Uniform curiousity

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was curious to see what uniforms your schools use.
Do you use vnecks or layovers?
Color of uniforms?
Black belt trim?
Association patches?

We use traditional layover tops.
We have white uniforms and black belt trim for black belts.
We also have chung do kwan uniforms for the black belts (white vneck top, black pants)
We have patches for black belt training, leadership, chung do kwan patch, and instructor patches.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we use layover tops (karatestyle)

rank stripes on the pants 3rd BB onward, Collar is for ranks of instructors...or bottom of the jacket for BB students...

School patch, Organization patch, patch on the back plus name...

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The uniform at our school consists these days of shorts and a t-shirt. With fall & winter approaching it will probably turn to sweatpants and t-shirt before long.

For competition, my daughter has favored her Vision Revolution uniforms for the past couple of years. http://www.mykick.com/?view=product&grcd=01003

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
White Karate style (wraparound type thing) for regular members. Red V neck uniform for Hwa Rang Do members (kids club with more emphasis on sparring). Blue V neck uniform for black belt club members. BB's wear a white V neck with black trim. Instructors wear white trousers and a red wraparound top. Anybody above 4th Dan wears a black V neck top and white trousers.

Some of our classes look like we had an explosion in a paint factory.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my students wear black layover style uniforms after i say they can.

Till then they wear shorts, sweats, whatever.

Whites not allowed till brown belt level.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
White pants at every class for every student. School tshirts during the hot months (May-Sept) and white tops the rest of the time. You can wear whatever you wish in terms of style (v necked doboks or traditional gis), as long as it is white. BB instructors can wear whatever they please; sweatpants and tshirts or full dobaks. (This is a non commercial school run entirely by volunteers). The BBs all wear full gis or dobaks at tests, but that's pretty much it. The instructors who wear gis wear them all the time, same for the ones that wear sweatpants :lol: I wear a 12 oz. Japanese tournament cut gi, because I got tired of rolling up my sleeves and I like the pants to end about 6" above my ankles :D 99% of the students wear Pro Force lightweight Japanese style gis though, as those are what the school has in stock for students to buy.
As far as the 'explosion of color', we get a bit of that as well, as the color of the tshirts we order for the students changes every year. So you might see red, blue, black, tan, all sorts of colors during the summer months. The white belts all have the same color shirts, but the older students have a few to choose from if they wish :D All have the same graphics on them though, only the colors change year to year.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my students wear black layover style uniforms after i say they can.

Till then they wear shorts, sweats, whatever.

Whites not allowed till brown belt level.

I have heard of lots of schools who have white uniforms first and then at a higher rank are allowed to wear black. I don't hear about the opposite happening very often. What is the reason you do it this way?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All students start with a basic white v-neck uniform (that is the one we give away free). At some point most it not all students buy the "upgrade" uniform... a higher quality one with a black color. A brown belt a student can wear black pants. At black belt a student can wear all black, but most wear either a white uniform or a black top with white pants or vice versa.
Everyone also has the American flag on the right arm and Korean on the left, and WTF patch on the chest. Also the school logo on the back of the uniform.

Hapkido students wear a white gi with black trim with the KHF patch on the arm. It also says hapkido in chinese on the left chest and in Korean on the back.

KickingAngel16

White Belt
Reaction score
We have the v-necks. There is a black trim for the black belts. No patches. The uniforms are white and the instructors wear the black bottoms with the blue top.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I do wear a dress dobok for testings, & when I go to a sister school, I don't usually wear one.

I prefer to wear a plain black v-neck with no patches, or stripes at all.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we usually get to wear the pants plus white school shirt, nice when the air conditioner isn't all that great. The other schools in the area work out in full uniform, only in summer they have the annual school shirt, new one each year and only that one is acceptable.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We wear white layover tops, white trousers.

We have the option to wear a korea and american flag patch on each breast, and an organization patch on the arm. black belts get the black trim on the bottom of the jacket. Instructors wear hvyweight gis with black trim around the whole jacket.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everyone also has the American flag on the right arm and Korean on the left, and WTF patch on the chest. Also the school logo on the back of the uniform.

We are the other way round, the Korean flag is on our right arm and the American flag is on the left.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard of lots of schools who have white uniforms first and then at a higher rank are allowed to wear black. I don't hear about the opposite happening very often. What is the reason you do it this way?

laurentkd,
thanks for asking.

In my TKD lineage, everyone started in white uniforms, and at brown belt level, were allowed to wear black.

In my kenpo lineage, it is the opposite.

I went with black first because:

I like to go outside and practice rolls on the grass from time to time. For new students, this would ruin white uniforms.

plus, over time, sweat stains white uniforms yellow, doesnt happen with black

plus, for female students, it prevents worry over certain accidents....

plus, i think it looks cool, and it's my school, i can do whatever i want.

lol

hope those answers help

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
laurentkd,
thanks for asking.

In my TKD lineage, everyone started in white uniforms, and at brown belt level, were allowed to wear black.

In my kenpo lineage, it is the opposite.

I went with black first because:

I like to go outside and practice rolls on the grass from time to time. For new students, this would ruin white uniforms.

plus, over time, sweat stains white uniforms yellow, doesnt happen with black

plus, for female students, it prevents worry over certain accidents....

plus, i think it looks cool, and it's my school, i can do whatever i want.

lol

hope those answers help

That makes perfect sense... especially the last part!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In kendo, we all start with the indigo uniform with the traditional hakama and cross over top. After first dan, the kendoka may wear a white uniform. I also own a modern, lightweight and definitely not traditional uniform that I wear in summer months.

In hapkido, we start with a white dobok that has black cross stitching. Students may wear this style dobok for both taekwondo and hapkido.

In taekwondo, we all start with a white vee-neck dobok that has the school logo on the back. At black belt, a black dobok or a white dobok with the black color is permited.

For the demonstration team, we have a white crossover dobok with four inch red and blue stripes across the chest and a red/white/blue stripe on the collar/opening edges, arms, and legs, which is used for both taekwondo and hapkido.

We get most of our uniforms from Dynamics, though I own a couple of Adidas and Tigerclaw doboks from previous dojangs.

Daniel

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Up until "black belt", white uniforms with appropriate colored belt.
Black belt, black gi.

Association patches were permitted in all but one dojo I studied or taught at.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not only have I only ever worn a white uniform (or WTF v-neck), I'm suspicious of any TKD person who doesn't wear a white uniform. Black trim is acceptable.