Uniform curiousity

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am actually suprised to hear he was wearing a v-neck. My experience is a lot of the older generation wear the cross over style as that is what they grew up in the arts wearing and seeing. I guess being "traditional" just depends on how far back you want to go. This is not at all meant to sound disrespectful, just an observation from another traditionalist.

I have also always understood that the v-necks were only designed so that Korean arts would look different than Japanese arts. Any ever hear anything different (or the same)?

Actually, I have pictures of him from the 70's wearing the white V-neck, before he was even 7th Dan. There is a photo of him from his team days in the 60's wearing the wraparound, but I suspect he changed as soon as the V-neck was available.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger Claw makes a uniform for practioneers and Instructors of Combat Hapkido...However we are not sticklers for it.. A plain black gi with the ICHF patch sewn on will suffice...

kabute

White Belt
Reaction score
This one from DaeDo:

TA1033G.jpg

Everybody in my school uses this model.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With my first degree black belt, I was presented with a brand new uniform. It is a black Dynamics vee with the school logo on the back and the US and Korean flags on the right and left side of the vee respectively.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That makes me a little envious! You are given a new uniform?! (then again I guess you do have to fork a good amount of money over, too....)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a tkd guy, but my students wear all black crossovers with one school patch on the chest. The girls wear black v-necks if they choose (which all of them are loving).
KWON sells black v-necks with none of those little tkd patches in the center.
There is an optional "Girl Power" kicker logo patch for the young ladies, which all of them beg for.

AoG

Baby_Huey

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you use vnecks or layovers? layovers
Color of uniforms? White
Black belt trim? only when you become a black belt
Association patches? We have the school name and logo on the back (Jung's Tae Kwon Do) School patch and the American and Korean Flags on the arms.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
White-collar Vnecks for coloured belts, Poom-collar Vnecks for poom belts, Black-collar Vnecks for black belts, with Singapore Taekwondo Federation printed on the back, and Singapore Taekwondo Federation patch on left upperarm.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hermit, another name that looks familiar from a certain space of TKD. Are you the same? If so, very good to see you here!

Daniel

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
white cross overs..

you can either wear them blank, or with korea/american flags on each breast. instructor has black trim around the jacket and pants. we also have a school patch that can go on the arm.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was curious to see what uniforms your schools use.
Ok here you go:

Do you use vnecks or layovers? V necks, but during the summer dobok t-shirts are allowed for tops.

Color of uniforms? White doboks only for the gup belt holders, black doboks for 1st dans and above.

Black belt trim? We have our name, rank and club/dojang name.

Association patches? Yep, our dojang's and the WTF patch.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am pleased to see that everyone is wearing a uniform, other wise it maybe a little embrasing.
icon10.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am pleased to see that everyone is wearing a uniform, other wise it maybe a little embrasing.
icon10.gif

Yeah, that "Freedom School" school next to the nude beach never really took off. I liked their slogan though...."No contracts, no association fees, no uniforms, no nothin'!"

Not sure why it didn't last?:ultracool

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys might want to copyright that before someone sees it and rips you guys off....I am wanting to open a dojang in the future, you know....

Zendokan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo
-----------
From 10th kup to 2nd kup,
students wear a white karate uniform with layover or the wtf-adidas competition dobok, with white neck, and on the back in black taekwondo and in red hangul writing of taekwondo. And we're technically ITF, but these doboks are the most beautiful, easiest to find in the shops and because of that also the cheapest.
From 1st kup to all dan grades,
the wtf-adidas competition dobok, with black neck

Hapkido
-------
From 10th kup to 2nd kup,
students wear a white jujutsu uniform with layover, or the black hapido uniform with layover and Hapkido spelled on the back in red letters.
From 1st kup to all dan grades,
The hapkido dobok, black trousers, white top with on the back the style of hapkido and the double headed dragon sign.

Latest Discussions