Tested for poom belt yesterday.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We used to use the poom belt for our bo belt (recommended black, or someone who is testing for cho dan that year), which is how my master's master did it. It seems somewhat common, but we didn't call it a "poom". But in the last few years we have gone back to students under 15 wearing a poom belt instead of a solid black so we changed our bo.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1st kyu until my 2 pre-tests are done with.

Oh and by the way, my master is a 6th dan Master Yeong k. Jeong.

OK, I guess this is what caused my confusion. In my ITF school a poom belt is a Dan belt awarded to a person under a certain age, it isn't a kyu belt. A poom belt test and a black belt test are the same identical test. Sorry for the mix up!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is a poom belt? Sounds like a money making sceme to make someone wait before they can get a black belt. Must be a TKD thing.
Anyone under the age of 16 is a Poom. You can not be a Dan until 16. Once you turn 16 your Poom is automatically recognized as a Dan. No additional monies are testing is needed.

I belive this is WTF and ITF standards.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone under the age of 16 is a Poom. You can not be a Dan until 16. Once you turn 16 your Poom is automatically recognized as a Dan. No additional monies are testing is needed.

I belive this is WTF and ITF standards.

That is not entirely true at 16 you must pay the transfer fee of 45.00 to the KKW to get it recognized as a dan.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is a poom belt? Sounds like a money making sceme to make someone wait before they can get a black belt. Must be a TKD thing.

I just love it that when something sounds different than what someone is used to, it is automatically a money making scam and, thusly something to do with tkd (since TKd is just a money making scam). Maybe a school just calls a belt something different than what you call it.
sheesh.

sorry, you'd think I'd have thicker skin by now

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is not entirely true at 16 you must pay the transfer fee of 45.00 to the KKW to get it recognized as a dan.
It may be that we don't charge our students and our Master eats the cost but we do not charge or retest any student for their Dan certs once they are of age.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up to 14 you are a Poom. At 15 you test for Dan rank.

Referees must be 16 to get certified.
No test is requiered by KKW. This may be a school thing but there is no test requiered by KKW.

Latest Discussions