The Non Spinning back fist.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
if i missed it in someones comment i apologize (i skimmed)
a snapping back fist puts out a decent amount of power with its whip like motion, fura uchi or swing blow also uses the back side of the knuckles and can do some serious damage and pretty hard to see it coming
That's what i think too! So underrated

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are two methods: The easiest, but slowest, is to coil your hand over your heart with the elbow up high, and just let it roll out at the target; the second is to hug center line and turn it into a thrust. It helps if you stick it with a bracing angle, in your stance work. THIS IS, WAX ON WAX OFF, stuff. o_O
Agree. The latter can have some good power. The penetration of the knuckles can have real affect. It sounds like @chrissyp is talking about the former which is more of a flip, not as much power.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It works in ground and pound for a few techical reasons. So we do it a bit there.

As a stand up I dont like the fact it hits your guarded side and leaves you open to their other hand.

I have re thought that position by the way. So long as either I am cutting a massive angle or he is I can be pretty safe from that right hand.

Good boxers will cut a huge angle to my left. And I have popped them from time to time with a sneaky hammer fist.

It is illegal in boxing though. Which means I could only hit the guy once.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have re thought that position by the way. So long as either I am cutting a massive angle or he is I can be pretty safe from that right hand.

Good boxers will cut a huge angle to my left. And I have popped them from time to time with a sneaky hammer fist.

It is illegal in boxing though. Which means I could only hit the guy once.

True, but what about a dirty boxer whom would still cut to left deep, anticipate a strike, block with elbow and then used forced momentum to go for a grapple. Perhaps even finish with head but, then withdraw. Would that work do you think?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but what about a dirty boxer whom would still cut to left deep, anticipate a strike, block with elbow and then used forced momentum to go for a grapple. Perhaps even finish with head but, then withdraw. Would that work do you think?

I can still go right. So probably not. Just too much space.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he still considered a boxer if he starts grappling you?

In dirty boxing yeah. Back in the day, grappling and such like was there. There is a club Urban Boxing down on the South coast in the UK. They have recorded some seminar stuff for YouTube, albeit a few years ago, but very interesting to watch. But I guess like a lot of Krav, it is down to interpretation on what is and what isn’t. It my experience it can be a bit confusing, which seriously doesn’t take much in my case, but a lot seems the same, just have to spot the subtle differences in a teacher when they demonstrate. Always looks the same, but never is the same. Starting to sound like Yoda now. But yes, check out those vids. Well worth a watch

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Old topic but relevant. I throw my lead straight from three different angles. The traditional jab line that comes from the shoulder, the WC straight that cones from the center, and the corkscrew backfist that comes from the rear side. Three angles from a stationary position. Add in movement and things get fun.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is he still considered a boxer if he starts grappling you?

In sparring we have a very loose definition of boxing. Unless someone is in fight camp.

And by loose definition I mean I had a guy Tarzan swing off a rope to pass guard once in jits class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In sparring we have a very loose definition of boxing. Unless someone is in fight camp.

And by loose definition I mean I had a guy Tarzan swing off a rope to pass guard once in jits class.
It doesn't get much looser than that. Is that what it takes to pass your guard??

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't get much looser than that. Is that what it takes to pass your guard??

Nah. We don't really guard game a lot. So it is one of those weird little holes in my game I have.

I also only have about 3 submissions.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can use the backfist as power shot. I do it all the time. I'll put it this way. I can probably break facial bone and collar bones with a backfist. Like dirty dog stated. It's a body mechanics thing.
I agree the backfist can break facial bone. When practicing do you aim for the temple?

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree the backfist can break facial bone. When practicing do you aim for the temple?
Sometimes and only when my opponent is using headgear. I also aim for where the jaw connects. I also use it to knock down my opponents guard.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes and only when my opponent is using headgear. I also aim for where the jaw connects. I also use it to knock down my opponents guard.
I was taught temple in a fight. I was taught It would knock out or might even kill your attacker.
I was taught when sparing aim, but do not hit temple, a time before pads.
I was taught when sparing use backfist to setup a grab just above wrist from which you can do a lot of things like side kick to the ribs.
We were not allowed to uses spinning backfist while sparing, only mirror work.
Back when I first started the backfist was important and practiced a lot.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was taught temple in a fight. I was taught It would knock out or might even kill your attacker.

If you change "would" to "might", you'll be a lot closer to correct. Frankly, the backfist is a low percentage knockout move. And I am quite skeptical about the possibility of a non-spinning backfist to the temple being lethal.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you change "would" to "might", you'll be a lot closer to correct. Frankly, the backfist is a low percentage knockout move. And I am quite skeptical about the possibility of a non-spinning backfist to the temple being lethal.
I agree with you for most people. Their were a few black belts, I total believe could kill you with a backfist.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree. A lead hand back fist is a good distraction for a setup. A spinning back fist can be tremendously powerful and solid jaw strike is a high percentage knockout. Rock the head.

Latest Discussions