Wearing your gi and belt in public

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can think of more comfortable clothing to wear and that is more fashionable.

I'm not sure why people wear military camos if they aren't in the services, and required to, I don't think they look all that good

They may not be fashionable, but I have always found the pants to be extremely comfortable.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Walking around in public in a gi? Seems reasonable enough to me.

Isn't that typical training for everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have seen this time and again but have and will never say anything. Every system is different and I do not believe it is my place to "counsel" folks from other arts, especially dan ranks.

Good point! That's why I'd never stop my car and talk to the guy and ask him what the deal is :jediduel:
Stepping back and looking at the situation though shows you how strong you feel in your own beliefs and better solidifies what you've learned.

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dunno, go ask him and let us know what he says. I would be truly interested in his answer.

hmmm... well, it could go one of two ways. Might be kind of akward but maybe I will. I'll have to think on that. :)

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's like all those black-beret-wearing, clove-cigarette-smoking angsty teens moping around in Soviet Army winter overcoats with US Army stripes sewn on upside-down. Oh please. Yes, your life is tragic. Lose your house while you're sick and out of work, have your car break down and your wife leave, and then tell me how awful it is that some band you like broke up and your dad wants you to cut your hair and get a job. Puh-leeze.

:rofl: THAT's hilarious!

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm all for handing out the razor blades if their life is so "hard."

Somewhat back on track. In biker circles, you see alot of military gear on vets and a bit on non-military folks. I have found that those who weren't military but are wearing the uniform stuff 1) look out of place, not anything specific, just not right and 2) are often apologetic about it when they see my vest.

So to redirect into another related discussion, what do you (being the Martialtalk audience) think about folks who mix martial arts and military uniforms? The fellow that comes to mind immediately for me - his name escapes me - is a former marine who teaches okinawan karate in a white karategi and jumpboots. I've seen him in Black Belt Magazine several times. I'm sure other folks do it too...

There's a guy around my neck of the woods that teaches his classes in full camo with no karate gi or belt. I saw an article about the guy but never met him.

OP
seninoniwashi

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Would the 45 year old waiting for the bus be ridiculed for wearing a jersey, shorts, shinguards, cleats, etc., carrying a soccer ball?
I don't think so. When I played soccer I had no qualms about stopping for gas or running into the grocery store in full uniform, whereas I've already mentioned I won't do either of those things after karate without taking off the jacket and belt.
I'm just curious now as to why that is. I guess because a soccer or baseball uniform is less likely to draw attention as they're more commonly seen?

To me there's a certain level of respect and honor that's affiliated with the wearing of a belt. The concept of the belt has an origin that should be respected humbly - to me it's a little different then a baseball cap or a jersey. With kids it's not a big deal because they're kids - an adult, a black belt at that should and is to lead by example.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a carry over from the 60s vintage. This was back when everyone was Mr, Mrs, or Miss. You would bow coming and going to the DoJo, and always, to higher belts. There were no rules hanging on the wall for DoJo behavior, they were understood from day one. If you were out of line in the DoJo it was dealt with in real time. After all you were learning an art of self defense, and this required a high measure of respect for yourself, your follow students, the Sensei, the DoJo, and last but not least your Gi and belt. When you walked into the locker room there were no gi's or belts laying around, this was part of the respect thing that was being conveyed. Outside of the DoJo you were expected to conduct yourself in such a way as to not draw attention to yourself, this was a big part of self defense training, making Martial Arts a maturing time for all. Back then there was a hugh amount of respect for the arts, so to wear your gi out of the DoJo could be seen as showing off, let alone, it just wasn't done, for all the above reasons. In this day and age to wear gi and belt outside of the DoJo would draw undo attention and maybe get yourself into situations that would not be favorable. As a serious Martial Arts practitioner, I would think that the above would make all the sense in the world. Maybe it is antiquated thinking on my part, but this is what I feel and think, and also teach everyone to adhere to. :asian:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am ALWAYS in my uniform.

Lets people know I am serious about my karate.

Also, I'm always wearing a mouthpiece. Karate man needs to always be ready for trouble: don't want to be caught unprepared. Makes eating and drinking a bit tougher, but the life of a martial artists isn't an easy one.

Ok, not really. I'd feel as comfortable outside the dojang in my dobok as I would going to Red Lobster in my swimming trunks, flip flops and no shirt, i.e. it is inappropriate attire for anyplace other than inside the dojang, IMO.

