The Korean roots of TKD

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The great thing about this is that TKD is growing up in many countries and being influenced by many cultures!

The same thing is going on in Karate!!!!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can talk about roots ad nauseum, Back thru Shotokan, Shorin, Shorei and Shaolin. However we need to keep in mind that roots are only part of plant development . Due to disease all French wine comes from plants grafted on to American grape plant roots. http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1eqcxr/til_in_the_1863_an_american_aphid_infestation/ Many things affect how the plant develops. A substantial factor is large amounts of manure. Draw your own parallels:)

My vote for best post in the thread! :boing1:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No I dont do itf tkd. We are independent but do palgwe forms and would best be described as "old school", which is probably why it seems so similar to shotokan karate.
I see. Yes, the Palgwe forms still had strong ties to the Shotokan forms.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The difference for us has been the focus...Shotokan (punching)...TKD(kicking)... The kids train 2hours a day in each...

It is funny the influence has been on both sides...Tkd is influencing the karate school...and karate influencing the Tkd school it has been cool to watch...
Successful cross pollination is always a good thing. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's note:

Please keep this discussion on topic. The off-topic posts were merged with this thread.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Assistant Administrator

Latest Discussions