The importance of running in MA training

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do a beep test every once in a while. I like running actually. Better than running is HIIT. Jog then sprint. Wash, rinse, repeat. In a typical SD scenario cardio isn't going to be a huge factor. Inoculation to violence and being able to throw down is. You're not going to be doing three five minute rounds. You need enough cardio to get the job done and not gas after being punched in the snotbox a few times.

But if you CAN do three five minute rounds, then it's all to the good. Getting to that level isn't going to do anything but improve you. Likewise running.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any of you "mature" folks on here have advice for knee pain? I have some osteoarthritis, mostly in the patella. It's not too advanced yet, but I can feel it slowly progressing. I currently take prescription strength naproxen a couple times a day, and that makes the pain tolerable, but I know it's only buying me time. I'm also trying to lose weight to help reduce stresses on the joints, with about 30 lbs to go (of course, I could lose the weight faster if the sore knees weren't limiting my cardio workouts or running). I have a couple potions I occasionally rub on them (Icy hot, Tiger balm, Blue Emu) to reduce the pain. Also try heat/ice depending on if it's just general soreness (heat) or if I just trained (ice). On bad days, I'll wear knee braces so I can train fully... but limit this so the joints stay stronger.
For the most part, the arthritis doesn't limit my MA training that much, but running is difficult, and stairs are getting aggravating. When the weather warms up, I plan to ride my bike a bit more and do some long hikes.
What I would like are some good (non-surgical) ways to reduce the condition... exercises, supplements, thermal therapy, massage, etc. Or if improvement is not possible, some advice on how to get the maximum physical activity from them while creating the least amount of additional damage.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Running" is another tool in your toolbox. I have heard MANY people advocate to others to run away in a certain situation, but literally couldn't if their life depended on it.

For those who can't run due to knee issues or other health issues, then alternates and strategies need to be made and practiced.

But, if running is your strategy, then it must be practiced and trained like any other skill. How long can you sprint? How well do you jump over obstacles in your environment to get away (fences, etc.)? How to run in a strategic manner instead of just straight? Can you run and create obstacles for your attacker? etc. etc.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as training goes I have never been a fan of long distance or extended running/cardio.

Even coming from competitive sport aspects (taekwondo and boxing) I mainly favored circuit training and interval training for cardio.

3 minutes of intense cardio, be it sprints or suicides or jump rope. then 30 second recovery.

Training my body to be able to operate in rounds and be explosive while still training cardio.

I find that long distance running is no good for fast twitch muscles, explosiveness, and knees. :dead:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Running sucks. Stairs are a better workout for both cardio and endurance.

Latest Discussions