The Philosophy Behind the Black Belt

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It’s not Ivan. It’s the instructor.

Oh sorry! My bad. I just reread it.

Honestly I think the instructor wasn't that bad or corny. He was assuming the position of teacher. Back in my high school days, lots of teachers were like that. Some better at it than others. No matter what, I don't think such people have bad intentions.

Heck, I'm the same way in my online game. I've done four lectures so far in my guild house with a big audience. No joke.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow, y'all some ball busters, for real.

OP - I get what your coach is saying. Being something is far more important than having something. On that I agree.

For people sitting on the mat, the "being" is probably considered excellent in BJJ. Wow, shocker. I doubt, the speach would have had the same impact to a bunch of folks starting their college education. The "being" would have been "Doctor".

Being a good parent and husband come before me being a good martial artist BUT being a good martial artist comes WAY before advancing my career. There are classes i could be taking that would greatly further me, in my field, instead I spend my time training. So..... yea, I get what he's saying.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
well there are many many thing more important, consider maslows hierarchy of needs bjj black belts are right at the bottom, unless you can monetise, the belt much as you can say a law degree, so that it provibmfedms you with food and shelter etal.

if it do4snt then your " passion" to the exckusion of all else is an elevator cto the bottom

the problem, you will find as you progress your life is people will try to install their life choices on to you.

if the onky thing they have achieved that they can be proud of, is a black velt, then they will try to sell that to you to repeat the same mistake, ive seen the same with lits of different hobbies

rich, i didnt want to be rich ive got a blackbelt, far more important, bull,&&&,
.the guys a complete looser ir a conman
Lol.... you don't think the black belt represents what's closer to the top of maslow's hierarchy?

Self-actualisation referring to once you've gotten the other things taken care of (food, shelter, social belonging etc), that you're pursuing what has true meaning and value for you, aligning with your inner joy and full expression of yourself?

You've completely got it the flopsy way around!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you're misinterpreting a bit. The BJJ black belt is supposed to be a metaphor for anything. It could be your own personal goals or whatever - it's just that to people who are passionate about BJJ, that "anything" could be the belt.

I think the theory is you can't buy one and you can't take it away from someone. It is a thing you have worked for and it makes you special.

It doesn't mean it is more important than other life stuff but a success like that can be a mental cornerstone to create other success.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooookkkaaaaayyyy see what you mean about that cult type thing....seems weird to me talking like that.
I don’t think a talk like that is so weird. I’m not good at them, but I’ve run into a few instructions who were, and folks at seminars got a nice charge from their philosophy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, i can see that, homeless guy wraps himself in a bin bag, crawls into his cardboard box all ready turning to mush by the frseibg rain,

thinks im glad i turned that law degree down to concentrate on geting my bjj blackbelt, its really given my life meaning

happens all the time, im sure
Yeah, that’s exactly what he said....

Where do you come up with this rubbish?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lol.... you don't think the black belt represents what's closer to the top of maslow's hierarchy?

Self-actualisation referring to once you've gotten the other things taken care of (food, shelter, social belonging etc), that you're pursuing what has true meaning and value for you, aligning with your inner joy and full expression of yourself?

You've completely got it the flopsy way around!
thats because mr maslow didnt put it in a triange, he wrote a hierarchy, with the most crucial things at the top and that is food, then shelter etal, and self actulisation at the BOTTOM

i also dont think self actulisation means what you think it means?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
thats because mr maslow didnt put it in a triange, he wrote a hierarchy, with the most crucial things at the top and that is food, then shelter etal, and self actulisation at the BOTTOM

i also dont think self actulisation means what you think it means?

The images below is how it's often taught, we learned it this way in my counselling course, we covered it quite a bit. But I get what you mean in that self-actualisation would be considered at the 'bottom' from the perspective of it needing to be addressed only after the other needs are met.

