Anti-grappling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please spare me that blood sweat and tears crap. I dont care what they do, what they teach, what they learn, what they call it, what they believe, its none of my business. I worry about me and what I do. I could not care any less what people I dont know in a place Ive never been do. There is no standard regulatory agency to say what can and cant be an art. If thats the kinda stuff that "insults" you then you need thicker skin.

And here you are trying to have it both ways again. If you don't care about what they do, then why are you defending them?

You also didn't answer my previous question; How is that nonsense "martial arts"?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And here you are trying to have it both ways again. If you don't care about what they do, then why are you defending them?
Im not defending anyone Im pointing out the rules here that you seem to not have to follow.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im not defending anyone Im pointing out the rules here that you seem to not have to follow.

Legitimizing that crap is defending it. Placing that crap on the same level as what we do is defending it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So using your logic lets see at dfferent times Ive guarded a Pro-life and Pro-choice protesters, defending their right to speak so Which position do I defend since I put them on the same lvl as eachother? I stood guard at a KKK rally once also guess Im now a Klansman. Guarded the Westboro baptist goons 3 times guess Im part of them as well. Get real man your not the keeper of all that is a Martial Arts. If you dont like it dont do it but leave them alone at least they are out doing something and enjoying themselves this after all is a hobby for most people

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So using your logic lets see at dfferent times Ive guarded a Pro-life and Pro-choice protesters, defending their right to speak so Which position do I defend since I put them on the same lvl as eachother? I stood guard at a KKK rally once also guess Im now a Klansman. Guarded the Westboro baptist goons 3 times guess Im part of them as well. Get real man your not the keeper of all that is a Martial Arts. If you dont like it dont do it but leave them alone at least they are out doing something and enjoying themselves this after all is a hobby for most people

Your logic is faulty. They have a right to say and do whatever they want, just like I have a right to criticize them for doing what they do. Klansmen and Westboro folks have a right to march and spout off their stupidity, just like I have a right to point out that they're stupid.

Your problem here is that you're saying that per the rules, I need to respect that fantasy BS the way I respect legitimate martial arts. Frankly I don't, since that fantasy BS isn't martial arts. If you disagree, please explain how tricking people into believing that "chi balls" are knocking them out from 20 feet away is the same as what we do in the REAL martial arts.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your logic is faulty. They have a right to say and do whatever they want, just like I have a right to criticize them for doing what they do. Klansmen and Westboro folks have a right to march and spout off their stupidity, just like I have a right to point out that they're stupid.

Your problem here is that you're saying that per the rules, I need to respect that fantasy BS the way I respect legitimate martial arts. Frankly I don't, since that fantasy BS isn't martial arts. If you disagree, please explain how tricking people into believing that "chi balls" are knocking them out from 20 feet away is the same as what we do in the REAL martial arts.
No the rules dont say you need to respect anything they say you cant come on this site and Bash other arts. NO matter how much crying you do its an art

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No the rules dont say you need to respect anything they say you cant come on this site and Bash other arts. NO matter how much crying you do its an art

And again this;

OSrvgE.gif

Is not martial arts.

If you disagree, please explain.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And again this;

OSrvgE.gif

Is not martial arts.

If you disagree, please explain.
Show me the rule bookof what is and isnt a Martial Art. If there isnt one then who cares what they call it. They can consider it what ever they want

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh, so you believe that it is? Please explain how something that is complete fantasy and non-existent is classified as a martial art.
I sweat, ache, and bleed everytime I walk out of my class. Placing my art in the same category with that Dillman trash is insulting, as it should be for any martial artist who truly sacrifices for their art.