Surprised any adult black belt wouldn't feel the same way.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train with my 9 year old son. Our dojang is a five minute drive from the house. We put our full uniform on at home, drive to class, park the car right outside the dojang, and go on. After class, I always take my top and belt off, leaving a t-shirt on. He stays in his uniform. We then go home. Upon occasion we will stop at the store, or to pick up take out, or something like that.

We have gotten the occasional question about what we take, what school, if we like it etc. Of course a middle aged man and a school aged child is pretty different from a 20-something standing on a street corner.

Rick
I do the same.

Due to the sometimes crazy traffic and hectic time period between coming home and going to class with my kids (18 and 16), not to mention the changing rooms being occupied by the outgoing class when we arrive, I pretty much always put my dobok on, belt and all, before I leave the house. If there is time to stop off for something along the way at 7/11, I do not have any concern about going in and picking up the Gatorade, Powerade, or whatever. I arrive at class and go directly onto the mat, on time for class. It is strictly a time management thing. Being an owner of a car, there is no issue of waiting for the bus.

Like yourself, we have gotten questions about where we train while waiting in line. One of the 7/11 cashiers now trains at our school and is a very dedicated student. Chalk one up for the dobok. He would never have asked otherwise.

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course if someone is waiting at a bus stop in uniform, belt etc and it worries you, do the kind thing and offer him a lift.

diynevala

White Belt
Reaction score
hmmm... well, it could go one of two ways. Might be kind of akward but maybe I will. I'll have to think on that. :)
I stumbled upon this old thread, and I found it so absolutely fascinating I just had to register to reply. I think this conversation has so many things wrong, and in so many levels:
  • Most of this is U.S. specific? We are talking about baseball, football, and martial arts in a context where the two former are respectable sports and the latter has more of a fighting image than a sport? I am Finnish by the way, served a year in the army as most finnish men do, and I do not wear camo.
  • People should not be judged by what they wear. I does not hurt anyone if you have a gi on. The gi is not the problem, it is the small percentage of people who have some strange problems with what other people wear. Normal people do not have a problem with gi, most people just mind their own business, and almost no-one has an obsessions about challenging martial artists. I would love it if people could wear what they want (as long as they are not offensive toward anyone). Some public awareness could even spread with gi-wearing students on public places.
  • My judogi travels in my backpack, from practice straight to washing machine, then to dry, and then folded neatly to the backpack again for the next practice. It is perfectly clean every time I enter the dojo, and I wish everybody else's were too. I just recently spent 5 days on a judo camp, where I had to wear the same judogi on several training sessions, but even there I made sure the judogi got DRY in between the training sessions. As stated years ago, the gi will get dirty on the way, so this is a good reason not to travel with the gi on.
  • While I strongly dislike any camo-patterns worn in non-official situations, I DO wear BLACK outfits, made in military-style specifications. I do not condone war, but I do admire some of the practical gear and wear that are available on army surplus stores.
So my final verdict is "you can wear the gi on your way to the dojo, if you plan to exercise by yourself - otherwise come back when you have washed the streets off your gi."

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I travel from work to dojo, my gi is in my dojo bag.

On days I travel from home to dojo, I wear my gi pants and a tshirt with my gi top and obi in my dojo bag.

In both cases, I wear my gi pants home.

But I am in my truck. Unless I stop for gas, no one sees.

Whether anyone cares that I wear my gi pants is their problem and not mine.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I walk to my dojo, I am wearing my gi pants, and a MA t-shirt, as its requested that we wear one underneath, since sometimes we do no gi-top classes. Sometimes when it is cold I wear a heavy gi and leave that on during the walk as well, to stay warm. Never wear my belt. Been doing this since I was in my early teens (currently 22) both where I currently live and to the place I went to in college. I've never once heard someone complain about it, and if I did I wouldn't particularly care.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard too many stories of beginners, usually kids, wearing their complete outfits on the way to a class... then being diverted by something their parents had to do... and getting into fights with other kids.

Adults... it just seems embarrassing to be in full kit, but I get it when some dojos don't have a locker room or place to change. Just don't wear the belt. Any color belt, there's always a way for some idiot to take into his/her head that the belt represents a challenge.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard too many stories of beginners, usually kids, wearing their complete outfits on the way to a class... then being diverted by something their parents had to do... and getting into fights with other kids.

