Just thinking about

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just thinking man is it time for the USAT or A.A.U. Tae Kwon Do to do something for those of us over forty? I mean I would like to compete once in a while but I need some old farts like me, I hate being ask if I would spar someone in there early thirty or even worst some twenty five year old. I know who wants to see old people spar beside old people.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...I know Terry I know. I use to have one of my fights up on youtube until people started using it as a watch how TKD guys fight so I took it down. I even had a disclaimer stating the over 40 fighters and still kept getting compared to the young one.

I like competing and even like competing against the young new black belts. I get to teach them that they need to learn technique and strategy not just kick to be kicking.

I love to spar the new BB and even let them know what I will hit them with. I tell them all I will only hit you 3 times. Once with a round house, once with an Ax kick, and once with a back kick. They almost all laugh. Then when the last back kick hits I have someone help them to the back room to catch their breath, fun stuff.

At tournaments there are not many of us so most times I don't bother. Plus I&#8217;m too busy coaching anyways.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea but do us old timers last after everyone so we can coach and still have some fun. I love competition but not with speed of all those young guys.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be more than happy to go a few rounds with you guys...if just to get access to the wealth of your experience. Maybe we can set up an old geezer sparring exchange program or something :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if more would turn out for tournaments we could have some fun. But most don't.

I will be at the JKI this year. Let's all make a plan to go have some fun too.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score

At tournaments there are not many of us so most times I don't bother. Plus I&#8217;m too busy coaching anyways.
At National this year, there were 7 of us ladies in the Ultra Women Bantam division. At US open, there were 7 also, so there are many ladies out there over 40s still kicking butts.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
At National this year, there were 7 of us ladies in the Ultra Women Bantam division. At US open, there were 7 also, so there are many ladies out there over 40s still kicking butts.
Yes, that is a lot for one divison. You go GIRLS!!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all, who said you were old?
I think I heard my knees say it once....or was that my back?
icon10.gif

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Poomsae! The divisions 41-50 and 51 – up are amazing at the World level.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love poomse. I really do...but I do so need to hit people every now and again :)

Am I wierd?

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking man is it time for the USAT or A.A.U. Tae Kwon Do to do something for those of us over forty? I mean I would like to compete once in a while but I need some old farts like me, I hate being ask if I would spar someone in there early thirty or even worst some twenty five year old. I know who wants to see old people spar beside old people.

I'm with you, I'm 41 and would be nice to sparr in equal circumstances with an old fart jejejejeje.

I'm not aerial anymore and compiting against a 20 or 30 years old could be difficult.

Manny

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I actually think there should be an "ultra" world championships. Well, I think it would need a different name for the division, butcause saying, "I'm the ultra world champion," would just sound funny.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
of course, old and creaky world champ just lacks something.... "D

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that the ultra's are great. Allot of heart. We like to call it the affectionatly "The Beer League". The reality is that for an Ultra to fight at a high level it takes allot of work and dedication. I really respect those who are willing to strap it up after 40. I hope you all fight at JKI I get a hot dog and a Coke and enjoy the battle.

Latest Discussions