I've never seen someone metaphorically cry for validation of their art or their practice of it than the above quote. Seriously. We all may laugh and cringe at what passes for fighting methods or martial arts at times, but those who teach and learn an "art" are the ones who own it- not you, and not me. A good majority of the regular public think MAs are for kids or for movies anyway, without questionable arts even entering into the equation for them. If they have a skewed impression, who cares? My first SiFu was light-hearted enough to crack a joke about people thinking we "forgot to change out of our pajamas" when we stepped out from extended training for a lunch break while dressed in kung fu pants and t-shirts. He took his art and his teaching seriously, but did not take himself so seriously to the point he was concerned with what others thought. People outside your art don't understand or appreciate it like you do precisely for that reason; they are OUTSIDE of it.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never seen someone metaphorically cry for validation of their art or their practice of it than the above quote. Seriously. We all may laugh and cringe at what passes for fighting methods or martial arts at times, but those who teach and learn an "art" are the ones who own it- not you, and not me. A good majority of the regular public think MAs are for kids or for movies anyway, without questionable arts even entering into the equation for them. If they have a skewed impression, who cares? My first SiFu was light-hearted enough to crack a joke about people thinking we "forgot to change out of our pajamas" when we stepped out from extended training for a lunch break while dressed in kung fu pants and t-shirts. He took his art and his teaching seriously, but did not take himself so seriously to the point he was concerned with what others thought. People outside your art don't understand or appreciate it like you do precisely for that reason; they are OUTSIDE of it.

So Ballen is OUTSIDE of the martial arts now? :lol: That's who I was talking about, not the public in general.

Never have I seen a post that so utterly misses the point. The public knows silliness and nonsense when they see it. It was people OUTSIDE the arts who finally outed Dillman, not the MA community.

Frankly, you're not giving the public enough credit. They know real MA from phony MA, and they recognize the arts more geared towards children, and the arts that are more combative or physical. In the end, we should hold what we do, and those we do them with to a higher standard. The people OUTSIDE the arts do, and so should we.

If you don't wish to do that, fine. Stay out of the way of the people that do.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a hobby get over yourself, training in a MA doesnt make you special. Stop worrying about what other people train in, or what they call it. You dont like it fine dont train in it.

For some, MA is a hobby, for others its their job and livelihood. Some are professional competitors or fighters, others are instructors. Please don't be so arrogant as to believe that everyone does MA for the reasons you do it.

Or what? you will talk bad about them from behind a keyboard?

I'm amused that you viewed that as some sort of physical threat. :lol: I'm simply saying that if you don't care about the discussion, stay out of it.

Like I said before, you're way too emotional for this conversation.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some, MA is a hobby, for others its their job and livelihood. Some are professional competitors or fighters, others are instructors. Please don't be so arrogant as to believe that everyone does MA for the reasons you do it.
MOST people its a hobby sorry but thats just how it is thats not arrogance it just is.

I'm amused that you viewed that as some sort of physical threat. I'm simply saying that if you don't care about the discussion, stay out of it.
All your doing is bashing styles and people that are not even here to defend themselves or their art. You cant physically threaten anyone over the internet you give yourself too much credit. Im simply saying of you dont like a style stay away from it and stop talking smack about them
Like I said before, you're way too emotional for this conversation.
Naa its the internets man no emotion involved at all

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, you're not giving the public enough credit. They know real MA from phony MA, and they recognize the arts more geared towards children, and the arts that are more combative or physical. In the end, we should hold what we do, and those we do them with to a higher standard. The people OUTSIDE the arts do, and so should we.

Really? From my experience the general public don't really have the first clue about real martial arts.

Apparently the Kung Fu I do is Karate, the Kickboxing I do is Karate and Judo is the one where practitioners wear dressing gowns. All recent quotes from people who I'm actually quite close to as well - who evidently haven't been listening to a word I've said over the past 3 - 4 years. Thank god we don't actually have individual styles that are classified in collective terms, that would just be way too confusing ;)

As a little addition to this discussion, I myself have been the victim of some pretty crappy and incomplete training methods in the past - not on the same level as magical powers, I admit. I was bitter about it at first, annoyed and felt like showing styles and training methods up for what they are but after a little while I simply accepted it for what it was and moved on. You look like need to do the same, you don't do Kung Fu anymore Hanzou. Let it go.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a little addition to this discussion, I myself have been the victim of some pretty crappy and incomplete training methods in the past - not on the same level as magical powers, I admit. I was bitter about it at first, annoyed and felt like showing styles and training methods up for what they are but after a little while I simply accepted it for what it was and moved on. You look like need to do the same, you don't do Kung Fu anymore Hanzou. Let it go.

You do realize that that is the entire point of this thread right?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Administrator's note:

Thread closed, pending staff review.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Assistant Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions