Spin hook kick

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is linked up properly, the whole video/youtube thing is still a mystery to me. But here's the California Blitz, from back in the day.
Just another piece of footwork, closes distance quickly, and it changes the timing from other steps one might use. With some practice, you can catch a lot of people. And it's kind of fun.

We used to call this Yi Bo Chun Jin Step; others called it "shuffling in".

Last edited by a moderator:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes maybe, but that was 88. Today they would just step in on you, or simply kick you on your movement. It is an old movement, been around in many systems since before I was born. Many Karate point fighters used this move back in the 70's and 80's. Just like any move, someone will always be caught by it. Every move ever invented or thought of will work at some point or another. It is all about the percentages and the type of sport you are doing.

I think you can still use the beginning half as a fake, or the full motion to chase someone down who is off balance and stumbling backwards, for example.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's sometimes called a trigger step. It still can be a very effective stepping technique to support striking, used as part of a strategy. I can't say whether it'd work in Olympic style sparring since I've never done that.

People used to do it all the time back in the day, but not so much anymore.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is linked up properly, the whole video/youtube thing is still a mystery to me. But here's the California Blitz, from back in the day.
Just another piece of footwork, closes distance quickly, and it changes the timing from other steps one might use. With some practice, you can catch a lot of people. And it's kind of fun.

Thanks! My first TKD teacher called this a 'quick switch-step'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back to the OP, do you guys ever use it as a counter move to a spinning hook kick?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back to the OP, do you guys ever use it as a counter move to a spinning hook kick?

I've seen that attempted, but I don't think I have ever seen that score.