Kukkiwon changes rules for poom/dan recommenders and 6th/7th Dan tests

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon has just announced two major changes to poom/dan promotions globally.
  1. In order to apply to join the Kukkiwon Membership System (the online interface to submit promotion applications) you now must have a Kukkiwon Master Certificate. The class of the certificate isn't important, but you must have attended and passed the Kukkiwon Master Course. If you're an existing KMS member, you have 3 years to get qualified or lose your promotion rights.

2. For 6th and 7th Dan Kukkiwon promotions now you must submit a video of the performance, which is 4 poomsae and 1 minute of sparring (and a thesis as usual).
I'm sure most people will welcome the latter change, as people have complained about low standard high dan holders not being checked by Kukkiwon. The first change though may cause some contention in the community for those that haven't attended the course.

http://kms.kukkiwon.or.kr/usr/notice.do

For what it's worth, I've done the course a couple of times (and have posted online diaries of my experiences) and would highly recommend it.

So, what do you think? Big change or relatively minor in your opinion? For the better or worse?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon has just announced two major changes to poom/dan promotions globally.
  1. In order to apply to join the Kukkiwon Membership System (the online interface to submit promotion applications) you now must have a Kukkiwon Master Certificate. The class of the certificate isn't important, but you must have attended and passed the Kukkiwon Master Course. If you're an existing KMS member, you have 3 years to get qualified or lose your promotion rights.

2. For 6th and 7th Dan Kukkiwon promotions now you must submit a video of the performance, which is 4 poomsae and 1 minute of sparring (and a thesis as usual).
I'm sure most people will welcome the latter change, as people have complained about low standard high dan holders not being checked by Kukkiwon. The first change though may cause some contention in the community for those that haven't attended the course.

http://kms.kukkiwon.or.kr/usr/notice.do

For what it's worth, I've done the course a couple of times (and have posted online diaries of my experiences) and would highly recommend it.

So, what do you think? Big change or relatively minor in your opinion? For the better or worse?
I think it is a very good thing. Anything that stays static for too long will become stale and KKW has been needing a facelift in a few areas for while I think. Hopefully it will be stringent enough to quell some of the haters and confirm or raise the level of Dan ranks. I do not think there is a one size fits all model that will work every time but this step shores up the process and expectation of holding a Dan rank much better. The KMC course seals the deal for me and the other requirements are more just cursory IMHO. I did the 3rd class course in Norcross, GA.

Latest Discussions