spinning back fist? Do you like to use this?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The spinning back fist is a flavorite move for us...not for every situtions..but it does work well for sparring so far..

Will someone be able to use this is a real fight? ...possible! We prefer to get the other person moving in side way direction and turn into them with a spinning back fist. (just make sure to follow it up with more moves..)

The spinning back fist does it work for you? ....Aloha

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, the spinning back fist can be a very potent weapon. A very long time ago I was sparring with a friend who caught me with one, and it seriously rung my bell. A few minutes later I figured I'd try one myself, and my friend tried to close in and jam me but instead caught an elbow which knocked him out cold. So yeah, I think the spinning back fist works:)

Franco

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure. It's not something I like to go out there and plan on using but I've had a couple occasions where I threw a right hand that went wild and off to the left and took me way out of position. Rather than try to pull it back I kept going and used the momentum to load up a spinning back fist using my left hand. Seemed like the fastest way to get back into position and I hit with it more often than not. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spinning techniques have their place, but they need to be set up properly, to avoid being telegraphed. I've done them in the ring, with success. I've also done them w/o the proper set up and got jammed up.

Mike

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do not like to use them. The reason why is because it means that I'm in trouble. In our art, spinning backfists (and many other spinning techniques) are used when somebody has manuveured behind you. Sparring one on one, this happens every once in a while. With multiples, this happens frequently. The nice thing about using them in this situation is that they tend to flow pretty naturally and if they connect, they can be devestating. The bad thing is that someone got behind you and now you are kind of desperate.

Anyway, good technique to practice, but, no, I don't like to use them because I don't want to be in the position where I'd have to use one.

I don't know how much use they would be for attacking someone in front of you, unless you are going to deliberately turn your back on someone???

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love a spinning back fist. Can't use it more than once or twice, but it can also setup other things...Example: I like to throw a jab that appears to be mis-aimed, towards my opponent's left ear/across his face. This blocks his entire field of view for a moment, which is all it takes to launch into the spinning backfist. This usually works the first time. I might try it one more time, but more likely, once I know he's looking for it, I'll throw the same "errant jab", then immediately fire a spinning back-kick, as I know he's looking for the backfist and protecting his head. For me, anyway....this is "money".

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else they are great, alot of power but you better hit that target.
Terry

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't and wouldn't use them. I cannot see any advantage in trying something like that. There are too many negative factors for it be useful in self defense. However, I wouldn't know about it's effectiveness in the ring though.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the combat turns I've learned for when somebody gets behind me. It's more of a clearing motion and I think a bit faster and safer. Has the potential to hit somebody trying to grab from behind with an elbo, but really not the main intent.

I'd not use a spinning move with somebody in my forward arc. Good power, but too slow and easily jammed or avoided.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of the replies so far have dealt with the spinning backfist being used in a controlled sparring or ring type situation. Do you think that they would be an effective technique in a street or life and death situation? Seeing as most street fiights end up being messy situations and lack the time needed to set up a technique like this I would think it may put you in even greater danger.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can see the spinning backfist working as an attack when someone "accidentally" gets behind you or in a multiple attack situation, where one is desperate anyway. I wouldn't want to be in the situation where I'd have to use it that way, but I think that if one ends up in that situation, it would serve a purpose.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Most of the replies so far have dealt with the spinning backfist being used in a controlled sparring or ring type situation. Do you think that they would be an effective technique in a street or life and death situation? Seeing as most street fiights end up being messy situations and lack the time needed to set up a technique like this I would think it may put you in even greater danger.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob
Rob, I agree and should have mentioned that in my earlier post. My reference in that post was to sparring. In a street/real fight, my philosophy/style is straightforward, overwhelm, obliterate. I would never say "never", but it is hard for me to imagine myself using any spinning technique on the street.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a good weapon. My only concern in using when kickboxing was not getting the distance right & it turning into a spinning elbow. In the ring, a spinning elbow isn't legal. But also, I've seen dislocations of the elbow from a poorly thrown backfist that was properly blocked.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Love the spinning back fist.... it is VERY utilitarian in that it can be disguised and used in many situations. Because a lot of folks don't like to use the spinning back fist as they have to turn their back and loose sight of their oppponent for a split second.

1.) I like to feint once or twice with the backfist then attack with a lead leg round house or vice versa. 2.) Set it up with a skipping front push kick and with my leg chambered loop up and over the top of their arm with a back fist. 3.) Feint and get them to move "out of range" and before they're finished resetting spin in and pop them.

The nice thing about the back fist is that it can be used to keep their hands up so that you can proceed with kicks to the hogu for points or keep their hands down to block a kick while you attack the head.

Just don't over use it.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Fliping channel on TV..got a chance to see a professional MMA fighter use the spinning backfist very effectively. Several times too!

This is a very powerful technique, when done quickly..catches the other person off guard. ( "Yes "if the fist do not connect,follow with elbows...)..good point above about kicks to follow...good to remember to do this...Aloha

Latest Discussions