The distaste for strength in martial arts

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem is if you are physically strong you may not seek good timing or mechanical advantage.

And then you have to be stronger than everyone you go up against for any of your stuff to work. Which is a weakness.
If your "hear hug" is strong enough to squeeze your opponent to death, what else do you need?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still occasionally hear people ask why we spend so much time warming up. They'll learn one day!
That's the truth. I need that old car warm up. I can't just turn the switch and drive lol. Gotta do that "preflight check" lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still occasionally hear people ask why we spend so much time warming up. They'll learn one day! The place I'm training at at the moment I always show up early to do some extra warm up and mobility work to make sure I'm ready to go.
I always wonder, if I always do warm up before serious work out, what will happen if I have to get into a fight studently when I won't have any time to do my warmup?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always wonder, if I always do warm up before serious work out, what will happen if I have to get into a fight studently when I won't have any time to do my warmup?
That's my second worst martial arts nightmare, right after getting jumped after a harsh weight session.

The line between hard training and readiness is important. Hopefully if I'm ever mugged, it'll be on recovery day that I've had at least one decent carbohydrate.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You'll probably will be fine and the adrenaline will make things easier for you while you are fighting. I can't promise what the next day will bring, but I'm sure you'll feel it.

The good news about your question is that it applies to your attacker as well, unless he did his warm up before attacking you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's my second worst martial arts nightmare, right after getting jumped after a harsh weight session.

The line between hard training and readiness is important. Hopefully if I'm ever mugged, it'll be on recovery day that I've had at least one decent carbohydrate.
This is why I have always believed that we should reserve 25% energy to prepare for the unexpected. It's a bad idea that we get totally exhausted through work out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I rather deal with not having a pre fight warm up than to deal with trying to fight on Empty I've done that before and it's a no win situation.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll probably will be fine and the adrenaline will make things easier for you while you are fighting. I can't promise what the next day will bring, but I'm sure you'll feel it.

The good news about your question is that it applies to your attacker as well, unless he did his warm up before attacking you.
If I had a plan to jump someone, I'd absolutely be doing some stretching and light warm up beforehand. If for nothing else than to relieve some boredom and tension.

I'm also probably not the normal attacker in these situations though.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I rather deal with not having a pre fight warm up than to deal with trying to fight on Empty I've done that before and it's a no win situation.
That's my real fear. Whenever I'm out running, In the last bit I wonder how screwed I'd be if someone were to attack me right then.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This just remind me one day I hiked in a national park in Alaska. I walked on the ice surface. Suddenly I lost my footing and I got into a forward and backward split on the ice surface. I didn't know that I could do that without any warm up.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's my real fear. Whenever I'm out running, In the last bit I wonder how screwed I'd be if someone were to attack me right then.
ha ha ha.. you would be screwed. I almost had a fight with someone like that. He had been running and I was pretty much fresh. He backed down.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's possible, but certainly not inevitable. If the force scales at the same rate the mass scales, you'd have a net change of 0. If the mass scales faster, change is negative. If force scales faster, change is positive.
I'm positive I have negative understanding of mechanical engineering/physics.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think we should consider the ridiculously high price of gas these days.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is why I have always believed that we should reserve 25% energy to prepare for the unexpected. It's a bad idea that we get totally exhausted through work out.
Don't save anything while training or you'll lack something when you really need it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think we should consider the ridiculously high price of gas these days.
I like your style. $4.00 where I live. It's it's that high here then I know everyone else is about 2 steps from taking out a loan for gas.

It will get worse before it will get better. Normally I would be upset, but this time I don't mind as much. I like some of the new electric cars coming out. I think the mileage is a rip compared to some of the other cars that are out there, but I'm looking for a future investment once there is more competition.

Latest Discussions