The black belt can 'represent' the 'need' to self-actualise, grow, learn, and develop into the fullest potential you can and want to be (different for everyone). Personal evolution. That's all I'm saying, nothing cryptic ;)
c57dea9986aa2aa0eaf16d2637243c22.jpg
ed44eb1c2bbea0c104c3ba39b82fd5f9.jpg
7f7b865a08d25176b4419c15bd08e363.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The images below is how it's often taught, we learned it this way in my counselling course, we covered it quite a bit. But I get what you mean in that self-actualisation would be considered at the 'bottom' from the perspective of it needing to be addressed only after the other needs are met.

The black belt can 'represent' the 'need' to self-actualise, grow, learn, and develop into the fullest potential you can and want to be (different for everyone). Personal evolution. That's all I'm saying, nothing cryptic ;)
neither me or maslow are responsible for people misreprestning it as a triange

but if your insisting on triangles the most impirtant bit of the great pyrimid is the bit at the bottom, wiyh out whiich the whole lot falls over

so, in a HIERARCHY of important the foundation are top of the list, the pointy vit at the top is what peopje spend the most time admiring, but is least important to it standibg for 4000 years

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
neither me or maslow are responsible for people misreprestning it as a triange

but if your insisting on triangles the most impirtant bit of the great pyrimid is the bit at the bottom, wiyh out whiich the whole lot falls over

so, in a HIERARCHY of important the foundation are top of the list, the pointy vit at the top is what peopje spend the most time admiring, but is least important to it standibg for 4000 years
... ah..
..... you sorta missed the point (no pun intended!)... it wasn't about triangle structure at all. If you wanna stick with the shape, consider it more of a mountain then, and it's more the peak or summit, but meh

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s exactly what he said....

Where do you come up with this rubbish?
it would be the ,,,,, it doesnt matter if yoyr rich or poor as long as you have a blackbelt,,, bit

clearly it matters quite a lot, if yoUr actually, POOR

this statement is on par with " let them eat cake" of only possibly being said by someone who has never wanted for lifes essentials

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
... ah..
..... you sorta missed the point (no pun intended!)... it wasn't about triangle structure at all. If you wanna stick with the shape, consider it more of a mountain then, and it's more the peak or summit, but meh
if your going to climb Everest, you need to get to base camp first???
.im struggling with the concept a black belt being the peak of someones achevments, i mean really, irs a result of people who have achived little in other area, putting extreme value on something that means very little

ii mean sure it takes effort and commitment, but so does everything else,, hell my mates model railway, has taken him decades of effort and commutment, and i rather think his effort might have been better redirected into something more useful

my pool trophies are just as valuable as a representatipn of commttment and success, and they are in the back of a cupboard, unless i threw them out in the last move?

Last edited:

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm....HIERARCHY of importance, is really an individual thing. Food and shelter sure, but anything past that is more of a group thing. And, really any pyramid or list past food, water and shelter, will be based on individual desire.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm....HIERARCHY of importance, is really an individual thing. Food and shelter sure, but anything past that is more of a group thing. And, really any pyramid or list past food, water and shelter, will be based on individual desire.
its its importance of " things" to being able to reach higher lecels of existence not the importance of what that higher level is

maslow is generally disgreed with now over being to simplistic but it does have some eternal truths with in it, even if it could be switch around or over lapped abit

Last edited:

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Bro, I got something better than Maslow's that simplifies everything and it is this...

People have three needs and three needs only. Anything else is trivial. When these three needs are met, the person becomes happy.

FOOD, SEX, COMMUNITY.

Really, that's it. That's the secret to happiness. Whether it's wired through evolution or God-given, nobody cares. The fact is, those three are all we need, and when they are met, we are happy. Every dude you see around justifying his ambitions of saving the world is just a lonely spirit looking to get laid.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bro, I got something better than Maslow's that simplifies everything and it is this...

People have three needs and three needs only. Anything else is trivial. When these three needs are met, the person becomes happy.

FOOD, SEX, COMMUNITY.

Really, that's it. That's the secret to happiness. Whether it's wired through evolution or God-given, nobody cares. The fact is, those three are all we need, and when they are met, we are happy. Every dude you see around justifying his ambitions of saving the world is just a lonely spirit looking to get laid.
What a load of rubbish

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

FOOD, SEX, COMMUNITY.

well thats is very nearly what maslow said, but he included shelter, outdoor sex on a january night can quiickly loose it appeal