo.

The fact that he has the belt on also, LOL. Something odd going on there...

Imagine sitting on the bus as he swaggers to his seat, actually i wonder if he bows to the driver.. :)

Latest Discussions