Wearing your gi and belt in public

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting to come across this old thread again. Just last week I dropped into the neighborhood supermarket for a few things on my way home from teaching the evening class. I was still in my training clothes: black gym shorts and our school T-shirt. Being TCMA we have no belts. Yeah maybe I felt a little dorky, but the shirt was pretty faded and my outfit really just looked like ordinary workout clothes. Heck, it was ordinary workout clothes. Besides, as many of you already know, I have no shame and I did need bread and milk. ....And toilet paper. Now that's important! ;)

So anyway, there I was, waiting at the checkout when I noticed another middle aged man standing in line behind me in a bright red gi, with a gold embroidered black belt, complete with a bunch a bunch of gold bars on the ends, like you know a 6th level master or something. A nice, really new looking embroidered belt too!

Honestly I did a double-take. Make that triple-take. And then I really wanted to say something. You guys know what a hard time I have keeping my mouth shut. I really, really wanted to say something, like maybe... What, no changing rooms at your dojo either? ....Or, Wasn't Comic-con last month? ...Or better yet, Hey aren't you Master Ken? Can I have your autograph? :p

But as I eyed this guy in his shiny new Karate Master costume, I felt a little sorry for him. Not much chance that he was any kind of martial artist. Just some old LARPER trying to live out his fantasies. Definitely not someone I cared to start a conversation with. Especially since the martial arts are one of the few things I actually take seriously.
And you didn't challenge him to a fight? :D

diynevala

White Belt
Reaction score
And then I really wanted to say something. You guys know what a hard time I have keeping my mouth shut. I really, really wanted to say something

Good for you, not acting like an a-hole this time - that really shows you have some discipline.....

But really, isn't that just a step away from actually saying something offensive? Maybe two steps from kicking his butt for being different? Maybe he did have a good reason to wear that outfit, maybe being a hero for the kids or something. And even if he didn't, it is none your business, right?

I do agree with most comments here on the "do not draw unwanted attention by wearing your gi in public" as there is a chance you run into problems with bullies or otherwise mentally unstable people. Take one hundred people, one wearing a gi. Maybe 60 of them just ignore the gi, 30 might say "oh he's gonna get into trouble wearing that", 8 think he looks nice, weird, cool or awkward, and finally ONE thinks it is an invitation to fight. The root of the problem is not the gi, but the one reacting on it.

The feminist movement has the same idea about women showing a lot of cleavage - they are not asking to get raped. While people should be free to wear whatever they want, some choices are just bad considering there are these bad apples among us. And this is ultimately just sad.

All that, and the possible dog ****, piss, vomit and just plain dirt - all good reasons to not wear the gi outside the dojo.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a great way to display that one has wasted one's time, effort and money reaching black belt only to be completely oblivious to the massive self-defence failure this represents.

It also makes one a bit of a prat from a martial philosophy perspective.

And I thought people who 'accidentally' leave a little bit of their black belt poking out of their bag every time were bad.

There is just no excuse for not changing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear my MA uniform driving to class and never thought anything of it, although it's a lot less conspicuous than a Gi (blue tracker-type pants and a blue shirt). That said, at the sports centre I work at they do kids Taekwondo classes, and the instructor always comes into the centre wearing his Gi and belt, as do most of the kids.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Um is it illegal to do it? No
Does it hurt anyone? No

So who the hell cares if he does or not if he wants to good for him I won't lose any sleep over it.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Um is it illegal to do it? No
Does it hurt anyone? No

So who the hell cares if he does or not if he wants to good for him I won't lose any sleep over it.

No, but like others have said, it can attract unwanted attention from thugs looking for a fight. It's a bit like teenage girls who go out at night in tank tops and hot pants. They are also not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal but they are asking for trouble from people who see them as an easy target.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but like others have said, it can attract unwanted attention from thugs looking for a fight. It's a bit like teenage girls who go out at night in tank tops and hot pants. They are also not hurting anyone or doing anything illegal but they are asking for trouble from people who see them as an easy target.
So what it's their choice it doesn't affect you or me. So why does anyone care what the guy wears seriously some people seem to think everything's their business and are so judgemental. If the guy wants to wear a bright purple gi with the words I AM A BLACK BELT COME HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE TOUGH ENOUGH on the back then I still don't care if the guy wants to do it he can do it. If he gets attacked for it then he'll have to deal with the consequences not us.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So what it's their choice it doesn't affect you or me. So why does anyone care what the guy wears seriously some people seem to think everything's their business and are so judgemental. If the guy wants to wear a bright purple gi with the words I AM A BLACK BELT COME HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE TOUGH ENOUGH on the back then I still don't care if the guy wants to do it he can do it. If he gets attacked for it then he'll have to deal with the consequences not us.

Do you need to have some deep seated connection with something in order to have a discussion on it? I was merely stating that the reason why you might not want to wear your Gi in public is because it may attract unwanted attention from thugs looking for a fight. I personally have nothing against people who wear their Gi in public, but just like the teenage girls wearing tank tops and hot pants, they do so at their own risk. Hell, I come from Brighton in the UK and see weirder things on a daily basis than someone wearing a Gi.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you need to have some deep seated connection with something in order to have a discussion on it? I was merely stating that the reason why you might not want to wear your Gi in public is because it may attract unwanted attention from thugs looking for a fight. I personally have nothing against people who wear their Gi in public, but just like the teenage girls wearing tank tops and hot pants, they do so at their own risk. Hell, I come from Brighton in the UK and see weirder things on a daily basis than someone wearing a Gi.
I'm not saying just about you I've read these comments and some people are being really rude about the guy and seem to be getting a bit to upset. At the end of the day who cares what he wears

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised at some of the reactions I'm reading. A little holier-than-thou IMHO.

