Professional Athletes training routines

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lets face it... I am not a professional athlete. Neither are any of my students or 90% of those who train in TKD or any other MA. But the habits and routines can be used for all of us recreational athletes. So I watch and learn what i can, picking up different methods and techniques along the way.

I learned the Ice bathe thing from Football. Boy that really helps preventing muscle soarness after strenuous workouts.

I was watching the Mayweather/Marquez 24/7 on HBO. Decent show. I like watching shows like that cause it gives a look at how the Pro's train. Marquez has a training ritual that went a little too bizzare for me.

Besides the drinking raw quail eggs.... whatever... not new... He drank his urine after he finished his hard workout. DISGUSTING. :barf: I understood the theory behind it, our body doesnt accept most of the vitamins, minerals and suppliments we take and flushes is out through the urine... but he drank it saying " its dumb to waste all the vitamins and minerals that our body needs". Are you serious? are vitamins and minerals that expensive for a Pro Athlete? WOW. But it shows how people from other cultures look differently at things that we do... and how serious some pros take training.

On another note... after a hard workout, he went to an oxygen chamber and sat for a while breathing pure oxygen... that sounded interesting... I wonder what effects that has on the body and the recovery stages after a workout?
I have came into work the next day after drinking and turned the oxygen on and breathed pure oxygen before to get rid of my headache and hangover. But those effects were shortlived and only seemed to make a difference while breathing the pure oxygen. Shortly after turning it off, it would all come back making me feel miserable again. So either I didnt breathe it long enough or it doesnt work... Any input?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
O2 alone is not really going to have much impact because of the bodies built in homeostasis mechanisms. As you breathe high concentration O2, your PO2 will increase, to which the body will respond by decreasing tidal volume and rate. You can conciously override this reflex and force yoruself to breathe at or above your normal rate/depth. As soon as your attention drifts, your rate/depth will decrease to return blood gases to their normal levels. Of course, this concious overriding is known as hyperventilation, and if you keep it up very long, you will not be happy with the results.
Sure, you can go sit in a barochamber. The high flow O2 combined with the increased in air pressure will do much the same thing as forced hyperventilation. And in short order, your body will adapt and return your blood gas levels to normal.
There's no denying that high flow O2 makes you feel good in the short term. But long term? Assuming that you're not affected by various respiratory diseases, it's not really doing much, if anything, that could not be done equally well by well disciplined breathing exercises.
As far as hangovers are concerned, your best bet to get rid of one is hydration. Alcohol is a diuretic. Spend the night bingeing and you'll be dehydrated. One of the symptoms of dehydration, shockingly, headache... Drink more water, before, during and after you over-indulge and you'll lessen the hangover.

As far as drinking your urine...
While it's true that (unless you have an active UTI...) urine is sterile, and certainly contains things that the body failed to absorb on the first pass through, it's also true that the primary function of urinating is the excretion of waste products of metabolism. Things that your body NEEDS to get rid of. Re-cycling urine (so to speak...) makes sense in a short-term survival setting. Lost in the dessert? Sure, drink your urine. But long term, it's a decidedly unhealthy thing to do.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think I'm going to adopt the urine hydration routine any time soon. I'm not a professional athlete (nor do I play one on TV :)

But, I agree that anyone can benefit by the experience of professional athletes. That's why I am looking forward to a seminar hosted by our very own MSUTKD, a national poomsae team member, who will share his training regimen on Sunday, September 20th from 10:30am to 4:30pm at the IM West training facility on the beautiful Michigan State campus. If you need details, I suggest you contact him as space is definitely limited.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned the Ice bathe thing from Football. Boy that really helps preventing muscle soarness after strenuous workouts.
Football players don't do ice baths for simple muscle sorness, they do them for the bruises they get all over their bodies. If you are working out hard and then taking an ice bath then you will get muscle cramps later on. for sore muscles from a workout the best thing to do for that is to work out the muscle lightly once again. I use to play football for high school and some D2 ball in college.

Also after you ice bath you should get a massage and heat up the muscles or you will cramp. You do not want to heat up the muscles then just cool them down that way.

OP
d1jinx

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
usually a hot shower and rub follows the ice bath. not instantly of course but soon after.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Drinking your own urine is a good way to get dehydrated. That's why you shouldn't do it in the desert.

I hope you know why not when you aren't in the desert.