TKD & the effective strike

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah... mine is with the ball of the foot as the primary tool, so we're probably talking about 2 different front kicks.

Anyway, as far as the strike that can be counted on in all situations... I can't give one; there are too many situations in which a particular strike would be less effective or not effective - or appropriate - at all.

I'm with Kacey, here... There are too many strikes that can be effective for certain situations. However, if I had to pick one that I feel that I personally need to work on, is the jab. It just doesn't feel right, so that's what I'm really working on at the present. Basically, I think you should work on every aspect of your art- kicks, punches, etc. to perfect them or refine them a bit more. Even if they look great.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Master McLain Let me ask you this question then, does a boxer have a single punch that he or she likes the most and would rely on this. In my experience in MA the mass of people that will train and rely on a single movement is overwhelming is this good most likely not and we all train every side the same and evry tech. the same but when it comes down to cruch time we all have our favorite moves and when reacting kicks in those are the most dominant strike we all use.

Just my .02 cents worth

Hi Mr. Stoker,

You are probably correct.

But from my experience, an experienced fighter or sparrer will figure out which technique is the opponent's "bread and butter" and exploit it.

There is an old dojo-challenge story related to this. I think the story comes from Okinawa, but I may be mistaken.

R. McLain

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you all perfect the effective strike in any given section of a fight weather it be in competition or in Self defense. I know we all practice strike but do you practice the strike enough to be the one effective strike in any stituation that you are in and what strike would that be and why is it so effected for you? How often do you work on it? What stituation role playing do you use to make if effective enough to be the one for you?

I know all ma has what they consider the best strikes for there particular art and we as a whole do to, just like to hear everyone views on this.

there are no "best strikes" of a martial art system. only, best strikes in the situation at hand, period.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Stoker,

You are probably correct.

But from my experience, an experienced fighter or sparrer will figure out which technique is the opponent's "bread and butter" and exploit it.

There is an old dojo-challenge story related to this. I think the story comes from Okinawa, but I may be mistaken.

R. McLain

becoming reliant of "bread and butter" techniques practiced the studio for the "all inclusive street confrontation" is not wise, IMHO. a student should not rely just upon one avenue of success. one should have a whole loaf of bread and about 100 pounds of butter. ;)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If memory serves me right a wise man Bruce Lee once said he fears a man that has practice one strike 10,000 time more than a man that knows 10,000 strike and practice them once.
Or something like that, I know and understand that each and every stituation will dictate what strikes will be used at that moment. But we all have our favorite strike and would count on that more than a strike that we really do not feel comfatable with.

Master McLain I appreciate your views and all and I agree a fighter will exploits ones position in a fight.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If memory serves me right a wise man Bruce Lee once said he fears a man that has practice one strike 10,000 time more than a man that knows 10,000 strike and practice them once.
Or something like that, I know and understand that each and every stituation will dictate what strikes will be used at that moment. But we all have our favorite strike and would count on that more than a strike that we really do not feel comfatable with.

Master McLain I appreciate your views and all and I agree a fighter will exploits ones position in a fight.

sure.

but that "counted on strike" may not be the only answer. work the entire system, not just a part of it. in fighting, there is no silver bullet. choose to believe otherwise if you wish.