I've heard those stories too. But it's always a friend of a cousin who knew a guy whose neighbor say this kid who said he went to school with this guy...

I don't place a lot of stock those stories. Most especially when they are with their parents, as you describe.

Adults... it just seems embarrassing to be in full kit, but I get it when some dojos don't have a locker room or place to change. Just don't wear the belt. Any color belt, there's always a way for some idiot to take into his/her head that the belt represents a challenge.

I generally change at the dojang, but not always. Now admitedly, I'm not going bar hoping in my dobak, but I've stopped by the local WallyWorld on the way home and seen students in their dobak (adults and kids) shopping. No hassles. I've also seen, quite literally, thousands of assault victims in 30+ years in the ER. I cannot think of any, off hand, that were assaulted because they were wearing a MA uniform. I can actually only think of one patient I ever saw who came in wearing a Gi. And he was a homeless guy who found one of those star-spangled 1980's atrocities at the Goodwill. Now, we could assume that this means the person in the uniform always wins, but that seems unlikely. Especially since I can't think of anybody ever telling me 'I talked crap to this guy in a gi and he kicked me into the next county.'

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. I dont have the space or time to change their, so it is much easier to throw on the top and put on the belt when I get their then try to change. I will also occasionally go get food afterwards, or do some shopping if I have the car, still in my MA t-shirt and gi pants. Still haven't gotten into any fights because of it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting to come across this old thread again. Just last week I dropped into the neighborhood supermarket for a few things on my way home from teaching the evening class. I was still in my training clothes: black gym shorts and our school T-shirt. Being TCMA we have no belts. Yeah maybe I felt a little dorky, but the shirt was pretty faded and my outfit really just looked like ordinary workout clothes. Heck, it was ordinary workout clothes. Besides, as many of you already know, I have no shame and I did need bread and milk. ....And toilet paper. Now that's important! ;)

So anyway, there I was, waiting at the checkout when I noticed another middle aged man standing in line behind me in a bright red gi, with a gold embroidered black belt, complete with a bunch a bunch of gold bars on the ends, like you know a 6th level master or something. A nice, really new looking embroidered belt too!

Honestly I did a double-take. Make that triple-take. And then I really wanted to say something. You guys know what a hard time I have keeping my mouth shut. I really, really wanted to say something, like maybe... What, no changing rooms at your dojo either? ....Or, Wasn't Comic-con last month? ...Or better yet, Hey aren't you Master Ken? Can I have your autograph? :p

But as I eyed this guy in his shiny new Karate Master costume, I felt a little sorry for him. Not much chance that he was any kind of martial artist. Just some old LARPER trying to live out his fantasies. Definitely not someone I cared to start a conversation with. Especially since the martial arts are one of the few things I actually take seriously.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting to come across this old thread again. Just last week I dropped into the neighborhood supermarket for a few things on my way home from teaching the evening class. I was still in my training clothes: black gym shorts and our school T-shirt. Being TCMA we have no belts. Yeah maybe I felt a little dorky, but the shirt was pretty faded and my outfit really just looked like ordinary workout clothes. Heck, it was ordinary workout clothes. Besides, as many of you already know, I have no shame and I did need bread and milk. ....And toilet paper. Now that's important! ;)

So anyway, there I was, waiting at the checkout when I noticed another middle aged man standing in line behind me in a bright red gi, with a gold embroidered black belt, complete with a bunch a bunch of gold bars on the ends, like you know a 6th level master or something. A nice, really new looking embroidered belt too!

Honestly I did a double-take. Make that triple-take. And then I really wanted to say something. You guys know what a hard time I have keeping my mouth shut. I really, really wanted to say something, like maybe... What, no changing rooms at your dojo either? ....Or, Wasn't Comic-con last month? ...Or better yet, Hey aren't you Master Ken? Can I have your autograph? :p

But as I eyed this guy in his shiny new Karate Master costume, I felt a little sorry for him. Not much chance that he was any kind of martial artist. Just some old LARPER trying to live out his fantasies. Definitely not someone I cared to start a conversation with. Especially since the martial arts are one of the few things I actually take seriously.
Are you entirely certain it wasn't Master Ken? I would hate to imagine you missing out on the chance to meet him because you assumed he was some LARPER.

Latest Discussions