Traditional Martial Arts Training Secrets

E

Erkki

Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
I'm not talking about low intensity exercise when referring to horse stance training. I'm talking about the training that makes your legs SCREAM. And, while any intense exercise will release GH, the large muscles of the legs, given sufficient effort, will release more. That's why lifters will say that heavy squats will help their bench, but heavy bench work doesn't do much for their squats.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

Stance work is comparatively low intensity, insofar as the muscles of the legs are concerned. Intensity in muscles is usually defined as the amount of tension generated. This tension is what releases GH. Stance training does not generate a high amount of tension (despite what it feels like), unless you isometrically add it in, which you shouldn't do if you want a snowball's chance in hell of holding the stance for any respectable length of time. What makes the legs SCREAM is lactic acid, which is not always an indication of high intensity. You are correct that many lifters will say that squats (heavy squats) will help their bench (among other lifts). The high release of GH is one reason. Another reason is again attributed to the high amount of tension heavy squats generate. This tension radiates to other muscles in the body, especially the core muscles, making them stronger, which in turn helps stabilize the body and make you stronger for other exercises such as bench, shoulder press, etc. Heavy deadlifts are another exercise that accomplish this same feat.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I just assumed that everyone else used isometric tension in their stance training routine. I stand corrected.:asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by yilisifu
If you punch with one hand, the opposite shoulder will naturally draw back. It's a natural human movement.

The idea that drawing the non-punching fist back to the hip leaves your face exposed to attack is pointless. No matter WHERE you draw it back, you'll be exposed SOMEWHERE. Even if you grab with it, you're open SOMEWHERE. If you punch, you're creating an opening.
What counts is whether or not your punch is successful...Better to put 100% into it than only 80% because you don't want to expose yourself.

You should place your non attacking hand in the best position (which most of us already know how to, I am sure) for parrying/sweeping the probable counter, regardless of the fact that there is no perfect position. Not to be argumentative, but just because you can't defend every inch of your body, does not mean you should just leave yourself completely open and vulnerable.

Of course every time you punch you create an opening, and that is why your other hand is needed to provide as much cover as possible. Granted there are other things you need to pay attention to too. Of course unless Yiliquan has some methods to throw punches that are fool proof where you do not need to be concerned about counter.

But I suppose this is a moot point, as Jill posted that nobody fights like that. Bad habits ingrained at training can come back to haunt you.

P.S. There are situations where your opponent has been "well softened up" , you can withdraw the other hand all the way back rather safely, to generate more torque in deliverying the KO punch.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by yilisifu
If you punch with one hand, the opposite shoulder will naturally draw back. It's a natural human movement.

The idea that drawing the non-punching fist back to the hip leaves your face exposed to attack is pointless. No matter WHERE you draw it back, you'll be exposed SOMEWHERE. Even if you grab with it, you're open SOMEWHERE. If you punch, you're creating an opening.
What counts is whether or not your punch is successful...Better to put 100% into it than only 80% because you don't want to expose yourself.

Yes, it is a human movement but it does not need to be over exagerated. In training there is going to be reasons for doing techniques certain ways, but the way we excectute our techniques when we need them can be diiferant.

If I put 100% into some rapid fire punching on the mitts, I can honestly say that my hands will never retract backward to my hips.

I beleive that we learn ways to develop power, but once the power is achieved, we should be able to use that power without needing the full range of motion.:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
You should place your non attacking hand in the best position (which most of us already know how to, I am sure) for parrying/sweeping the probable counter, regardless of the fact that there is no perfect position. Not to be argumentative, but just because you can't defend every inch of your body, does not mean you should just leave yourself completely open and vulnerable.

Of course every time you punch you create an opening, and that is why your other hand is needed to provide as much cover as possible. Granted there are other things you need to pay attention to too. Of course unless Yiliquan has some methods to throw punches that are fool proof where you do not need to be concerned about counter.

But I suppose this is a moot point, as Jill posted that nobody fights like that. Bad habits ingrained at training can come back to haunt you.

P.S. There are situations where your opponent has been "well softened up" , you can withdraw the other hand all the way back rather safely, to generate more torque in deliverying the KO punch.

That was a good post. In sparring my hands will flow in between a kickboxers hands and a Wing Chun fighters hands using the centerline and the gates.

