Wearing your gi and belt in public

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know a guy who runs a school at a community center. He has a regular full time gig, & has plenty of time to change at the center, but wears his full gi & belt (stripes & all) to & from the community center every night. Everyone from the folks who box there, to his own instructor (who's opinion he doesn't value) thinks he's quite a joke. I've seen him at the store after class. The sad thing is, he thinks it looks cool. And I'm talking about a 45 year old man!

That is just sad.....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, how is it OBVIOUS upon first look that a person has served in a branch of the military or not?

We just know.

I see many vets that were Mil. camo, even unserviceable Mil. camo to do work in. I have Even worn mine when hiking, changing oil, or yard work.

Sure, I can fully understand that. How about that kid wearing the field jacket with the fourragere and the captain's bars in class at the local high school? Yeah yeah, 5th Marines, no doubt. Sure he's got dust on his boots.

To look at me today, I doubt anyone's first impression is that I am "clearly" a vet. Like MA, I don't advertise it. Only the people who know me know I'm a vet.

Think so? Really?

Do you go up and ask every person you see wearing Mil. camo if they served? Or do you just assume?

I generally just know. No need to assume.

So long as you're not wearing rank and insignias, I don't care. It's just clothing at that point.

Eh, to each their own. It bugs the crap out of me. I run into too many people my age who tell me "I was going to join the [name of service], but [lame excuse]." Yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. I did, you didn't. Sorry, but it's too late to join the club. It's not a big deal, I never became a baseball player. But I also don't wear a professional baseball player's uniform around town.

Do I think being a veteran makes me special? Yep, sure do. You, me, and all the veterans who served their country honorably. We did something damned few can do, fewer still are willing to do. Peacetime or wartime, we paid a price and parts of us changed forever. We did something to be proud of. And yes, we're a breed apart.

Not asking for thanks, and I don't go around advertising my veteran status. Well maybe a little, I've got a USMC bumper sticker on my car, 'cause other jarheads honk and wave. But I got no time for wanna-be's, and to me, the non-vet guy wearing camo is just play-acting at something he didn't pack the gear to really be.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, to each their own. It bugs the crap out of me. I run into too many people my age who tell me "I was going to join the [name of service], but [lame excuse]." Yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. I did, you didn't. Sorry, but it's too late to join the club.
No coulda, woulda, shoulda. In 1983 they were "picky" about recruits with DUI's. If I was 23 today they take me in a heartbeat. Haha you can have your "club."

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dobak, Dogi are just really expensive underwear from Asia. I try to wear mine as little as possible outside of training.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's like all those black-beret-wearing, clove-cigarette-smoking angsty teens moping around in Soviet Army winter overcoats with US Army stripes sewn on upside-down. Oh please. Yes, your life is tragic... how awful it is that some band you like broke up and your dad wants you to cut your hair and get a job.

I'm all for handing out the razor blades if their life is so "hard."

Somewhat back on track. In biker circles, you see alot of military gear on vets and a bit on non-military folks. I have found that those who weren't military but are wearing the uniform stuff 1) look out of place, not anything specific, just not right and 2) are often apologetic about it when they see my vest.

So to redirect into another related discussion, what do you (being the Martialtalk audience) think about folks who mix martial arts and military uniforms? The fellow that comes to mind immediately for me - his name escapes me - is a former marine who teaches okinawan karate in a white karategi and jumpboots. I've seen him in Black Belt Magazine several times. I'm sure other folks do it too...

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
what about royal canadian army cadets? I was in it for 4 years and earned 2 ranks - private and corporal. can we wear military stuff then? even though it isnt the real military, its loosely based but still - it did some stuff that military does - like living out in the bush, eating rations and learning how to move and stalk in the wilderness. and oh yeah - fire guns and do drill.

ceaer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eh, to each their own. It bugs the crap out of me. I run into too many people my age who tell me "I was going to join the [name of service], but [lame excuse]." Yeah, coulda, woulda, shoulda. I did, you didn't. Sorry, but it's too late to join the club. It's not a big deal, I never became a baseball player. But I also don't wear a professional baseball player's uniform around town.

I'm going to avoid the military clothing discussion, but the baseball uniform thing made me think of something:
I work in a children's library and on weekends I often see little kids come in after practices or classes in various uniforms: martial arts, baseball, soccer, ballet, etc. No one thinks twice about it because they're just little kids. But as has been mentioned, people think adults in martial arts uniforms are, at the very least, silly. What about adults in other "sports" uniforms, like baseball or soccer?
Would the 45 year old waiting for the bus be ridiculed for wearing a jersey, shorts, shinguards, cleats, etc., carrying a soccer ball?
I don't think so. When I played soccer I had no qualms about stopping for gas or running into the grocery store in full uniform, whereas I've already mentioned I won't do either of those things after karate without taking off the jacket and belt.
I'm just curious now as to why that is. I guess because a soccer or baseball uniform is less likely to draw attention as they're more commonly seen?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
One look is generally all it takes with guys. Women, you never know. And yes, age. But believe me, you can tell.
Rarely, I'll grant that it's pretty clear. In most cases, I would disagree. You can't tell. Vets come in all shapes and sizes. Many are upstanding and many others are despicable. About the only reliable gauge would be teens wearing camo.
Well, I can't say that they haven't the right to wear what they please, but it still galls me. To me, they haven't earned the right, and they're being disrespectful to those who have.
I think it's just clothes unless it's worn to regulation. As I said before, I think rank and other insignia should be removed, but if someone wants to wear BDUs around, that's on them.
It's like all those black-beret-wearing, clove-cigarette-smoking angsty teens moping around in Soviet Army winter overcoats with US Army stripes sewn on upside-down. Oh please. Yes, your life is tragic. Lose your house while you're sick and out of work, have your car break down and your wife leave, and then tell me how awful it is that some band you like broke up and your dad wants you to cut your hair and get a job. Puh-leeze.

LOL!
:) I get it. You don't like teenagers. Well, why didn't you just say so in the beginning! :)

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would submit that neither the soccer uniform nor the baseball uniform, not to mention standard golfing "outfits" would draw as much attention because of the standard public image of "kuhrotty."

Would you be likely to see someone in full football jersey with pads waiting for the bus? I would think that such would get a similar amount of attention as a full karategi as it is less common to see.

Perhaps not.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to avoid the military clothing discussion, but the baseball uniform thing made me think of something:
I work in a children's library and on weekends I often see little kids come in after practices or classes in various uniforms: martial arts, baseball, soccer, ballet, etc. No one thinks twice about it because they're just little kids. But as has been mentioned, people think adults in martial arts uniforms are, at the very least, silly. What about adults in other "sports" uniforms, like baseball or soccer?
Would the 45 year old waiting for the bus be ridiculed for wearing a jersey, shorts, shinguards, cleats, etc., carrying a soccer ball?
I don't think so. When I played soccer I had no qualms about stopping for gas or running into the grocery store in full uniform, whereas I've already mentioned I won't do either of those things after karate without taking off the jacket and belt.
I'm just curious now as to why that is. I guess because a soccer or baseball uniform is less likely to draw attention as they're more commonly seen?

Yeah, good point. A bunch of guys in baseball uniforms who stop by the local fast-food joint on the way back from a game aren't going to attract attention, but if they were a bunch of karateka on the way back from a match in full gi, they would. You likewise would not expect to see high school wrestlers in singlet in the local grocery store or cheerleaders with pom-pons in church, etc. Perhaps it is because of the presumption that 'sports' (if I can call it that) such as MA, wrestling, etc, are assumed to have a changing area, whereas baseball diamonds on public parks generally don't. You would not expect to see a professional baseball player wandering around town fully togged out down to the cleats, but you could easily expect to see a member of a company baseball team in uniform off the field.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rarely, I'll grant that it's pretty clear. In most cases, I would disagree. You can't tell. Vets come in all shapes and sizes. Many are upstanding and many others are despicable. About the only reliable gauge would be teens wearing camo.

I think I can tell. Just something about a veteran.

I think it's just clothes unless it's worn to regulation. As I said before, I think rank and other insignia should be removed, but if someone wants to wear BDUs around, that's on them.:)

Well, when I was in the Corps, there was an iron-on EGA on most articles of uniform clothing worn above the waist, so there would be no way to wear it sans such insignia.

Let me put it this way - as a Marine recruit, I was not permitted to wear the EGA. It was something I had to earn. And earn it I did. I do not like to see non-Marines wearing it. And by extension, I guess, I just don't like to see non-veterans wearing camo. Unless someone is hunting in the woods, camo is just saying 'hey look, I served' when they didn't.

I get it. You don't like teenagers. Well, why didn't you just say so in the beginning! :)

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear in future. But really, it's not just teenagers. I tend to think their brains don't grow in until age 30 or so. For some, never.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We just know.

Do I think being a veteran makes me special? Yep, sure do. You, me, and all the veterans who served their country honorably. We did something damned few can do, fewer still are willing to do. Peacetime or wartime, we paid a price and parts of us changed forever. We did something to be proud of. And yes, we're a breed apart.
I'm a vet and while I generally think you're a rational guy with whom I often agree, in this I think you're full of crap. Not about being proud of what you've done. I'm proud to have served my country, too, and I completely understand where you're coming from.

Of course, I'm a pretty laid back guy in person and people are often surprised to find out that I'm a vet. I guess I don't look like a vet.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
reminds me of the security guard at the skateboard park would wear his badge on his t-shirt in school i think he is asking for it i know sometimes your forced to wear the gi for whatever circumstance but leave the belt off otherwise someone might want to see if they can beat the black belt if people asked me what belt i was and i did not know them i would say yellow belt not many peopl want to prove themselves against a beginner [was high brown at the time]

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I spent 10 years active and 10 years in the reserves.. I started back in the day of the all green fatigues and changed into the "BDU's" (post Vietnam camos). When I got out of active duty I only wore the camos to drills or when recalled to active duty... I had, and have no desire to wear them now.

If I start hunting with my Step Son I may start wearing camos again while hunting, but else wise, I can think of more comfortable clothing to wear and that is more fashionable.

I'm not sure why people wear military camos if they aren't in the services, and required to, I don't think they look all that good, but as long as they don't have service medals, unit patches, rank, and branch on them, to each their own.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent 10 years active and 10 years in the reserves.. I started back in the day of the all green fatigues and changed into the "BDU's" (post Vietnam camos). When I got out of active duty I only wore the camos to drills or when recalled to active duty... I had, and have no desire to wear them now.

If I start hunting with my Step Son I may start wearing camos again while hunting, but else wise, I can think of more comfortable clothing to wear and that is more fashionable.

I'm not sure why people wear military camos if they aren't in the services, and required to, I don't think they look all that good, but as long as they don't have service medals, unit patches, rank, and branch on them, to each their own.

Here ex military gear like camo trousers are cheap and very hard wearing, good work gear. I loved my RAF greatcoat, it was lovely and warm as well as being rainproof so it's no wonder that civvies who need a cheap coat go for ex military stock. A lot of ex military gear here is warm and functional so popular buys with all sorts of people.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally, I like to change for an activity, especially if it requires specific clothing. Some uniforms like a team t-shirt for a softball league, that sort of thing, sure. I'll even go straight to the gym in sweats... sometimes. But I'd at least where sweats over a swimsuit, and I don't drive around in a bike helmet if I'm going somewhere to ride.

But something that takes some fairly specific, and unusual clothes? Why not put 'em on when you get there? Especially if it's something like cleats that might damage someone's floors or carpets? Martial arts uniforms just attract attention; why wander around in 'em?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
But something that takes some fairly specific, and unusual clothes? Why not put 'em on when you get there? Especially if it's something like cleats that might damage someone's floors or carpets? Martial arts uniforms just attract attention; why wander around in 'em?

Exactly!

Is it illegal to wear one's martial arts uniform and belt in public-no.

Is is immoral to wear one's martial arts uniform and belt in public-again no.

Is it gauche? Yes!

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
going to and from class wearing a uniform or part of isn't so bad. most people don't care what you wear anyways, but showing off or striking a pose in public to let others watch you in uniform... rather tacky.

I used to be shy when wearing our school shirt, when i walked to my sifu's house. but i realized no one really cared or even knew what the shirt said, and they didn't care about a sash being worn or carried. heck even the kung fu top didn't bring me any looks. later i had learned from a friend of mine who saw me wearing the class shirt in public (it had chinese characters), she wanted to know which Chinese restaurant i was working in so she could drop by.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also on MAJOR difference between wearing a gi in public vs. wearing a baseball outfit has to do with the implications: Gi :: you study MA and thus can fight. Baseball uniform :: You play a sport that has nothing to do with fighting. *******s who want nothing more then to pick a fight or "prove" themselves to their dumb-*** friends will pick the fight with the folks in the Gi, and will probably not with the folks in the baseball uni. In fact, their probably more apt to ask where the game is!

Latest Discussions