The Reverse Elbow

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking that in martial arts terms, I probably would probably not understand what that actually means. As such I thought it would be prudent of me to throw the question out here. The reverse elbow, what does that mean to you guys and girls. This time above curious?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe in kenpo that is a term used for an elbow thrown to someone behind you. Let's say like in a bear hug, you would reach out in front of yourself then elbow back into the attacker.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a very clear term, unless it's in the context and traditions of a particular school.
Terminology is often like that. In Korea, a reverse punch is thrown with the leading hand. A punch from the rear hand is called a straight punch. In America, a reverse punch is thrown with the rear hand. I.E. if you're in a stance with your left foot forward, the reverse punch is thrown with the right hand.
The term "reverse elbow" is not one I can recall ever using. We teach elbow strikes as being forward or backwards, upwards, downwards or sideways. So an upward forward elbow strike would be bringing the elbow up into the target, similar to an uppercut.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a very clear term, unless it's in the context and traditions of a particular school.
Terminology is often like that. In Korea, a reverse punch is thrown with the leading hand. A punch from the rear hand is called a straight punch. In America, a reverse punch is thrown with the rear hand. I.E. if you're in a stance with your left foot forward, the reverse punch is thrown with the right hand.
The term "reverse elbow" is not one I can recall ever using. We teach elbow strikes as being forward or backwards, upwards, downwards or sideways. So an upward forward elbow strike would be bringing the elbow up into the target, similar to an uppercut.

Yeah you are right, not very clear at all. Thought that it maybe more generic, then again thinking about it, that would still confined to certain arts then. The forward and upward elbow sounds very MT to me. Nice post DD and thanks :)

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in kenpo that is a term used for an elbow thrown to someone behind you. Let's say like in a bear hug, you would reach out in front of yourself then elbow back into the attacker.

Interesting. Will have to use the dreaded Youtube for that. That would be what reverse to me means in action, so I can see straight away the movement involved. I have been stupidly caught from behind once. I just kept hammering my right into his right side rib area. Tbh if it had been someone trained in MA, I doubt that my action would have been that effective, but to the average Joe, it works in my experience. Don't know a lot about Kenpo, but will be fun to see some in action, albeit on Youtube.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think of striking sideways and outwards as a reverse elbow but that is just me, not a very clear term as has ben mentioned.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think of striking sideways and outwards as a reverse elbow but that is just me, not a very clear term as has ben mentioned.

Yes indeed. I can see that with you and the other members, different arts mean different moves. Sideways and outwards though, would that not be a little loose, IE, not tight in to the body, more of a swinger?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes indeed. I can see that with you and the other members, different arts mean different moves. Sideways and outwards though, would that not be a little loose, IE, not tight in to the body, more of a swinger?

Well I wouldn`t be too tight to the body then my structure collapses, as for swinger that depends. If the target is more in front of you then yes spin your torso but the arm itself is pretty fixed, if more to the side then more of the power will come from opening your chest and slide in the same direction for added impact. This get a bit more technical than I usually care to discuss but I hope you can get an idea of what I am trying to say :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've practices a few forms with elbow strike, not reverse though. Perhaps if you elbow strike across you could elbow strike the other direction.

Its not one of my favorite techniques but if used right it's effective

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Others are correct, it is going to depend on your style/school/lineage. I have seen terms used complete opposites in differing styles. For example, inward vs. outward blocks. I have seen some define the "inward" as the direction the block is going and ending up and other styles define it as the starting point of the block. Very confusing.

In the styles I have seen using the term "reverse" elbow, it has always been an elbow strike thrown to your rear to an opponent behind you. I have also seen it defined as a "rear elbow".

The other I have seen in regards to elbows is descending vs. downward elbow. Both are used to define an elbow strike starting above the target and moving downward to strike it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking that in martial arts terms, I probably would probably not understand what that actually means. As such I thought it would be prudent of me to throw the question out here. The reverse elbow, what does that mean to you guys and girls. This time above curious?

It can mean a few things, some of which have already been said. 1) the elbow is thrown from your rear hand, towards the front. IE: I'm in a left lead, I throw a right elbow. 2) the elbow is thrown behind me, IE: someone is grabbing you, you strike with the elbow. In Kenpo, we have what's called an obsure elbow, which is an elbow strike to the rear and also rising.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use Right and Left:
1. Regular Elbow - horizontal moving inward toward the center line.
2. Diagonal Up - moving diagonal upward from one side to the opposite
3. Diagonal Down
4. Vertical Up - like and upper cut. Stays on the same side of the body.
5. Vertical Down - 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock
6. Side In - From the guard or fence up position the elbow simply pops inward toward the center line.
7. Side Out - Moving outward from the center line. Or toward the rear.
8. Forward Thrust or Spear - Hand covers ear on same side and elbow up and forward Thrusting forward.
9. Spinning Back.
Several variations but these are what we use. The closest to what I would call a reverse elbow would be the Side Out.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I wouldn`t be too tight to the body then my structure collapses, as for swinger that depends. If the target is more in front of you then yes spin your torso but the arm itself is pretty fixed, if more to the side then more of the power will come from opening your chest and slide in the same direction for added impact. This get a bit more technical than I usually care to discuss but I hope you can get an idea of what I am trying to say :)

Yeah no problem. No need to get technical, I was just curious as to how you would deploy in a situation. Or at least as much as I can derive from a post :)

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can mean a few things, some of which have already been said. 1) the elbow is thrown from your rear hand, towards the front. IE: I'm in a left lead, I throw a right elbow. 2) the elbow is thrown behind me, IE: someone is grabbing you, you strike with the elbow. In Kenpo, we have what's called an obsure elbow, which is an elbow strike to the rear and also rising.

Interesting. An obscure elbow, not sure that I would ever term one that. Some investigation in order here. Thanks!

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use Right and Left:
1. Regular Elbow - horizontal moving inward toward the center line.
2. Diagonal Up - moving diagonal upward from one side to the opposite
3. Diagonal Down
4. Vertical Up - like and upper cut. Stays on the same side of the body.
5. Vertical Down - 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock
6. Side In - From the guard or fence up position the elbow simply pops inward toward the center line.
7. Side Out - Moving outward from the center line. Or toward the rear.
8. Forward Thrust or Spear - Hand covers ear on same side and elbow up and forward Thrusting forward.
9. Spinning Back.
Several variations but these are what we use. The closest to what I would call a reverse elbow would be the Side Out.

Cool and thanks.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
  1. The trick with the reverse elbow is to hit with your body, and the elbow is like a magic bumper that suddenly appeared. If you muscle it you have to get power by going forward first. It all goes to hell from there. :)

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  1. The trick with the reverse elbow is to hit with your body, and the elbow is like a magic bumper that suddenly appeared. If you muscle it you have to get power by going forward first. It all goes to hell from there. :)

Yeah perhaps, but not all doom and gloom :) Improvise!

Latest Discussions