My feet will vary, based on my flow, but at all times, no matter what my flow is and where my feet are, I try to minimize my openings or weaknesses.:asian:

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
You should place your non attacking hand in the best position ... for parrying/sweeping the probable counter, regardless of the fact that there is no perfect position. Not to be argumentative, but just because you can't defend every inch of your body, does not mean you should just leave yourself completely open and vulnerable.

In Yiliquan, we begin training all techniques at a basic level - strikes are chambered fully, and the non-striking hand is retracted to the hip. As training goes on, the non-striking hand is often retracted to a position along the centerline of the body, roughly in the area of the solar plexus. Later, though it has never lost its importance, the retraction of the non-striking hand is almost nonexistent.

Of course unless Yiliquan has some methods to throw punches that are fool proof where you do not need to be concerned about counter.

Well of course!!! ALL of Yiliquan's techniques are fool proof! :D :lol:

The only real detractors of traditional arts are those who had teachers who actually thought you were meant to fight from a horse riding stance, or that you were to directly oppose an opponent's strike with a rigid block at an unnatural angle, or anything along these lines... They are quick to point out that nobody really fights like that, but the refuse to believe us when we tell them that nobody really fights like that... They are exposing the fraud of traditional arts but we are just making excuses... :rolleyes:

Bad habits come back to haunt you. But the lessons learned, the muscle memory ingrained, from long hours spent punching in a horse riding stance, will come back to help you down the line...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

P.S. There are situations where your opponent has been "well softened up" , you can withdraw the other hand all the way back rather safely, to generate more torque in deliverying the KO punch. [/B][/QUOTE]

M

MartialArtist

I'm not talking about low intensity exercise when referring to horse stance training. I'm talking about the training that makes your legs SCREAM. And, while any intense exercise will release GH, the large muscles of the legs, given sufficient effort, will release more. That's why lifters will say that heavy squats will help their bench, but heavy bench work doesn't do much for their squats.

Randy Strausbaugh
Squats - Number 1 Lift for GH

But remember, the amount of gH released from training isn't significant enough to really do a lot of change.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I like "clean and jerks" better myself.
Ever try them with kettlebells? Strength, cardio, and forearm conditioning in one exercise.;)

Randy Strausbaugh

E

Erkki

Ever try them with kettlebells? Strength, cardio, and forearm conditioning in one exercise.;)

Randy Strausbaugh

Yup. Kettlebells rock!! :D

M

MartialArtist

For gH secretion, the compound movements are the best. However, the squat and the deadlift are the top ones.

The Olympic lifts like the clean and jerk are better for athletes as it's speed strength, not absolute strength. However, one should supplement clean and jerks with snatches, as snatches work more muscles simultaneously in a quicker motion.

W

Withered Soul

If you kick high and as fast as you can in training, you will kick low even faster in combat.

J

J-kid

Well i really dont agree with your methods Yiliquan but what ever floats your boat bro.

:viking1: :viking3: :viking2:

OP
Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are widely varied training methods available to the martial artist. He/she may choose one of literally thousands of available martial styles, follow one of literally millions of teachers (all of whom have their own interpretation of what they teach, as well as their own method of presenting it).

While there are some techniques that are genuinely useless, we are lucky in that most of them have fallen by the wayside over the years. However, that same formula has ensured that certain methods of training have endured. We refer to them as the "traditional" methods, and all martial styles, young and old, modern and ancient, possess them to some degree.

Similarly to modern protestant Christian churches, though they may at times find themselves at odds with the Catholic church, they owe their existence to Mother Church - without the Catholic church, they would never have been born. Likewise, "modern" martial arts owe their existence to "traditional" arts, and most, if not all, of the so-called "modern" methods of training owe their existence to their traditional forebears. The only real addition that modern arts have to provide to the MA world isn't theirs at all; sports science and medicine have provided understanding of the human body that was previously unknown, but this is not the contribution of modern martial arts, but rather modern science.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

J

J-kid

well i believe that chambering your punch is a bad idea because if you train like that you may end up fighting like that and that may get yourself hurt.

Also Horse stance is not a very good fighting stance but as you said you use it for training to what end i do not know.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I would but haven't seen any that are heavy enough.
Ironmind Enterprises sells kettlebell handles onto which you can load your plates, so you can make them as heavy as you want.;)

Randy Strausbaugh

R

RyuShiKan

Ironmind Enterprises sells kettlebell handles onto which you can load your plates, so you can make them as heavy as you want.;)

Randy Strausbaugh

Kool.........do they have URL?

Latest Discussions