So you know the difference between a real martial artist and a wannabe based on the way he or she is dressed. Interesting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he gets attacked for it then he'll have to deal with the consequences not us.

Well, maybe you don't have to deal with the consequences but those on here who are police officers are likely to aren't they? As well as those that work in A&Es.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, maybe you don't have to deal with the consequences but those on here who are police officers are likely to aren't they? As well as those that work in A&Es.
Blame the people who attack him

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Good for you, not acting like an a-hole this time - that really shows you have some discipline.....

But really, isn't that just a step away from actually saying something offensive? Maybe two steps from kicking his butt for being different? Maybe he did have a good reason to wear that outfit, maybe being a hero for the kids or something. And even if he didn't, it is none your business, right?

I do agree with most comments here on the "do not draw unwanted attention by wearing your gi in public" as there is a chance you run into problems with bullies or otherwise mentally unstable people. Take one hundred people, one wearing a gi. Maybe 60 of them just ignore the gi, 30 might say "oh he's gonna get into trouble wearing that", 8 think he looks nice, weird, cool or awkward, and finally ONE thinks it is an invitation to fight. The root of the problem is not the gi, but the one reacting on it.

The feminist movement has the same idea about women showing a lot of cleavage - they are not asking to get raped. While people should be free to wear whatever they want, some choices are just bad considering there are these bad apples among us. And this is ultimately just sad.

All that, and the possible dog ****, piss, vomit and just plain dirt - all good reasons to not wear the gi outside the dojo.
I think it's a pretty big step away from saying something and in a different arena entirely from starting a fight.

Out of 100 people looking at a guy in wearing a martial arts uniform at the store, I'd say it's more like 99 think it's incredibly nerdy, 1 guy thinks it's really cool, and 100 people forget about it almost instantly once the person is out of sight, unless it comes up in a thread like this. Let's be real. This thug scenario sounds like a scene from Rumble in the Bronx.
I'm a bit surprised at some of the reactions I'm reading. A little holier-than-thou IMHO.

So you know the difference between a real martial artist and a wannabe based on the way he or she is dressed. Interesting.
Come on, Bill. Aren't you the guy who said this?
Whether anyone cares that I wear my gi pants is their problem and not mine.
glass houses, man.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blame the people who attack him

Sigh. It's not a matter of 'blame' it's a matter of sorting out the victim, finding witnesses, taking statements, locating those responsible etc etc etc.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sigh. It's not a matter of 'blame' it's a matter of sorting out the victim, finding witnesses, taking statements, locating those responsible etc etc etc.
Yeah well that's their job to do that they get paid their money for that. Fact is a guy should be able to wear what he wants if he can't without getting attacked that shows a problem with the other people not him

Jujutsuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This actually happened a few times to me when I was younger. But it was only because I was on my way to taekwondo class. I had already put my dogi on when I left the house, so I figured I would be dressed before class started. I haven't done it much as an adult though, mainly because I'm worried that I might start a fight with someone. (You never know if some guy will come up to you and say: "You think you're tough 'cause you know karate? I'll beat you down.")

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on, Bill. Aren't you the guy who said this?
glass houses, man.

I guess I'm not clear on how one relates to the other.

But if the point is to call out people who wear martial arts clothing outside the dojo, then I'm done with this thread. Ya'all have a nice day.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry if my earlier post offended anybody. Although it was a true story, I was just telling it for a bit of humor. I guess some of you didn't see it that way. :oops:

Incidentally when I take my son to his TKD class, all the students arrive in their gi pants since the school has no private changing area and has just one cramped restroom. Often before or after class my son and I will stop in for a bite at the sandwich counter at the supermarket next door to the studio and naturally my son is wearing his gi pants and T-shirt with the school logo. Usually his belt too (in spite of my advising him against it --as a matter of ettiquette). There are often several other young students there with their parents, and the little ones are always all dressed up in full gi/dobok. It's really kinda cute.

Sometimes the head instructor, "Master Nick" comes in for a bite as well, typically in his gi pants and School T. Never remember seeing him in his black belt, though I can't be sure. Regardless, he brings a lot of business into the store and everyone there knows him by his first name. It's a totally normal situation. :)

The situation I described in my previous post was different. It was at a different supermarket, ...not next to a school, pretty late in the evening and the guy in the bright red gi and shiny new embroidered black belt with its gold lettering and all those rank bars just seemed so out of place ...and frankly a little odd. Otherwise I certainly would have started a conversation. I'm a pretty extroverted guy. And I know a lot of people with high ranks in various martial arts. But this guy didn't seem quite right. So I just bought my groceries and toilet paper and quietly went home.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah well that's their job to do that they get paid their money for that. Fact is a guy should be able to wear what he wants if he can't without getting attacked that shows a problem with the other people not him

You've missed the point, 'they' (we) may get paid to look after all sorts of idiots and sort out their problems but really, personal responsibility goes a long way, and you should remember who is paying for the police...you and they may be dealing with an idiots when you need them to be dealing with you.

I don't care whether people wear their training clothes outside or not, it was just silly to suggest that when incidents happen only the 'victim' is the one who has to sort things out.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a number of issues with kids and adults wearing their training clothes outside of the training hall.

They represent the school, as does their behaviour.

If they are going home, they are sweaty. Gross, and linked to the above. It's also very cold in winter with wet clothes.

Most places have a changing area, and those that don't, it's easy to pull on a tracksuit over a MA uniform.

As much as I would enjoy the free advertising, it's just not good etiquette or self defence.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk