Wearing your gi and belt in public

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear my gi pants to the dojo. Saves time. But I only have to walk from my apartment to the car and then into the dojo, so I'm not 'in public' for more than 100 yards or so. I have my gi top and belt in a gym bag along with my bottle of water and sparring gear.

I also do not wear 'civilian' clothing that advertises martial arts. I mean, it's cool and all, but I just don't see myself sporting a t-shirt that announces that I train in MA, or a hat or a bumper sticker or whatever. Our dojo has some t-shirts, and I suppose I should buy one to support the dojo, but I think I'll just wear it around the house.

It would not bother me to see someone wearing a full gi and belt on the street, but yeah, I would think it a bit on the dorky side.

What *does* frost my nuggets is people who wear military-issue camo or parts of uniforms, who clearly never served in the military.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Walking around in a gi and a hakama is sure way to get attention. "Dude, why are you wearing a dress?"

When i work one of our seminars and I have to run out to get lunches, or some other errand, I'll wear whatever I'm wearing at the time, which is generally my hakama. The odd time i may wear my hakama home in the car if I'm just too beat to change.

If circumstances give you no other choice then do as you will...

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don`t wear our uniform outside the Dojo, it is a club rule. No need to show off and it is simply not the general public`s business what we wear when we train. Gi pants with a t-shirt or jacket is ok tho.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I also do not wear 'civilian' clothing that advertises martial arts. I mean, it's cool and all, but I just don't see myself sporting a t-shirt that announces that I train in MA, or a hat or a bumper sticker or whatever. Our dojo has some t-shirts, and I suppose I should buy one to support the dojo, but I think I'll just wear it around the house.
I wear Jiu Jitsu related t-shirts, but am pretty particular about them. I won't wear something that implies that I'm a badass, or suggests that I like to fight. I also have nothing against wearing a brand logo shirt, like a Koral, Atama or HCK shirt. It's cool when someone recognizes the brand and asks where I train.
What *does* frost my nuggets is people who wear military-issue camo or parts of uniforms, who clearly never served in the military.
How can you tell if they've served or not? Age?

I don't have a problem with it provided that rank and such has been removed. Once again, unless you're in the woods, I think it looks dorky, but don't have any kind of philosophical objection.

As a side note, why do hunters carry camoflauge wallets? What if they drop it in the woods? They're screwed. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started my Kenpo training at a small school that had a ridiculously high retention rate. As a result...we were a medum-to-large-sized school in a small sized space. The owners eventually moved to a much larger location, but before that happened, we were encouraged to come to class "as dressed as possible". To say the school was crowded would be an understatement :lol:

I was a white belt with little other martial arts experience to speak of (and I'm a clumsy nerd to boot...LOL) so I generally preferred to change at work before going over. It would sometimes take me a couple of tries to get my gi or my belt tied the way I wanted....and I hated doing that in front of everyone else at the school. Looking back, I can understand that no one would have cared....but at the time I sure felt embarrassed about it. :eek:

I tried to arrange things so I could go right from work to school, but there were a couple of times when I needed to stop in between...my car really needed gas, or I really needed water or an energy bar before training. I felt like a total dork...but it largely went unnoticed. The only comments I received was someone recognizing the school name and saying "hey my kid brother trains there" or something like that.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score

I wear Jiu Jitsu related t-shirts, but am pretty particular about them. I won't wear something that implies that I'm a badass, or suggests that I like to fight. I also have nothing against wearing a brand logo shirt, like a Koral, Atama or HCK shirt. It's cool when someone recognizes the brand and asks where I train.
Like steve I see no problem wearing something that is MA related so long as it is not BLATANTLY OBVIOUS. I still wear a hat from my CLF guan. Unless you can read Chinese, there is no way of knowing it is MA related. Even then, it could just be the name of a school, Brand, or anything else for that matter (Plum Blossom) and have nothing to do with MA. So to know this by seeing the hat you would have to A) Be familiar with the guan, or B) Read chinese and be savvy in CMA circles.

Shirts with brands on them is no problem either, some of these brand shirts are very stylish! It is no different then wearing Vans, Volcum, Billabong, Rusty, Quicksilver, NoFear, Osiris all very popular lines from skate and surf companies. In most cases people just say, cool shirt. And only people familiar with the brands will even know that they have to do with MA gear.

Yes, how is it OBVIOUS upon first look that a person has served in a branch of the military or not? I see many vets that were Mil. camo, even unserviceable Mil. camo to do work in. I have Even worn mine when hiking, changing oil, or yard work. To look at me today, I doubt anyone's first impression is that I am "clearly" a vet. Like MA, I don't advertise it. Only the people who know me know I'm a vet.

Do you go up and ask every person you see wearing Mil. camo if they served? Or do you just assume?

So long as you're not wearing rank and insignias, I don't care. It's just clothing at that point.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I change clothes before I go to "class" and change back and shower when I'm home. This is because my parents drive me, so it feels kinda pointless to drag clothes to the dojo and change there.
I wear my jacket over it though... and if I must take the bus, I change at the dojo. To stand around in town with your gi on is silly.

Silly silly silly! :)

right on, i carry a bag with me at all times when i go to our dojo and change. even then my bag is not see through so no one knows whats in it =] can you tell I'm full of ego? LOL jk :p

Walking around in a gi and a hakama is sure way to get attention. "Dude, why are you wearing a dress?"

Hahah, i sometimes watch the Aikidokas at the place where we train and was chatting with one of the senseis there and i said first time I seen a Hakama and i thought it was a skirt and he said 'thats what my sister calls it....my skirt" =]

Like steve I see no problem wearing something that is MA related so long as it is not BLATANTLY OBVIOUS. I still wear a hat from my CLF guan. Unless you can read Chinese, there is no way of knowing it is MA related.

I was just wondering, If i had a tiger on my book bag. You know, one of those regular orange and black striped ones. I could have that, because most people dont know that the tiger is our symbol anyways. So it wouldnt be obvious......

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score

It is functionally impossible for me to state how much I agree with this statement. It drives me nuts each time I see it, especially when the article of clothing still has unit or rank insignia on it. Those things have meaning that is demeaned when worn by people that have'nt earned the right to do so.

Mark

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a side note, why do hunters carry camoflauge wallets? What if they drop it in the woods? They're screwed. :)

My uncle once found a 7mm Remington rifle which was done up in camoflauge pattern next to a pile of deer innards. The hunter had been so excited to shoot his first deer that he had left the rifle next to where he gutted the animal. My Uncle was unable to locate the man for days(he had to get help from a LE buddy to check the seriel number of the weapon) and, upon finding the fellow and returning the rifle, the guy admitted that he went back out to the woods and searched around for hours for the weapon.

We suggested neon yellow for his next weapon.

:)

Mark

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just have to get this out there and get everyone's opinion because it's been bugging me:

A few days a week when I drive to work I see a guy who is always leaning against a bus stop pole waiting for the bus in his karate gi with his black belt on. He's got a back pack on his back which tells me he's probably got cloths he can change into. I always try to keep to my own but everytime I see this guy I want to honk at him and shake my fist - or stop and at least talk to him. It's not my business so I take a deep breath and keep driving
wink.gif

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Instructors - how would you feel if you saw one of your black belts all posed up in public leaning on a pole like John Wayne?
It sounds like a good way to get beat up.
Sean

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me personally, I dont like to wear anything MA related out in public. Things like demos are different, but to walk around, say, after a class, to the store, waiting on the street for a ride, etc., no, I would not do that. Why? Too many people out there, who thrive on seeing stuff like that, and use that as an excuse to challenge you, start saying stupid stuff like asking if you thought you could kick their ***, etc.

If someone else wants to wear their uniform outside, thats fine with me.

Exactly.

One of the first things I was taught as a kid was never to do this. It's the equivillent to wearing a sign around your neck that says, "Go ahead, try to kick my butt. I dare you."

It's counter to the concept of self-defense; one doesn't invite trouble.

And it's also just plain dorky. LOL

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly.

One of the first things I was taught as a kid was never to do this. It's the equivillent to wearing a sign around your neck that says, "Go ahead, try to kick my butt. I dare you."

It's counter to the concept of self-defense; one doesn't invite trouble.

And it's also just plain dorky. LOL
This is why that "SHO NUFF" movie was so stupid.
Sean

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know a guy who runs a school at a community center. He has a regular full time gig, & has plenty of time to change at the center, but wears his full gi & belt (stripes & all) to & from the community center every night. Everyone from the folks who box there, to his own instructor (who's opinion he doesn't value) thinks he's quite a joke. I've seen him at the store after class. The sad thing is, he thinks it looks cool. And I'm talking about a 45 year old man!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is functionally impossible for me to state how much I agree with this statement. It drives me nuts each time I see it, especially when the article of clothing still has unit or rank insignia on it. Those things have meaning that is demeaned when worn by people that have'nt earned the right to do so.

