Wearing your gi and belt in public

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm also prone to changing pretty much anywhere. In my case, I think it goes back to my experience in theatre in childhood and college; we often changed costumes quickly just off-stage, if there wasn't time to go to a dressing room.

And why you should wear your good undies to training.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And why you should wear your good undies to training.
Makes me think of my first trip to Japan back in the early 90's. I was in Kawasaki for work, and asked one of the guys that spoke a little English if he knew somewhere in the area that did Japanese sword arts so I could go watch. He took me that evening to a little place in a large building, introduced me to the instructor (who spoke no English) and off he went. I had my kit with me and he invited me (with much gesturing and arm waving) to join them for practice. By this time, there were five other people there, all of them looked to be in their 60's (including one woman). I was watching to see where everyone went to change when everybody just started dropping clothes on the floor. The Japanese were much less body conscious than we are in the U.S., so I just followed along with the crowd. Had a hard time not staring at the grandma's Hello Kitty panties though! :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Damm so according to most on this thread I can't wear a belt in public? Damm that's going to suck when my trousers keep falling down in public
I just have to get this out there and get everyone's opinion because it's been bugging me:

A few days a week when I drive to work I see a guy who is always leaning against a bus stop pole waiting for the bus in his karate gi with his black belt on. He's got a back pack on his back which tells me he's probably got cloths he can change into. I always try to keep to my own but everytime I see this guy I want to honk at him and shake my fist - or stop and at least talk to him. It's not my business so I take a deep breath and keep driving
wink.gif

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Instructors - how would you feel if you saw one of your black belts all posed up in public leaning on a pole like John Wayne?
I don't see what the issue is. I have been known to wear my uniform in public. I'll change into it at home, go to the school and teach, and then SWMBO will say, "Hey, can you stop at the grocery store on the way home and pick up...."? So there I am, pushing a basket through the store in my uniform. And someone will always say something, which gives me the opportunity to whip out a card, VIP them and invite them to come do a free lesson.

It's all good. My only peeve is people who wear the uniform and *don't* wear the belt. The belt is part of the uniform. You might as well not wear your pants while you're at it.

My $0.02 worth....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...So there I am, pushing a basket through the store in my uniform. And someone will always say something, which gives me the opportunity to whip out a card, VIP them and invite them to come do a free lesson.

Yep, promote the MA at every opportunity. I'd do exactly the same. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't see what the issue is. I have been known to wear my uniform in public. I'll change into it at home, go to the school and teach, and then SWMBO wilay, "HI ey, can you stop at the grocery store on the way home and pick up...."? So there I am, pushing a basket through the store in my uniform. And someone will always say something, which gives me the opportunity to whip out a card, VIP them and invite them to come do a free lesson.

I suspect that if this were actually studied, the most common response to someone wearing their dobak in public would be no response. The next would likely be curiosity, a question or two, or a "I did xxxxx when I was 3"-type comment. Being attacked because of the uniform? I really do not think this is at all likely. I've never seen an assault with this used as the reason. Nor have I ever seen a credible report of it ever happening.

It's all good. My only peeve is people who wear the uniform and *don't* wear the belt. The belt is part of the uniform. You might as well not wear your pants while you're at it.

My $0.02 worth....

Personally, if you MUST leave part of your uniform off, I really really really prefer that it be the belt, not the pants.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just have to get this out there and get everyone's opinion because it's been bugging me:

A few days a week when I drive to work I see a guy who is always leaning against a bus stop pole waiting for the bus in his karate gi with his black belt on. He's got a back pack on his back which tells me he's probably got cloths he can change into...
Sounds to me like he's inviting an @$$ beating. I guess he knows he's safe in that neighborhood and on that bus route. There are some 'hoods where guys would test a fool dressed up like that.

There's also the possibility that he's just a wannabe poser and isn't even an actual black belt (or even a karateka)

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah...
That's what the Gi was, originally. Peoples underwear.
At least, that is one origin story.
Yes, that's one story, though not the best-supported version I've heard (seems more likely it's derived from field hands' clothing, perhaps Okinawan?). I know of at least one anecdote that may give us a clue as to how the two got confounded, as it has a Japanese instructor (in pre-WWII Japan) referring to showing up without hakama as being like showing up without your pants on.

I don't think that was the intent of the post I replied to. And mine was a joke in reply.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
...So there I am, pushing a basket through the store in my uniform. And someone will always say something, which gives me the opportunity to whip out a card, VIP them and invite them to come do a free lesson....
Yes! Cosplay is a great marketing tool! I often do my grocery shopping in a g-string and a bow tie and I can't tell you how many women have come up to me and want to hire me to dress up like a cop for their best friend's bachelorette party!

(OK...I made that last part up)

"Re-stomp the groin"
Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! Cosplay is a great marketing tool! I often do my grocery shopping in a g-string and a bow tie and I can't tell you how many women have come up to me and want to hire me to dress up like a cop for their best friend's bachelorette party!

(OK...I made that last part up)

Please tell us that you made up the first part too...

40th Alabama

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

A few days a week when I drive to work I see a guy who is always leaning against a bus stop pole waiting for the bus in his karate gi with his black belt on. He's got a back pack on his back which tells me he's probably got cloths he can change into. I always try to keep to my own but everytime I see this guy I want to honk at him and shake my fist - or stop and at least talk to him. It's not my business so I take a deep breath and keep driving
wink.gif

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Instructors - how would you feel if you saw one of your black belts all posed up in public leaning on a pole like John Wayne?

We instruct our students to NOT wear their uniforms outside the dojang. I agree with one of the posters that you can wear the pants and change into the top later and then wear your belt (changing areas are a problem). I would add though, in Atlanta you can see a guy wearing a pink tutu twirling a baton, one wearing a crown with a king's robe, and there is Bicycle Bob who wears his bike pants and apparently either carries all of his socks in the crotch or has an 18" slong. The guy may just not be "right".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to get a sneaky shot of this tkd guy who wears his belt with a t shirt to do the groceries.

As far as I can tell. That would mean after training the belt has to come off the gi top has to come off and then the belt has to go back on.

Which seems pretty intentional.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to get a sneaky shot of this tkd guy who wears his belt with a t shirt to do the groceries.

As far as I can tell. That would mean after training the belt has to come off the gi top has to come off and then the belt has to go back on.

Which seems pretty intentional.
To be fair some places are allowed to train in gi pants and a t shirt and belt especially in summer months

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah pretty dry shirt for after training.

images
Could've been a while after training or might've simply not been a hard class so the guy didnt sweat
And yeah but not all schools train like that I know I never wore a t shirt in my traditional days but I know I a lot of people did

Latest Discussions