Tested for poom belt yesterday.

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the chance to test for my poom belt along with 2 other brown belts. The testing went very well. Got excellent gradings in every catagory. The Kicking Combinations went superb. The forms were also excellent. I was the only person not to stumble on remembering every single Step Sparring.

Sparring also went well, won my first round. Then I had a 2 v 1 round. Me being the lone person. I did very well in that round as well. But kicked my opponents bare fist in the process leaving me not able to do my jump spin hook kick break. So I did a elbow then a measly axe kick insted.

My Master surprised me by calling me infront of everyone to perform my 540 spinning hook kick. I didnt get to warm up before hand, I did it cold. But it still turned out very nicely.

-Garrett

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Garrett may I ask your age only because I have only heard of a poom belt for those under 15 years old? At anyrate confrats on your test and best of luck in your training.

OP
Garrett7

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well for my school they have poom belts to everyone ( regardless of age). Then you take 2 pre-blackbelt tests. When you take them you put the black side of the belt facing up.

But I am 16 come tomorrow.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for my school they have poom belts to everyone ( regardless of age). Then you take 2 pre-blackbelt tests. When you take them you put the black side of the belt facing up.

Do you recieve KKW certificates because if you do they will come as a Dan rank and not a poom, just because of the age. Happy early Birthday.
icon14.gif

OP
Garrett7

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you recieve KKW certificates because if you do they will come as a Dan rank and not a poom, just because of the age. Happy early Birthday.
icon14.gif

No we do not.

Should we?

and thankyou stickarts!

OP
Garrett7

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We are a WTF school. In the USWC Taekwondo association.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
All WTF Poom and Dan certs come form Kukkiwon unless the school is not Kukkiwon certified.

Congrats also.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All WTF Poom and Dan certs come form Kukkiwon unless the school is not Kukkiwon certified.

Congrats also.

Yes I know that but if he is 15 then it will be a Dan rank because the KKW does not issue poom for anyone 15 and older, This what I am getting at. Pooms are for those under 15 and Dan is over 15. Period.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I find this a little odd, but I go to an ITF school. In our school, a poom belt is a black belt, there are no other tests to take; it is an aged based thing.

Anyway, Congratulations on your new belt!

OP
Garrett7

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find this a little odd, but I go to an ITF school. In our school, a poom belt is a black belt, there are no other tests to take; it is an aged based thing.

Anyway, Congratulations on your new belt!

Well it kind of is a black belt at our school aswell. 6 months after we get it we can take our actual Black Belt ceremony/test. Leading up to that there are 2 other tests. One is over everything you have learned. The other is the physical test. After you take those two test you put the black side of the belt facing up signifying that you are ready to recieve you are a black belt. You are just awaiting the Black Belt test ( there are only 2 a year I think) to recieve the physical black belt.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Happy Birthday and congratulations on your test-sounds like it went pretty well.

It sounds like your school has you wear the poom belt as a probationary belt, with 2 more tests required?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I know that but if he is 15 then it will be a Dan rank because the KKW does not issue poom for anyone 15 and older, This what I am getting at. Pooms are for those under 15 and Dan is over 15. Period.
Yes you are correct. There are some schools out there that are not KKW certified. We had a student transfer to our school because she tried to go to a USAT national tournament and found out that her instructor was not certified and could not go as her belt was not recognized. I felt sorry for her as she was pretty good too. She has since taken her test at our school and now is a 1st Poom.

What I do not understand is her former instructor was obviously good as her techniques were solid, but he had no certification of his own. We found out that he was since taking lessons himself and was training for his 4th Dan so he could not sign certs himself. He must have opened his own school as 2nd or 3rd Dan, and expected to have his 4th Dan before he had to promote anyone himself.

OP
Garrett7

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1st kyu until my 2 pre-tests are done with.

Oh and by the way, my master is a 6th dan Master Yeong k. Jeong.