Spinning back fist to the head allowed?

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember when I did a combination of either side kick or round house then did a spinning back fist. I got in trouble from the teacher and was told I wasn't allowed to do it anymore.
I made no contact even though I could have.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In WTF sparring no head shots with the hand, but in ITF or other such tournaments we do yes it is legal. What type of sparring do you do?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
In ITF rules, it's only legal if you're looking at the target. If you're looking away when you connect with a spinning backfist, it's an infraction. (Too dangerous a technique in a light contact setting to be throwing wild.)

OP
Dao

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I been at schools that's ITF and WTF. I never asked so I kind got confused. I just don't bother doing back fist anymore. I just practice on my own right now til I can afford the monthly fees.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry's right...in WTF settings, no hand contact with the head. I'd find out what rules your sparring under so appropriate tactical adjustments can be made ahead of time.

Peace,
Erik

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
We follow the ITF and we allow it, but not if it is "blind." As has already been stated.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
do them to the body.

a spin back fist packs enormous power. I 'threw' one by accident one time, my partner spun me around (powerful blocks she had) and I just kinda let the hand float out - halfassed all the way - but I was flabbergasted at the power it had, even this unintentional...treat it with respect...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In ITF rules, it's only legal if you're looking at the target. If you're looking away when you connect with a spinning backfist, it's an infraction. (Too dangerous a technique in a light contact setting to be throwing wild.)

Exactly - and it has nothing to do with the target or the tool, either, in the ITF; if you throw a technique and can't see it when it lands (it's okay if you lose sight of it during execution, as you would have to with any spinning back technique) the risk of injury to your opponent is too high. Blind back kicks are illegal as well - but it's much easier to see, and therefore call, blind back fists and other hand techniques, and more dangerous if they impact the head than the body.

Latest Discussions