• Can't live without it!

• Don't care for it.

• Never used it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only used the white Tiger Balm. I like it, although the burning sensation will fade to a cool sensation, and you may get pretty cold if you're getting a massage with it.

I think it was "Biofreeze" or something like that that my sifu let me use one night after class - it was GREAT. I have to remeber what that was.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't used Tiger Balm. I use Balur, Horse Liniment, occationally Biofreeze or Dit Dao Jao.

R

rupton

Flatlander said:
From experience: Wash your hands before you go to the bathroom!
Amen, had a little rinsing experience in a urinal once after doing this. I'm surprised a casual passer by didn't call the cops :uhyeah:

R

rupton

Chobaja said:
It has some natural menthol in it, it's tingly and penetrating but doesn't burn. Has a really strong pleasant menthol scent. It also stains your clothes.
Well, I haven't used it in years but Tiger Balm in the 80's era used to burn like mad if you over-applied it. This was the deep, deep red colored stuff. I think it is white and much less potent these days, no? I switched to regular muscle releif ointments years ago myself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger balm for over twenty years the last couple of years I also use Bio-freeze pretty good stuff too!

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
rupton said:
Well, I haven't used it in years but Tiger Balm in the 80's era used to burn like mad if you over-applied it. This was the deep, deep red colored stuff. I think it is white and much less potent these days, no? I switched to regular muscle releif ointments years ago myself.
My mom studied KF for a short while, so I had access to it in the 80s as a young kid, and yes I do remember it being more intense than it is now. I assumed it was just my perception.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a fan of the white Tiger Balm (ultra strength, non-staining formula) but have heard good things about the red stuff, as well as Da Dit Jao. BioFreeze is good stuff too. I'm not too bothered by the smell of TB - to me, it just wouldn't be a workout without it. It warms up my knees nicely. :D

[Too bad I'm not getting paid to say all this stuff--If Tiger Balm ever wants a spokesperson, I could sure use the money! :lol:]

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i use the red stuff. it's great stuff. although it does stain clothing.

the milder white stains as well, just a little light-yellow.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
i use grandmaster tao's 12 herb soak and zheng gu shui
My acupunturist turned me on to Zheng Gu Shui and it's GREAT.A much stronger smell than Tigers Balm and a whole lot more heat..Don't forget to wash your hands after using it..

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tiger Balm is good but there is a product out called Blue Goo that is really good. You can pick it up at most Wal Mart stores.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
My acupunturist turned me on to Zheng Gu Shui and it's GREAT.A much stronger smell than Tigers Balm and a whole lot more heat..Don't forget to wash your hands after using it..
Someone told me once that each kind approaches different tissue types, but I don't remember which one is for which. Does anybody else here know? I'll post back if I find out.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bouhgt some stuff out of the ASMA catalog, Micheals Herbal Balmn< it is my new favorite-better then Tiger balm or Ben gay

K

Karushi

Flatlander said:
From experience: Wash your hands before you go to the bathroom!
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that makes me cry it's so funny!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I tried it, but it didn't do much for me. Been using a linment from my school and have seen MUCH better results, especially on my shins. (wish I could remember the name of the stuff though... dang kooky Thai words... :()

S

Satelite

Here is a question.
Why not just use ice right after injury and moist heat 24-48 hours after.
I personally don't have anything agains the balm, but it does still to the hair on the body lol

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually started using "wisest oil" from Lee Kam Wing and it gets much hotter than TB and much deeper too.

And trust me....please trust me....everyone is right about washing your hands!! I had a guy put it on his lower back before a run, the heat of the day made him sweat and it ran down his lower back into his shorts!! Man I've never seen him run faster!

7sm