TKD & the effective strike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you all perfect the effective strike in any given section of a fight weather it be in competition or in Self defense. I know we all practice strike but do you practice the strike enough to be the one effective strike in any stituation that you are in and what strike would that be and why is it so effected for you? How often do you work on it? What stituation role playing do you use to make if effective enough to be the one for you?

I know all ma has what they consider the best strikes for there particular art and we as a whole do to, just like to hear everyone views on this.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine is very basic but it is my right cross.

In any situation I have faith that it will have the desired effect that it is meant to.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have never been confident about making a good fist and contacting well in a speedy situation since I hit a hard punch bag with full power with a bare hand and really hurt my knuckles. I find that a well performed knife hand strike hurts me less, would probably inflict more damage (as done by me) and would be more surprising to an assailant so I practice that in various forms on the hard bag. I have seen the dents I've put in the bag with it and the amount the bag swings so I am quite confident it would do the job. I'm also going to be using it for my "any hand tech" breaking this autumn in tournament so it's a good one to practice for me.

joblo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jab, Cross is still the most effective strike if used correctly and with good form. Next would be elbows and Knees in the clinch and then front kicks, and at longer distance low and middle section round house kicks. I would say we work these about 20% of our training.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I practice my lead hand punch and reverse punch against a makiwara almost daily. I'm confident if I ever landed either blow solidly against a real assailant, he would be unable to continue with the fight. Of course, the key words are "land" and "solidly". I suppose that's why we practice both free and prearranged sparring to learn distancing against a moving target.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many of you all perfect the effective strike in any given section of a fight weather it be in competition or in Self defense. I know we all practice strike but do you practice the strike enough to be the one effective strike in any stituation that you are in and what strike would that be and why is it so effected for you? How often do you work on it? What stituation role playing do you use to make if effective enough to be the one for you?

I know all ma has what they consider the best strikes for there particular art and we as a whole do to, just like to hear everyone views on this.

Terry,
Not sure what the question is.
Are you asking if people have a "silver-bullet"
Please define perfection?

As anyone who depends on any single technique is going to have a very bad experience in any martial art. (If all you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail!)

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry,
Not sure what the question is.
Are you asking if people have a "silver-bullet"
Please define perfection?

As anyone who depends on any single technique is going to have a very bad experience in any martial art. (If all you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail!)

Of course it depends on the how you use the hammer.

I think the question refers to having a move that you have done so many times that it is a quick reaction move that you can rely on.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course it depends on the how you use the hammer.

I think the question refers to having a move that you have done so many times that it is a quick reaction move that you can rely on.

Thank you Odin yes we all in MA work on all types of strikes and kicks but we all rely really on one or two to be that one strike that we can count on in any stituation.

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've trained my front kick to a satisfactory level of speed and power, but it's a real pity it can't really be used in sparring...

Am now trying to improve the speed of my usable-in-sparring kicks...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained my front kick to a satisfactory level of speed and power, but it's a real pity it can't really be used in sparring...

Why can't front kick be used in sparring? I use it all the time.

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hm. Mine is more of a snapping instep kick, which isn't good (to my knowledge and experience, which might be rather limited) for scoring points on the body protector. If applied to the head/face using the ball of foot, it'd cause unwanted damage to the opponent. So, yeah.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hm. Mine is more of a snapping instep kick, which isn't good (to my knowledge and experience, which might be rather limited) for scoring points on the body protector. If applied to the head/face using the ball of foot, it'd cause unwanted damage to the opponent. So, yeah.

Ah... mine is with the ball of the foot as the primary tool, so we're probably talking about 2 different front kicks.

Anyway, as far as the strike that can be counted on in all situations... I can't give one; there are too many situations in which a particular strike would be less effective or not effective - or appropriate - at all.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why can't front kick be used in sparring? I use it all the time.

Me too. It is a GREAT kick for sparring.

I don't use it to the head because it would end up being a face kick, of course.

But for body shots? Front kick is awesome.

One of my favorite things to do is is follow a reverse punch up with a front kick so, as they step back after the punch (or are knocked back ;)) I give them an extra one on the way out (the front kick) before they are completely out of range again.

It also opens them up for round house kicks to the head: first you hit them right at the belt with a couple of front kicks. Then, when they start dropping their hands to block that next front kick, you simply roll hips over and throw the high roundhouse.

Not sure why you would be having problems using a front kick in free sparring ...

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not for the ring...but fast and without thought my scoop shin kick and palm strike to body or chest. I still do it in sparring just to make the person nervous and get yelled at by the ref :eek:

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
At my school there was a high emphasis on being equally proficient with all you strikes and on both sides. Being ambidextrous was a must. If you had a weak technique master would drill you over and over again until it was on par with your stronger skills. Instead of developing a preferred strike, students tended towards having a favored target. One girl was particularly, and unfortunately for the males, good at groin shots. I recall another BB who had become expert in landing blows to the kidneys. One senior BB had the uncanny ability to find your chin regardless of what position he was in or how well you thought it was covered. I personally developed a strong preference for the back of the head.

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
foot2face,

what kind of sparring does your dojo have? I ask this 'cos I find kidney/groin(ouch)/chin shots rather out of place in a competition-style sparring match, where roundhouse/45 degree roundhouse kicks seem to be the main point scorers, those strikes you mentioned seem kinda illegally damaging.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do that.

R. McLain

Master McLain Let me ask you this question then, does a boxer have a single punch that he or she likes the most and would rely on this. In my experience in MA the mass of people that will train and rely on a single movement is overwhelming is this good most likely not and we all train every side the same and evry tech. the same but when it comes down to cruch time we all have our favorite moves and when reacting kicks in those are the most dominant strike we all use.

Just my .02 cents worth

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
foot2face,

what kind of sparring does your dojo have? I ask this 'cos I find kidney/groin(ouch)/chin shots rather out of place in a competition-style sparring match, where roundhouse/45 degree roundhouse kicks seem to be the main point scorers, those strikes you mentioned seem kinda illegally damaging.

We didn't competed in any tournaments and were never taught how to score points. Illegality of a blow was not an issue. The hard sparring(friendly fights) sessions were reserved for BBs. There were restrictions for safety reasons. We avoided the eyes, spine, neck region and groin shots were directed just above or to the left or right(still very painful but much preferred), but occasionally someone would miss...or not, and hit their opponent square in the NoNoes.

Latest Discussions