The case for Judo as a self-defense system...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely. Much as I love the various hip throws in judo, when I do randori with a 6'4" 300lb brown belt named Rocque, foot sweeps make much more sense:pompus:
As much as I liked shooting single leg takedowns, when paired up with people several inches shorter and significantly lighter than me in practice, I had to do other things. Like force a tie-up and throw them. And as much as I liked tying up and using an arm-spin throw, when there was someone significantly stronger than me, I had to use things like the lateral throw to try to use their strength against them.

In my comfort zone, I was looking for very few things. From a tie-up, it was an arm-spin throw or a duck-under, depending on what they were giving me. Standing free, I was looking for a single leg takedown. On top, I was looking to break them down and run a half-nelson or arm bar. On the bottom, it was a switch or stand-up. On their back, it was a half-nelson or head and arm.

That’s pretty much it. They worked for me. I practiced the Fireman’s carry, ankle pick, tilt, gramby roll, Navy ride, et al more times than I can count. How many times did I use them? Many of them 2-3 times at most in my career. Most of the time successfully.

A big part of practicing them is learning how they’re set up so you don’t get caught with them too. By taking turns throwing each other with them, you get that feel and timing to take away that option for them. And you start learning to use certain throws to set up other throws (and other moves). I rarely used the head and arm throw, but practicing it taught me the timing to counter it with a dick under. I knew stand-up wouldn’t work on several opponents, so I’d start the stand-up, and would time a switch at the right moment during their counter.

The hidden benefit of knowing and practicing 20 different throws is learning to recognize them before it’s too late and being able to get yourself out of trouble before you get into it. Same for every other type of move.

All IMO.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hidden benefit of knowing and practicing 20 different throws is learning to recognize them before it’s too late and being able to get yourself out of trouble before you get into it. Same for every other type of move.

All IMO.
I'd say you nailed it. We go through all that training in the original 40... now, is it 65? judo throws so that we can know how they are executed... and I think most of that practice ends up being... you know what's coming as it starts so you know where to go and what to do so that they don't work on you.

Judo randori is a LOT of fun, and can be as mentally challenging as 3D chess. Which, really, is what it is.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say you nailed it. We go through all that training in the original 40... now, is it 65? judo throws so that we can know how they are executed... and I think most of that practice ends up being... you know what's coming as it starts so you know where to go and what to do so that they don't work on you.

Judo randori is a LOT of fun, and can be as mentally challenging as 3D chess. Which, really, is what it is.
What I really liked about wrestling was you had to think a couple moves ahead. But you really had to focus on exactly what you’re currently doing too, because if you got ahead of yourself and/or didn’t adjust to what he’s doing, you’re done.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Frank. I can't ever remember that number. After Mr. Haynes ran me through the gauntlet for my nidan demo... I think I intentionally blocked it out. Ugh. Still, ugh.

I had bought my uke, Austin, a case of beer to "compensate" for his volunteering to be my uke for the demo... we were so worn out and dehydrated after that demo we almost drank the whole case in less than an hour, sitting around talking. Again, ugh... different reason.

Latest Discussions