Free lesson on Hitting the Gaps Speed Training - 3 strings and a tennis ball - Hit the Gaps

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have 2 videos to share of me training speed by using 3 strings and a tennis ball and hitting the gaps. Here are a few thing for clarity:
1. Gaps = any space around or between an object.
2 To ways to use the gaps in training. You can move your body through gaps or you can punch / kick the gaps.

Required Equipment:
1. Any ball that is the size of the tennis ball.
2. Sock or cloth bag - It's easier to place a ball in a sock than to try to hang the ball it self. Any small cloth bag should work if you want it to look more formal
3. String / Cord of some sort - use a piece that is thick enough that it won't tear if you hit the

Purpose of this training is to train speed and timing but can be altered to train speed and power. For now I'm only covering the speed. The speed of the swing will vary depending on the objects that are swinging and the arc of the swing. The longer the arc the more time you have, the shorter the arc the less time. Each swing of the tennis ball will give you less time than the previous swing which means you have to gradually start punching faster. Than the previous swing.

This first video is just an example of how I use it with my kung fu strking. The set up should work with any striking system. I will go over all of the things being trained in this video with the combination I'm using.

1. Footwork - Helps you to train footwork mobility and footwork adaptation
2. Timing and "Open gap" analysis - This will help give you a good understanding of the timing needed to strike an open spot on your opponent. The swing of the string helps to set a base line that you can use to compare with the movement of your opponents.
3. Distance adjustment analysis - This helps to measure your target as you close the distance or maneuver around the target. It will also teach you how to adjust the distance when your movement is too short or too far.
4. Slip strikes - swinging objects create a good challenge to avoid and maneuver around so that you aren't hit.
5. Stance mobility - Changes in stance use and stance level changes.
6. Improves clarity of the mind - Excellent for getting rid of all the mental noise.

The combination in this video is a 12 strike combination done 5 seconds. This was not my fastest and not my best.
1. Guard / Strike
2 Reverse punch
3 Hammer fist
4. Hammer fist
5. Upper cut
6. Knife hand (just a bad one)
7. Hammer fist
8 Hammer fist
9. Hammer fist
10 . Hammer fist
Trap.
11. Back fist
12. Lead hand thrust punch.

For the second video focus on the Trap back fist. I show a normal speed and a slower speed so you can see how quickly the back fist strike on the ball lands. I try not to hit the ball hard with the back fist because I want it to have a short swing so that it swings back at me quickly. That way I will need to drop my stance quickly to attack under the swing.

@Alan0354 There are a lot of speed related things you can do with a tennis ball if you are aiming for the areas around the tennis ball. Not sure if you notice where my fist land in the slow motion portions of the video, but it's pretty accurate. Just aim for the empty space around the ball the all.

@Ivan and @Terrible Tim Witherspoon You can see see me utilize that secondary guard.. You'll don't see me use a Boxer's guard because those big strikes are also "Clearing hands" If someone punches me during those big swings then my arms will knock down the punch. But that secondary guard will either to protect my face or my body. The guy in Red was an amateur boxer from Florida. I don't know what gym he trained in. I never thought to ask. But the low guard under the punch helps to protect against stuff like this when attacking. In general it goes where the biggest opening is.

1640318857673.png

Reaction score
I have 2 videos to share of me training speed by using 3 strings and a tennis ball and hitting the gaps. Here are a few thing for clarity:
1. Gaps = any space around or between an object.
2 To ways to use the gaps in training. You can move your body through gaps or you can punch / kick the gaps.

Required Equipment:
1. Any ball that is the size of the tennis ball.
2. Sock or cloth bag - It's easier to place a ball in a sock than to try to hang the ball it self. Any small cloth bag should work if you want it to look more formal
3. String / Cord of some sort - use a piece that is thick enough that it won't tear if you hit the

Purpose of this training is to train speed and timing but can be altered to train speed and power. For now I'm only covering the speed. The speed of the swing will vary depending on the objects that are swinging and the arc of the swing. The longer the arc the more time you have, the shorter the arc the less time. Each swing of the tennis ball will give you less time than the previous swing which means you have to gradually start punching faster. Than the previous swing.

This first video is just an example of how I use it with my kung fu strking. The set up should work with any striking system. I will go over all of the things being trained in this video with the combination I'm using.

1. Footwork - Helps you to train footwork mobility and footwork adaptation
2. Timing and "Open gap" analysis - This will help give you a good understanding of the timing needed to strike an open spot on your opponent. The swing of the string helps to set a base line that you can use to compare with the movement of your opponents.
3. Distance adjustment analysis - This helps to measure your target as you close the distance or maneuver around the target. It will also teach you how to adjust the distance when your movement is too short or too far.
4. Slip strikes - swinging objects create a good challenge to avoid and maneuver around so that you aren't hit.
5. Stance mobility - Changes in stance use and stance level changes.
6. Improves clarity of the mind - Excellent for getting rid of all the mental noise.

The combination in this video is a 12 strike combination done 5 seconds. This was not my fastest and not my best.
1. Guard / Strike
2 Reverse punch
3 Hammer fist
4. Hammer fist
5. Upper cut
6. Knife hand (just a bad one)
7. Hammer fist
8 Hammer fist
9. Hammer fist
10 . Hammer fist
Trap.
11. Back fist
12. Lead hand thrust punch.

For the second video focus on the Trap back fist. I show a normal speed and a slower speed so you can see how quickly the back fist strike on the ball lands. I try not to hit the ball hard with the back fist because I want it to have a short swing so that it swings back at me quickly. That way I will need to drop my stance quickly to attack under the swing.

@Alan0354 There are a lot of speed related things you can do with a tennis ball if you are aiming for the areas around the tennis ball. Not sure if you notice where my fist land in the slow motion portions of the video, but it's pretty accurate. Just aim for the empty space around the ball the all.

@Ivan and @Terrible Tim Witherspoon You can see see me utilize that secondary guard.. You'll don't see me use a Boxer's guard because those big strikes are also "Clearing hands" If someone punches me during those big swings then my arms will knock down the punch. But that secondary guard will either to protect my face or my body. The guy in Red was an amateur boxer from Florida. I don't know what gym he trained in. I never thought to ask. But the low guard under the punch helps to protect against stuff like this when attacking. In general it goes where the biggest opening is.

View attachment 27827
Very interesting, I really like your setup. That last punch I believe in 5 Animals is called leopards' paw and dragons fist if your close it the way you have your hand? It always reminds me of the way Mike Tyson practice a straight punch to the stomach

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very interesting, I really like your setup. That last punch I believe in 5 Animals is called leopards' paw and dragons fist if your close it the way you have your hand?
That last punch is just a regular fist but with the thumb to the side. In Jow Ga Kung fu we secure the fist structure by placing it on the outside and by pressing the thumb into the fingers This helps locks the fist and keep it from being a loose fist. Having the thumb on the side allows us to use all parts of the fist. It also protect the thumb, because some of the punches we do will break the thumb if we wrap the thumb around the fist. The first fist is the one that you are referring too.

jow ga Kung Fu does use leopards paw, but it's not for me. I don't like how it feels on my joints. I also lack the conditioning for it so the only place I would be able to use it is for attacking the neck which these days is difficult to do when everyone is learning to tuck their chin.

1640372000663.png

The last 2 fists below I use for striking my opponent's arms and hands.

You should add the fist that you use in boxing here.
Show your fist. Represent your system or fighting style.

Latest Discussions