Traditional Martial Arts Training Secrets

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Hmmmmm...

The "classical mess" was to fight until one fighter is KOed or gave up.

Hmmmmmmm, you got it, but "WAS" is the keyward!:asian:

F

fringe_dweller

That brings to mind a question that I've been wondering about recently. In hapkido we do a lot of joint locks and throws as well as strikes and kicks. If I was to spar I would use my strikes and kicks, but I'm more than a little worried about hurting someone - not because our techiques are so lethal, but rather because of my limited experience I wouldn't want to perform it wrong and do some serious damage.

So my question is, when do you introduce a techique into sparring? When you're 100% comfortable with it (as opposed to 100% competent which I'm sure is a whole other matter)?

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by akja
Hmmmmmmm, you got it, but "WAS" is the keyward!:asian:
Business and insurance. Lawyers, politicians, worried mothers. Spoiled kids and people who do what they want. Changing times, a new era.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by fringe_dweller
That brings to mind a question that I've been wondering about recently. In hapkido we do a lot of joint locks and throws as well as strikes and kicks. If I was to spar I would use my strikes and kicks, but I'm more than a little worried about hurting someone - not because our techiques are so lethal, but rather because of my limited experience I wouldn't want to perform it wrong and do some serious damage.

So my question is, when do you introduce a techique into sparring? When you're 100% comfortable with it (as opposed to 100% competent which I'm sure is a whole other matter)?
There's a general rule of thumb. Once you have PERFECT technique, and know the context of the technique as in (is this supposed to be used after I set it up a certain way or after a strike or what) and performing it X many times. I forgot the number, but I think it was 500-1500 that you have a general idea and have muscle memory and the technique burned into your CNS.

But, some moves, you can just do right away. I add moves when I'm somewhat comfortable with it after trying to get my technique up. If something's wrong, it can mean I'm doing the move wrong, or not doing something else wrong. I also understand that some moves work for others while they don't work for me.

You also have to learn about yourself, what's your learning style? My learning style for takedowns were easy, I was more visual with that. After I saw it, I did it with somewhat good technique. For ground moves, I had to break it down step-by-step, repeat it many times before I got comfortable with it. With strikes, I had to do the move many times.

Anyway, I pretty much use techniques that can be applied easily, swiftly, and things that are learned easily.

S

sweeper

the amount of reps per a given motion to be burned into your CNS differs for each person and each motion, but it isn't simply a nuber of repitions, but also repititions aver time, so someone may do 10,000 reps in their first day but wouldn't remember it a year from than, vs someone doing 30 per a day would (and probably would a year after).

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
That Karate people like to get hit!

Why else would you fight with your hand on your hip?

--Dave

:rofl:

J

Jill666

Originally posted by D.Cobb
That Karate people like to get hit!

Why else would you fight with your hand on your hip?

--Dave

:rofl:

:rofl: Shhh- that's beside the point. :D

Latest Discussions