The importance of running in MA training

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can't out run your opponent then if you

1. win, you can't get your enemy.
2. lose, you can't get away from your enemy.

Even if you may think that 1 should not be a problem but I do think 2 can be a serious problem. What's your opinion on this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a runner, never have been ( that's why I joined the RAF lol) so I wouldn't run from an attacker unless they'd been incapacitated and weren't coming after me. If I have to fight I'd don't want to be out of breath or exhausted and I'd prefer to pick my ground if possible.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
IF you are wanting to increase your cardio to high levels running is important.
IF you are training for high level fight competition running is important.
IF you are training just for self-defense it isn't real important.
IF you are training for the fun of learning a MA it isn't real important.

Even if you may think that 1 should not be a problem but I do think 2 can be a serious problem. What's your opinion on this?
If I win then I got the enemy. Why would I be running?
If I lose running away isn't an option. Wouldn't running away be an option 'before' losing?

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score

The answer to 2 is first you incapacitate, then you run. The incapacitation doesn't have to be a near death experience, just something that buys you enough time for you to get to safety. For example, a hard enough leg kick on someone who doesn't know how to defend them and who's legs aren't trained to take damage will make it rather difficult for said attacker to run after you. Or you could just go for the balls if your attacker is the type who just leaves them wide open to get rekt.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Going to echo the statements of earlier that running in general is definitely a part of the complete package in terms of tuning your body to its optimal level. The cardio of course, but even the impact is good for your bone density compared to an equal amount of cardio done on an elliptical.

To answer your question, its hard to know until your put in that situation how your fight/flight response reacts, even with full contact sparring your mind still knows its not life and death if you get knocked out/choked out. The other problem is there's no way to tell how fast someone is by looking at them in comparison to your own speed, so I'm not sure how you would be able to pre-judge the situation. I agree with Skullpunch, your best bet is probably some attempt at incapacitating, even if just momentarily so you can get a lead on them. Remember its most likely not going to be a situation where its just you and this assailant for miles and miles, you just have to run far enough to find other people/get to a crowded street.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Running away is one of the best forms of self-defense. The bad guy can't punch or stab you if you're 1000 feet away. Also, having good cardio generally will help you out if you do have to fight, so you don't get winded and too tired to continue.

That being said, you don't need to be doing marathons. I doubt many attackers will chase you on foot for more than half a mile. For general cardio-building, you do that other ways - I think short intense exercises like sprinting or plyometrics will help you more for fighting than distance running would anyway.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IF you are wanting to increase your cardio to high levels running is important.
IF you are training for high level fight competition running is important.
IF you are training just for self-defense it isn't real important.
IF you are training for the fun of learning a MA it isn't real important.

If you say that you train in MA (for a decent amount of time) but don't have the cardio to outrun the average guy in the streets, then that's pretty sad and greatly puts into question, what in the world are you training? Granted that an old guy is less likely to outrun a young, skinny guy but most dudes in the streets aren't necessarily olympian runners.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you say that you train in MA (for a decent amount of time) but don't have the cardio to outrun the average guy in the streets, then that's pretty sad and greatly puts into question, what in the world are you training? Granted that an old guy is less likely to outrun a young, skinny guy but most dudes in the streets aren't necessarily olympian runners.

I'm over 60 and have knackered knees, how far do you think I'd get by running? better for me to stand and fight, I'm old and mean with forty odd years of martial arts which has given me an arsenal of techniques I can use instinctively and ferociously, plenty of sneaky moves too.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Please note in the first sentence the term "high" as to cardio levels. I'm talking running 2-3 miles a day 5 miles a couple times a week and with numerous 10 second all out sprints during the run high.
Most persons I've encountered in the martial arts who have been training well consistently have a relatively good cardio but it isn't high level by any means.

As to outrunning someone on the street... some of us are getting into the old ranges. Like Tez I'm in my 60's and have bad knees. Both are slated for replacement. Running is not a very viable option even though my cardio is quite high.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running is not a very viable option even though my cardio is quite high
Absolutely agree, my cardio is actually good, if I could run I wouldn't get puffed out soon, it's physical movement of running that is difficult not the stamina that is lacking.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're making an assumption that seems to be made a lot here..that everyone who practices martial arts is doing it to fight. I absolutely agree running is important, especially for cardio, but some people may be doing it for another reason (such as stress release, mental health, for fun, etc.) where either being able to run or good cardio might not be important.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not train in kenpo to run away from attackers. I train in kenpo to be able to best them. I'm 5'9 and 206 pounds. I'm not going to get very far or get anywhere quickly.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Next to swimming, running is one of the best forms of cardio you can do. Having excellent cardiovascular strength will aid martial arts training but is in no way fundamental to it. Cardiovascular strength is fundamental to fighting, however.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Please note in the first sentence the term "high" as to cardio levels. I'm talking running 2-3 miles a day 5 miles a couple times a week and with numerous 10 second all out sprints during the run high.
Most persons I've encountered in the martial arts who have been training well consistently have a relatively good cardio but it isn't high level by any means.

As to outrunning someone on the street... some of us are getting into the old ranges. Like Tez I'm in my 60's and have bad knees. Both are slated for replacement. Running is not a very viable option even though my cardio is quite high.

Ok, now that I know that you're in your 60's and due for both knees, replaced, then I can't argue with what you're saying, my bad.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hey, Danny,
I have a question about knee replacements. Are your knees junked because of arthritis, or are they beat up and worn out structurally?

This whole knee replacement thing remains a mystery to me. I know a ton of guys who have them and swear by them and quite a few who aren't really pleased.

I never had had a lot of faith in doctors, then worked for five years in a physical therapy unit (a good one, too) and then I had even less faith.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, Danny,
I have a question about knee replacements. Are your knees junked because of arthritis, or are they beat up and worn out structurally?

This whole knee replacement thing remains a mystery to me. I know a ton of guys who have them and swear by them and quite a few who aren't really pleased.

I never had had a lot of faith in doctors, then worked for five years in a physical therapy unit (a good one, too) and then I had even less faith.
Buka,
Both - are beat up from injuries and have osteoarthritis that now has ground through the menisci.
I also know people who have had replacements that are doing great and others who have had problems. It is surgery and there is no absolute when it come to the human organism.

There are good doctors, there are not so good doctors; just as in every other aspect of human life. Good martial artists and not so good martial artist.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka,
Both - are beat up from injuries and have osteoarthritis that now has ground through the menisci.
I also know people who have had replacements that are doing great and others who have had problems. It is surgery and there is no absolute when it come to the human organism.

There are good doctors, there are not so good doctors; just as in every other aspect of human life. Good martial artists and not so good martial artist.

Are you going to do them one at a time or both together?