Mark

The girls get annoyed around our way whenever 'the military look' is suggested as being the next fashion fad and the fashionistas rant about looking good in camo. It doesn't work for the ladies on an army garrison lol! Though it does cut down on non military types wearing it, you are liable to have some big hairy **** Sgt.Maj. shouting at you thinking you're one of his, other than that I don't think many military types care that civvies are wearing military stuff rank and all. I don't think the military here think about a lot of things the same way as the American military which is probably very good if world peace is a priority, squaddies only want to do two things, one of which is fight. Rank is only extra money... oh and extra mess bills. It's not a big deal if civvies want to wear the stuff.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The girls get annoyed around our way whenever 'the military look' is suggested as being the next fashion fad and the fashionistas rant about looking good in camo. It doesn't work for the ladies on an army garrison lol! Though it does cut down on non military types wearing it, you are liable to have some big hairy **** Sgt.Maj. shouting at you thinking you're one of his, other than that I don't think many military types care that civvies are wearing military stuff rank and all. I don't think the military here think about a lot of things the same way as the American military which is probably very good if world peace is a priority, squaddies only want to do two things, one of which is fight. Rank is only extra money... oh and extra mess bills. It's not a big deal if civvies want to wear the stuff.
Well sure. It's different for you guys. I mean, after this, how seriously could things be taken? :D

sgt_pepper.gif

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering, If i had a tiger on my book bag. You know, one of those regular orange and black striped ones. I could have that, because most people dont know that the tiger is our symbol anyways. So it wouldnt be obvious......

For all any one knows you are a Tigers fan or a Bengals fan. Or maybe you just like Tigers...

There is nothing wrong with wanting to have some pride in what you do, but one must have a little discretion, as to not draw unwarranted attention to the fact that you are an MAist. Because all to often some kind of stupid comes out of someones mouth for you to show them something, or to challenge you.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
For all any one knows you are a Tigers fan or a Bengals fan. Or maybe you just like Tigers...

Exactly. Who is gonna associate it with Shotokan? 10 bucks says very very few if anyone at all..... Especially if it is just a pic or something of a regular bengal tiger...... and not a tiger that looks like the one in my Avatar.

ceaer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the original scenario, I hope that guy is heading home from class and not heading towards class. Buses tend to be really grimy. I would not want to work with someone who's been wearing their uniform on a grimy bus for however long.

My school doesn't have a rule about it. We've got nice changing rooms, some people use them, some don't. Some come in in street clothes but will leave in their uniform. Some come in in their uniform but will leave in street clothes. No real rhyme or reason to it.

Personally, I would never wear my uniform in public, mainly because I would feel ridiculous and it would draw unwanted attention. I'll wear the school t-shirt no problems though. It's a very nice t-shirt and doesn't draw unwanted attention as it's not as blatantly obvious as a uniform. When people have taken the time to read the shirt and comment on it, it's always been positive remarks.

I do wear my uniform to class but I'm not taking public transit, I walk out my door and to my car all of 10 yards away. Then when I park, I'm never more than a 30 second walk away from the dojo door. I'm never really "in public" so it doesn't bother me.
When it's warm out I'll take off the belt and jacket before I leave, just to be comfortable, and if I'll be stopping anywhere-- for gas or to get a quart of milk-- I take off the belt and jacket always. I leave the gi pants on, they don't look too out of place if you're just wearing them with a t-shirt. I do see some people who will pump gas in their uniform (there's a gas station right down the road from the dojo, and they've got cheap prices too) which strikes me as silly, but it's their perogative.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

One look is generally all it takes with guys. Women, you never know. And yes, age. But believe me, you can tell.

I don't have a problem with it provided that rank and such has been removed. Once again, unless you're in the woods, I think it looks dorky, but don't have any kind of philosophical objection.
Well, I can't say that they haven't the right to wear what they please, but it still galls me. To me, they haven't earned the right, and they're being disrespectful to those who have.

It's like all those black-beret-wearing, clove-cigarette-smoking angsty teens moping around in Soviet Army winter overcoats with US Army stripes sewn on upside-down. Oh please. Yes, your life is tragic. Lose your house while you're sick and out of work, have your car break down and your wife leave, and then tell me how awful it is that some band you like broke up and your dad wants you to cut your hair and get a job. Puh-leeze.

LOL!

Latest Discussions