TKD Hangover

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For about the last six months or so, the morning after a good workout I experience what I've been calling a tkd hangover; pounding headache, and a general drag-*** feeling. I drink plenty of water before, during, and after class but it doesn't seem to help. Any one got any ideas? Think a sport drink would help?
Jim

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. thats the first time I have heard of that. I wonder what causes that even with you hydrating. Now you have my curiosity piqued.
My training sessions last anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on the day/event/schedule. I do TKD first and then afterwards is my sword class. So I usually sleep very well on those nights. I do drink some gatorade during and after training. ( i drink it half strength mix though. Full strength is just too strong for me, and its bad for your teeth)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might not replenish the electrolytes. Ditto on the sports drink.

But you should address that issue with your doctor. That's just weird.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you doing any other activities on top of you TKD training? If you are it could be a sign of over training.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you doing any other activities on top of you TKD training? If you are it could be a sign of over training.

I'd say they hit the nail on the head. It does sound like over training. The other thing to keep in mind is that hydrating for physical activity should take place long before the workout.

The recommended timeline for fluid intake around physical activity suggests 20 ounces of fluid starting about two hours before exercise. Top this off with about 4-8 ounces shortly before exercise. Then continue to drink 4-8 ounces of fluid every 15-20 minutes during exercise. After exercise, drink as much as you can comfortably for several hours. Any weight lost during activity is fluid loss — drink back about 24 ounces for every pound of weight lost. If you are hydrating adequately, you should not be losing any fluid weight during exercise.

Another concern about dehydration is that it can be cumulative. Over several days or weeks, not reaching full hydration after workouts can create more dramatic dehydration over time, resulting in a decline in energy levels and performance, as well as serious safety concerns in hot temperatures.

Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

• Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
  • Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
  • Pain in muscles and joints
  • Sudden drop in performance
  • Insomnia
  • Headaches
  • http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/exercisephysiology/a/aa100303a.htmDecreased Immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
  • Decrease in training capacity / intensity
  • Moodiness and irritability
  • Depression
  • Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
  • Decreased appetite
  • Increased incidence of injuries.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id like to know how old you are whats your blood presure? what diet do you eat all meals.

All pain relates to something wrong? You could have a poor bed or sleeping position?

let me know

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd definitely consult with a doctor and a trainer. It may be simple overtraining. It may be that you're taking hits to the head and waking up with traces (or more) of post-concussion syndrome. Or you're just not getting enough sleep that night, or grinding your teeth in your sleep after training. Or... do you go out for a drink or two with the club after class? Maybe it's nothing but a REAL hangover!

One thing I'd suggest is to start a diary or log. Make notes about your workouts, and your diet/fluid intake, as well as how you feel the next day. You may, for example, find out something you eat every time is actually the problem.

OP
jda

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Here's a little more info. I'm 48 years old and have been training for about 12 years. I'm not overweight. I sleep 6-8 hrs a night. In a normal day I drink at least a gallon of water a day, more on days I train. I don't do any other work out except tkd and I do that two or three days a week for two to three hours at a time. Some of those nights I am teaching so the workout is less intense. I haven't had a good blow too the head in quite some time though I probably deserve one. I don't drink alcohol or do drugs any more and I am on no medication. I eat a high protein, low fat, high fiber, fruit and vegetable filled diet. My blood pressure is within normal range. I don't eat before class (mostly because of the beans!). I did mention it to my MD and he said drink more water, but I don't think I can drink more, I drink a lot already. I think I'll see about getting a second opinion from a doc with more experience with sports.
Jim

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible -- and potentially fatal! -- to overhydrate. Not saying that's what's going on, but it's something to consider.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is possible -- and potentially fatal! -- to overhydrate. Not saying that's what's going on, but it's something to consider.

that has crossed my mind, too...but gosh, you have to drink a bunch of water for that....

(what is is called.. hydro toxicity? Remember that lady who died from it while competing fro a Wii?)

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First you need to get complete blood work done and look at all levels. At your age there could be several reasons? Go to another doctor better yet a good naturopath You could have a miss alignment in your back or neck, is this chronic or just recent? Virusses atack mostly evening?

Have you been exposed to anyone or anything?

Lots of stuff to consider but you should get check fatigue headache need to find out why?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
that has crossed my mind, too...but gosh, you have to drink a bunch of water for that.... (what is is called.. hydro toxicity? Remember that lady who died from it while competing fro a Wii?)

Hyponatremia.

You actually die from over diluting the electrolytes in your blood stream rather than "too much water" per se.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't had a good blow too the head in quite some time though I probably deserve one.
Sorry - this is a serious topic, but that made me laugh out loud.

Ditto everything about consulting a sports doc and possibly substitution Gatorade (or something similar) for some of the water that you drink.

OP
jda

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK, saw the chiropractor last night and she said that she thought it was from a lack of strength in my shoulders and neck in addition to a depletion of electrolytes. The run-down feeling is from the electrolytes and the head aches are from the twisting, pulling on my neck. I'll start drinking some kind of sport drink and try some conditioning exercises to strengthen my neck and see what happens. Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you posted with the results.
Jim

OP
jda

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dredging up an old thread for an update. Started drinking a sport drink I got from GNC. Its loaded with electrolytes and protein and no sucrose and low in other sugars. Increased the amount of neck/shoulder stretches and exercises with more push-ups and voila, hangovers are gone. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Jim

texas_rebel_1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i get something similar the morning after hapkido when we do a lot of choke holds. my neck will hurt but i will feel hungover and have a headache. i too prehyrdate and rehydrate so i am interested in this.

Latest Discussions