Non-TKD training in the Kukkiwon

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
In 2001, years ago, I met Mr. Yo Yok Suryadi who graduated as 5th Dan from Kukkiwon. He told me that in Kukkiwon not only TKD is taught, but he also studied Ho Shin Shul which to him "looks like combo of Judo, Hapkido and TKD applied for self-defense". He also mentions Kumdo which to him is "Korean Kendo" as being offered in the Kukkiwon. Is this true?

Also, does this Ho Shin Shul only being taught to 5th Dan and above?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Denny,

Ho Shin Sul is the self-defense aspect of Taekwondo, it is not a separate art. Within Ho Shin Sul are throws/breakfalls/joint-locking.

The Kukkiwon is a huge building. It is used primarily for Taekwondo instructor courses, tournaments, and dan examinations. There are also offices around the perimeter of the training area. I never saw any Kumdo practice/instruction but I was only there for a week.

Miles

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Denny,

Ho Shin Sul is the self-defense aspect of Taekwondo, it is not a separate art. Within Ho Shin Sul are throws/breakfalls/joint-locking.

That was also my impressions sir, thank you for answering. When I studied TKD in early 90s I was never taught any of those. At what belt level those throws/locks should be taught?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It should be tought I would say Green belt and above . But I do not know for sure.
terry

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We are taught throws at green belt level. But we do basic self defense before that (releases from grabs, breakfalls, ect).

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are all very lucky. Of all my years studying TKD in junior high I was never taught any of those breakfalls or throws!

I remember being taught how to kick a baseball bat from an attacker's hand though. Is that also qualifies as Ho Shin Shul?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
We are taught throws at green belt level. But we do basic self defense before that (releases from grabs, breakfalls, ect).

This is how my program is structured as well. Before I will teach anyone how to do a throw, they need to know how to do breakfalls. The kids love the ukemi balls, it's the adults who are worried about gravity (or perhaps more accurately, the collision with the mat). I am still somewhat hesitant about showing kids joint locks, but no one has abused the knowledge yet.

Miles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool Miles :) Yes, the breakfalls come first. Even in Jujitsu. I am pretty good at them from TKD. But I am still doing pretty much a lot of breakfalls in Jujitsu with very little throwing LOL (so far).

I agree with the adults being hesitant about them. I've been there. I just tried them from a kneeling or squating position till I got comfy with them. It took a while, but it worked.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were taught wrist breaks at white belt and then choke breaks, etc...my instructor was pretty serious about self-defense as the reason for us being there. He wants us to know the 'whole art' so he takes forms pretty serious, self-defense serious, and I think sparring is a bit down on his list (part of the whole art but not to be a focus, or distraction) and tourneys are..ok

He mixed in Hapkido SJM and Judo throws, but mabe it's all TKD in some way

Latest Discussions