Ideal weight for sparring

nuhash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am about 5'5.5 and weigh around 64kg, is this too much or should i cut down a bit, and when i say "too much" i mean in the competition sense where i should be at an ideal weight to fight people with similar heights.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am about 5'5.5 and weigh around 64kg, is this too much or should i cut down a bit, and when i say "too much" i mean in the competition sense where i should be at an ideal weight to fight people with similar heights.

I weight about 57kgs (had to go look that up and let google convert it from lbs, haha) and I'm 5'4".

When I compete out here I'm in division based on weight. At my weight, I'm *always* In the lightest adult division.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

At 5'6" and 141 pounds (64 kg), you will be one of the shortest competitors in your division, whether you are male or female. Our rule of thumb is that you can safely lose about 10% of your natural body weight for competition, which would bring you down to about 127 pounds (57.6 kg). You still would be a little short for elite level competitions.